From Slave to Soldier: Based on a True Civil…

From Slave to Soldier: Based on a True Civil War Story

by Deborah Hopkinson

Other authors: Brian Floca (Illustrator)

Series: Ready-to-Read (Level 3)

562210,933 (4)1

A ready-to-read" book which is one step below "ready-for-chapters." So, about age 7. Gracefully and simply tells a true story, including some of the complexity about things like Johnny's initial ambivalence. Includes note to the reader about the history and the story behind the story." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Little Kid Reaction: "Wow, that's sad ... but good, too." I thought the book would be too young for our daughter, but she looked beyond the easy words to the story.

Big Kid Reaction: I am really glad I found this book. It focuses less on the issue of slavery and more on Johnny McCline's life and character. As an adult, and having read other accounts, it seems a little Pollyanna-ish, but I liked it for its focus on personal responsibility and perseverance.

Pros: This illustrated biography introduces new readers to the personal, true story of a slave who fought for the Union Army in the Civil War.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 14, 2013 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Floca, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Johnny loves his uncle and his master's mule, but he hates being a slave. So when he's asked to join the Union army, he accepts. Being a soldier is hard work, and Johnny wonders if he made the right choice. But when the army needs him, Johnny knows it's up to him to come to the rescue!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

A boy who hates being a slave joins the Union Army to fight for freedom, and proves himself brave and capable of handling a mule team when the need arises.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible