A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of…

A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, Book 1)

by Tracie Peterson

This is book one in the "Brides of Gallatin County" series and we are off to a great beginning. Tracie Peterson has always been an author I have enjoyed reading. Her characters are people you can relate to, who struggle through hardships and sorrows, but endure through it and come out stronger. The cover on these stories are also what drew me in - well done!

The three Gallatin sisters find their father accidentally shot and killed in a remote Montana town. They own and run the roadhouse at the crossroads of two stage lines. The oldest girl, Gwen, thinks she is "cursed" because death seems to follow her wherever she goes. Her husband died on her wedding day several years ago. Now her late husband's brother, Hank Bishop appears on the scene in search of his brother and the "stock certificates" he stole when he left home. Gwen finds out her husband lied to her about who he was, so she feels she can't trust Hank now either when his feelings are declared.

The three sisters in the story have very different personalities and I enjoyed each of them equally. They have a strong bond as sisters and some of their antics were hilarious when Hank first comes to town. Each of these girls have things in their past that they are dealing with; having a mother who died and a father who moved them around alot. It was interesting to see how each one was affected by the life they grew up with. The neighbor lady who helps them through their struggles had alot of wisdom and good advice and I appreciated how she helped them and how she kept them focused from a biblical standpoint. This was just an all-around good story with alot going on, which kept the story moving. I look forward to reading the next two stories in this series. ( )
  judyg54 | May 3, 2013 |
This is my first experience reading Tracie Peterson. I felt the first book of this 3 book series had a slow build of characters. However once the story was laid out, it had twists and turns that made it well worth reading. The characters are solid. They don't waiver, no matter what they face. Very enjoyable.
  Sherri3d | Jan 14, 2011 |
okay--nothing special. ( )
  drausche | Nov 15, 2010 |
Wonderful story of three sisters, who having already lost their mother at a young age, find themselves suddenly orphaned when their Pa is gunned down in an accidental shooting. This is a story written in full Christian faith but not overwhelmingly so. It almost made my 5 star list but just a few things short.

At times, I felt that the story was being dragged down by saying the same things over but in different ways. Mostly, this was in the character dialogue dealing with religion, and although it didn't turn me off...I just feel this author has a gift in saying it the 1st time so well it could be left at that. The other thing that got me kind of put off was with Gwen and her feelings of being cursed it was a bit to much repetition for me. The first few times it was in the story it was acceptable as it made since with the way the story was going but after that it just got on my nerves, and I kept thinking... she is acting like a child, enough is enough.

Even with a few nit picky things there is NO denying this author has a talent in getting into your heart with her stories. I look forward to her next one. ( )
  justablondemoment | Mar 12, 2010 |
Three spirited sisters facing life alone in the wild west make for an enjoyable read in this start to a new series by Tracie Peterson. The story starts with the death of the girls father--a death that seems to be taken quite matter of factly by the older two girls, Gwen and Beth, but that gets the youngest daughte Lacy all riled up. She is determined to figure out how and who was behind her father's death--but Gwen and Beth seem too busy trying to figure out how the sisters are going to keep their boarding house going to care. But then a mysterious stranger named Hank shows up at the boarding house--claiming to be the brother of Gwen's deceased husband Hank and making impossible demands. Now Gwen, Beth and Lacy have a common foe to unite against--but is he a foe or a friend in disguise?
This novel set during the time of the wild west in Monatana was a lot of fun to listen to. I loved the wester drawl that the narrator gave the characters when appropriate. Peterson weaves a skillful love story and creates a cast of colorful characters appropriate for the her wilderness setting. Fans of Christian romance, especially historicals, should definitley give this one a try. ( )
  debs4jc | Aug 3, 2009 |
To Deb and Brian,
who give me hours of
radio listening,
laughs, and encouragement!
"Miss Gwen! Miss Gwen! You gotta come quick!"
In her mind weakness equates itself to vulnerability...and then more pain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764201484, Paperback)

Gwen, Beth, and Lacy Gallatin fashion a life for themselves in the Montana wilds, operating a roadhouse that is located at the crossroads of two major stage lines. When their father is accidentally killed, the oldest sister, Gwen, reasons that she's cursed. After all, death seems to haunt her: her mother, now her father...and she was married for a mere ten days before her husband died from a bout of measles.

As Gwen and her sisters struggle to maintain the inn on their own, an unexpected visitor adds to the mayhem. Hank Bishop claims to be searching for something in the possession of Gwen's late husband. But mayhem of another sort builds in Gwen's heart as she finds a growing attraction to this man. Can she dare to hope that love might again be hers?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

After years spent following their father and his wanderlust, the three Gallatin sisters begin to fashion a life for themselves in the Montana wilds, operating a roadhouse at the crossroads of two stage lines. When their father is accidently killed, however, the oldest sister, Gwen, reasons that she's cursed. Death seems to haunt her every step. As the sisters work to maintain the roadhouse, an unexpected visitor arrives, sending Gwen into turmoil. Is he whom he claims to be? And can she dare to hope that love might again be hers?… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible