Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy by S.…

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy

by S. D. Perry

English (9)  Danish (1)  All languages (10)
I loved this Survival Horror novel!! The details with the zombies was so descriptive, I could imagine one right in front of me!! I really like the beginning and the middle where they in the beginning the S.T.A.R.S were researching these new mysterious cannibalism deaths in Raccoon City! Also, while they research they find this research lab in a big estate called the Spencer Estate. Where in that lab they are researching on what those cannibals are. So, some of the S.T.A.R.S. group (Jill, Chris, Wesker etc.) have to pack up and be prepared for the most shocking situation they have ever faced. I also really loved the video game franchise and I was so happy to find a novel based on it. I love this book and I can't wait to read "Resident Evil: Caliban Cove" Summary: In this little remote city, Racoon City, there were mysterious deaths happening. Like human bite marks on the victims, The police thought it was Cannibalism, but the S.T.A.R.S soon figure it out when a small group of S.T.A.R.S are sent a abandoned mansion called "Spencer's Estate." Jill, Wesker, Chris, and more are then attcked by zombies called B.O.W.S that also mutate into other monsters. They soon find a small labratory in the estate that are test subjects like dogs and wolves. Chris soon meets this 18 yr old girl named Rebecca. Who is smart when it comes to Medications, poisons, and other medical, hazardous stuff. They all eventually figure out that one of their S.T.A.R.S teammates has betrayed them. ( )
  DevonS.B3 | Dec 7, 2013 |
This is a Reading Good Books review.

It’s Halloween month and the zombies are out to get you!

Zombie fiction at least. This horror subgenre has experienced a surge in popularity in the recent years. From the countless zombie movies and the hit show The Walking Dead, it became so popular that it has its own shelf at Barnes & Noble, just like vampire fiction.

But zombie fiction is far from being a “new” genre. From Mary Shelley (Frankenstein, you know, raising the dead), to HP Lovecraft, to the modern zombie portrayals by George A. Romero, zombies have been scaring people for a very long time. Even the thought of a decaying undead being out to eat your brains is scary enough. The survival horror genre in video games exemplifies that terror.

The Resident Evil franchise has a huge following. In fact, if you ask me what is the first thing that enters my mind when I hear the word “zombie”, it’s this game. (Not movie. Please, the live action movie is a joke. Stick with the animated films, Degeneration and Damnation.) Although I prefer Silent Hill more, RE is not far behind. I remember my dad and I playing these games, he was on the controls and I help him solve the puzzles. Through the years, I followed the adventures of Jill Valentine, Chris and Claire Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong, Barry Burton, Albert Wesker, etc.

The Umbrella Conspiracy is the first in a series of video game novelizations. It follows the first game with the STARS team at the Spencer Mansion. In the game, the POVs are split between the Jill scenario and Chris scenario. In the book, the POV switches amongst the characters but it still follows the general storyline of the game. It is very interesting how they managed to get more handgun ammo as they explored the mansion. I also liked how the reading of the random journals and files were portrayed. The story steadily moves forward through the eyes of the characters and it was very easy to follow. I love that the key puzzles were featured although not explained in length. Hey, this is not a walkthough, you know.

After reading this, I never thought that the story itself was a bit short. Playing it seems longer with all the puzzles and zombie dodging and shooting, and all that scary stuff. The book was not as scary as the game but it’s nice to read what the characters were thinking of while in that situation. Where was Wesker when Jill and Chris were off solving puzzles? What’s up with Rebecca? But the author started some possible subplots early in the book only to abandon those storylines in the end in favor of game canon.

You don’t have to have played the game to appreciate this book. However, it adds to the enjoyment if you are familiar with it. There are little gems included in the book that an RE gamer would like. A “Jill sandwich”, anyone?

Rating: 3/5.

Recommendation: It’s an easy train read. If you’re familiar with the games, you might like it. If you’re a fan of the games, you’ll love that they included that one line from Barry that made the game awesome. ( )
  chaostheory08 | Oct 14, 2012 |
Great book unless you have seen the movies or played the games. The suspense is lost if you have any knowledge whatsoever of the series. Still enjoyable, mindless read. Their are parts where their is trouble following the story, however, it is still fun. ( )
  Anulet | Sep 13, 2011 |
this was a great book it kept me on the edge of the chair. it kept me guessing and it wasnt a normal plot line ( )
1 vote NaHa0827 | Jan 31, 2011 |
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy is the book of the first game in the Resident Evil series. The Umbrella Conspiracy not only looks at what happens to jill and chris but also go in to detail about Umbrella and Albert Wesker that they did not go into in the game. ( )
  jsegovia | Mar 19, 2009 |

When a remote mountain community is suddenly beset by a rash of grisly murders, the Special Tactics and Rescue Squad--a paramilitary unit--is dispatched to investigate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,359,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible