Violet by Design by Melissa Walker

Violet by Design

by Melissa Walker

Series: Violet (2)

919132,676 (3.52)3
2010 (1) Box 15 (1) brasil (2) chick lit (2) choices (1) eating disorder (1) ebook (3) fashion (4) fiction (6) fol (1) friendship (1) identity (1) kids (1) love (1) model (2) modeling (5) models (1) own (3) Paris (2) read (1) series (1) signed (1) Susan (1) teen (3) to-read (9) travel (1) TS (1) Violet (1) YA (6) young adult (4)

Melissa Walker's Violet trilogy offers a fun, pop-culture-filled look at the modeling industry from the point of view of a regular teen girl plucked from obscurity to make it big on the runways of New York, Brazil, and Paris. ( )
  wsquared | Apr 13, 2010 |
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Violet has had the time of her life in New York. After being spotted by her now agent Angela Blythe at the Palace Theaters, and then being swept away to NYC (and with a little hesitation from her parents), Violet was able to experience all that goes on in the modeling world. From the runway shows to the crazy designers to having a backstabbing roommate with an eating disorder to her fake, jerk of an ex-boyfriend.

She survived it all and now Violet is back in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, trying to spend as much time away from New York as she can while leaning more towards her friends and family.

Being in the fashion industry is beginning to take a toll on Violet. Sure, she is able to travel to Brazil and even France on short notice, wear all of the designer clothing that's too expensive to even look at, and have all the boys fall for her (even if it's for all the wrong reasons). But Violet just can't see herself as a true model. Her insecurities, including those about her weight, are always present.

The longer she's away the more troubles and problems Violet starts to have, especially when she tries to speak out on some important issues, which doesn't necessarily bode well with her agency. One of the designers in Brazil is showing some interest in Violet, but, for some reason, her heart goes out to her dorky best friend, Roger. Will Violet's escapades in international modeling be the deciding factor in whether she should stay in the modeling world? Or will the limelight shine bright over what she truly wants?

VIOLET BY DESIGN is a strong follow-up to the first novel in the series, VIOLET ON THE RUNWAY. Melissa Walker creates a story that acknowledges all the realistic aspects of a world that seems flawless and characters that are intriguing and easy to relate to. A wonderful read, VIOLET BY DESIGN does not disappoint. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
Susan says: In this sequel Violet is just ramping up her modeling career by flying to Brazil for Brazilian Fashion Week. There her naivete gets her into trouble again and again – first she falls in love with a young Brazilian designer, then agrees to do his fashion campaign without talking to her agent. As the book moves on, Violet’s clear indecision about the modeling industry causes her to leave Brazil, move home, eat a lot, then go to Spain for European Fashion Week. But her weight gain then causes a moral dilemma about weight gain and loss and what she is willing to do for such an exciting career. She also realizes at the end of the book that she is in love with her friend Roger – stay tuned for book three. ( )
  59Square | Aug 1, 2009 |
Violet thought she was going to leave the modeling world behind, but when she gets a chance to model in Brazil– how can she say no? Her one modeling gig lands her as the face for the new and upcoming designer Paulo, did I mention he is hot! But things in Brazil don’t exactly work out as Violet planned and she jets home spending her days eating ice cream and vegging on the couch.That of course lands Violet in some trouble when she shows up in Spain five pounds heavier. Violet, however, has her own thoughts about models and their weight. And when those thoughts become public it just might ruin her modeling career. Can Violet survive the pressure to be thin and stay true to herself, and for once figure out exactly what it is that she wants before it’s too late?I loved Melissa Walker’s debut novel Violet on the Runway and the sequel is just as good or even better. I loved the fact that Walker chooses to shed light on body image and what healthy should be. It’s nice to see that such a perfectly portrayed world, has it’s flaws. Violet continues to grow and to find herself. I loved seeing most of the characters returning for the second book and I can’t wait to read more about them in Violet In Private. They are all intriguing in their own way and very relatable. I was so engrossed in the story I read the book in one setting! Oh, Roger. I must know what happens next! ( )
  the_story_siren | Jul 2, 2009 |
Violet Greenfield has gone from a nobody to an international runway model. After returning home to get away from the modeling business for a while, Angela approaches Violet about modeling in Brazil and Violet jumps at the chance to travel internationally.

Things start out brilliantly until Violet's insecurities once again get the better of her. Violet manages to get all the shows, all the clothes, and all the guys but once again the designers and her agent have to have her perfect and Violet can't handle it.

Weight becomes a greater issue in this book and Violet is unable to keep her weight exactly where the designers and her agent want it. The only way she can think of to vent is to post on her blog. Little does she know that her friends and teenagers are not the only people reading. Her dilemma becomes fodder for the press and Violet gets in deeper than she can handle.

When she is asked to do a campaign promoting better health for teen girls, Violet thinks that it may be the beginning of a new type of modeling world. That is, until she is told that she needs to lose five pounds and keep the weight off for the shoots. It's too late for Violet to back out but she begins to feel like she is betraying herself and all the teenagers that look up to her when she poses for the shoot. And all the while she is losing herself, she finds herself losing her best friend and possibly the love of her life, Roger.

Will Violet's career be able to last through her insecurities and weight issues or will it and she break under the pressure? Will she be able to fix things between her and Roger or did she blow her only chance?

Violet By Design is the followup to Violet On The Runway and is followed by Violet In Private. This second installment in the series is by far the best so far but I have high hopes for Violet In Private. ( )
  kbpup903 | Feb 26, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219402, Paperback)

I was going to get out of the modeling business for good.

But now I'm having trouble sticking with my decision. After all, if it wasn't for modeling, I might still be the invisible wallflower. Hot guys like Paulo wouldn't be interested in me. And I'd never have seen Brazil or Spain-and now France! On the other hand...

I also wouldn't have to choose between my best friend from home and my agent's shrill demands. Or anguish over my body the way only runway models do. Not to mention all this trouble I'm getting into for speaking out in the press about eating disorders.

Maybe the life of an international model isn't for me. But if I quit for good, I might always wonder...What if?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:20 -0400)

Despite her intentions to give up runway modeling, eighteen-year-old Violet is lured back by the promise of travel to Brazil, possibly Spain and France, and, after seeing her best friends off to college, embarks on an, often exciting, often painful, international adventure.… (more)

Melissa Walker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,376,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible