Nemesis (Resident Evil #5) by S.D. Perry

Nemesis (Resident Evil #5) (original 2012; edition 2000)

by S.D. Perry

194160,720 (3.51)1
Member:chaostheory08
Title:Nemesis (Resident Evil #5)
Authors:S.D. Perry
Info:Pocket (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:2012, Your library

Resident Evil: Nemesis by S. D. Perry (2012)

This is a Reading Good Books review.

Ah, the Nemesis. To me, he is the "Pyramid Head" of the Resident Evil series. Everybody knows who he is and he is one of the scariest opponents in the entire franchise. He also made an appearance on the movie adaptation, just like his Silent Hill counterpart. But if you must know, the Nemesis is a creature from Umbrella Labs programmed to hunt and kill S.T.A.R.S. members. He appears in the third Resident Evil game and the fifth book adaptation.

Jill Valentine was part of the S.T.A.R.S. team that survived the Spencer Mansion incident in the first book/game. Several weeks after the events of the third book, City of the Dead, we find Jill, now a vigilante, going solo in not only taking down Umbrella but helping survivors. Raccoon City is in ruins, overrun by the undead and unnatural. She finds herself roaming the streets of Raccoon, ending up at the RPD precinct, and being chased by the Nemesis.

Once again, SD Perry did a great job at translating the game into a book. The plot is very faithful, if not, better than the game plot. The game is played solely in Jill's POV but in the book, the author included a separate plot line from the point of view of Carlos Oliveira. Carlos is a playable character that helps Jill throughout the game, even saves her life. I love that the author gave him a voice in the book and it made the story so much better. We get to see his journey through the story and not just his parts in the game where we meet or get to play as him. At first I thought I wasn't going to like the non-Jill POV but I ended up liking that more. Jill's parts are pretty much exactly the same as in the game. If you're familiar with the game, then this won't give you anything new Jill-wise. It's the Carlos parts that make this book my favorite from the series so far.

The portrayal of the Nemesis was good although I feel that you have to see what he actually looks like in order for you to really get him. I never liked playing against the Nemesis because he's big, scary, and tough to kill. But he's less scary when I'm reading about him. The whole "STARSSSS...." thing is creepy in the book also.

So far, the book series had held up its own. I've only read those with game equivalents and I liked them. They give insight to the lesser characters from the game and in the process, gives the reader/gamer more stuff to think about. I've often wondered how the other characters felt during their individual journeys so I appreciate how SD Perry makes it a point to include those in her book adaptations.

Rating: 4/5.

Recommendation: Not a good place to start the series. But if you've read the previous books and/or played the games, it's a nice companion piece. ( )
  chaostheory08 | Nov 12, 2012 |
Yield not to evils, but attack all the more boldly. Virgil
Carlos was just getting out of the shower when the phone rang.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067178496X, Mass Market Paperback)

Zombies. Mutant animals. Bioengineered weapons and surgically enhanced monsters. Secret labs and widespread conspiracies. It seemed impossible, but Kill Valentine and her teammates among the S.T.A.R.S. had seen it all firsthand when the Umbrella Corporation turned Raccoon City into a staging ground for the most insidious genetic experiments ever conceived. After all she's been through, Valentine is ready to leave that remote mountain community forever. But Umbrella isn't finished with Raccoon City. Too much evidence of their unethical and immoral research still exists. It must be recovered or destroyed -- and quickly -- before it can be traced back to Umbrella. And with William Birkin's mutagenic virus already spreading through the city like wildfire, drastic measures are needed. Under cover of night, mercenary teams have entered the city, along with something else -- Umbrella's failsafe: an evolved version of its Tyrant-class killing machines, a lethal creature code-named Nemesis. Now Nemesis is on the hunt. And Jill Valentine is about to become prey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:28 -0400)

The Umbrella Corporation turned Raccoon City into a testing ground for its bioengineered weapons and surgically enhanced monsters. Jill Valentine and her teammates among the S.T.A.R.S. saw it all firsthand, and that means they are now prey.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible