Unholy Domain by Dan Ronco

Unholy Domain

by Dan Ronco

5719207,436 (3.68)2

Review of member giveaway ebook
This techno-thriller starts a few years after the events in ‘Peacemaker’ but works well as a stand alone novel. Set in a world drastically altered by the chaos caused by the rogue AI attack. With fanatical anti-technology religious sects and shadowy manipulation by the covert organisation Domain; Dan the son of the main protagonist in ‘Peacemaker’ tries to uncover the truth about his father.
This is a fast paced entertaining read. ( )
  AMAMUR | Nov 2, 2011 |
‘Unholy Domain’ can be best described as a science fiction techno-thriller combined with speculative fiction. This is the second book in a trilogy, set between ‘Peacemaker’ and ‘2031: The Singularity Pogrom’. I have to date not read the other two in the series, but did not find this a hindrance while reading this book. References are made to ‘Peacemaker’, yet they are fairly self-explanatory.

Set in a highly believable Gibson-style dystopian future where humanity is fighting itself over the use of technology: this novel brings into focus long held fears of what would happen to humanity if technology went too far. Or if we lost our access to technology and reverted back to a time before we were so reliant on it. There are classic Marxist similes in this novel and it is easy to see the disparity between rich and poor, religious and capitalist etc. This novel creates a future that is not so different from human history and some nations at present and utilises themes that are likely to follow humanity for many more centuries.

The world is a very different place from our own, society and its infrastructure are falling into disrepair. Humanity is split and there are two battling factions (the Domain and the Church of Natural Humans) who are not too perturbed over the body count they create. Religion and science are pitted against each other both fighting for control of the people. The American government is weak and the public are confused and afraid.

Ten years previously the PeaceMaker virus crippled the internet, left thousands of people dead and the world in its greatest depression. In response to this governments put a hold on technological advancement and left the people with crumbling services and cities. Technology is only available to those who can afford black market prices and everyone else only has access to technology from prior to the PeaceMaker attack, which is speedily becoming irreparable.

David Brown is the son of the man accused of creating the PeaceMaker virus and has spent his life haunted by his father’s crime and victimised for believing in technology. He is swept into the war between science and religion upon the receipt of a time delayed email from his dead father. In an attempt to find out more about his father he contacts the few people left alive who knew him and quickly gets the top spot on the both factions’ hit lists. It is up to David to find out who caused the PeaceMaker virus, avenge his father’s murder and clear his name. In doing so David discovers that he has a gift that could change the path of human evolution and bring us all closer to technology.

This is a gripping tale that reminds us of our dependency on technology and reaffirms fears of what would happen if terrorists were able to affect the internet and consequently financial markets and our own personal electronic data. A highly recommended read. ( )
  paigelucken | Jul 19, 2011 |
could not get pdf from author to open, so could not read. Sounds like a good book.
  sdrobert | Jul 7, 2011 |
This is a novel that really causes the reader to take a step back, look out the window, and think. A possible prophetic message, the author crafts a realistic future for mankind. Do we depend on technology too much? Do we use technology as a crutch? The author creates a very realistic novel, the computer technology appears all to real and the reader cannot dismiss the valid questions and facts discussed in the book. A disconnect in communication for the people on this Earth currently would be disastrous, and yet, technology itself is a fairly new development. The characters are fresh and help to draw the reader in, the plot is by far one of the best this reader has come across in the science fiction genre, and the overall book is both enjoyable and disturbing. The novel is very fast-paced, contains intrigue and action, and is a guaranteed good-read for anyone (young adult-adult) who enjoys science fiction. ( )
  Icecream18 | May 21, 2011 |
To The Point Review: Book 2 of the Domain Trilogy did not disappoint. This is a sequel that is better than the first book.

Full Review: Dan Ronco's vision of the future is an interesting one indeed. In his first book, Peacemaker, we were introduced to a computer geek, Ray Brown, who battled a group called the Domain, who, not surprisingly, were planning on ruling the world. Now we fast forward 10 years into the future, the Domain has reorganized and Ray's son, David, finds himself battling the Domain and trying to thwart their plan of world dominance (sound familiar?). This is a fast paced, well written cyber thriller, that causes you to think, "I'll read just one more chapter!" Character development is improved in the second installment of this trilogy and the author has refrained from adding filler to the narrative (one of my few complaints in the first book). What I really found interesting was the development of the religion versus technology theme throughout the story. The Church of Natural Humans is anti-technology supported in part by a government that is scared of technology (a result of the struggle depicted in the first book). Currently the world is in an economics depression. The Domain and some members of the population feel that technology is the only answer to pulling the world out of this depression. This sets up numerous interactions between the Church and the Techies giving the author (and the reader) the opportunity to explore the phiosophical issues driving both groups. This is a book any techno-thriller reader should enjoy. I know I look forward to reading the last installment of the Domain Triolgy. ( )
  realfish | May 3, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Dan Ronco's book Unholy Domain was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Dan Ronco is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,567,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible