Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the…

Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out

by Dr. Phil McGraw

Great Book ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I started this book, but didn't get very far before I felt a bit battered by Dr. Phil's constant "in your face" style. (And I'm not a wimp when it comes to self-development). I just found this repetetive and dull, like some of his other writing (and what he says on television, too, from what I remember). I did some of the exercises, but ultimately decided this wasn't the right book for me. ( )
1 vote herebedragons | Feb 10, 2007 |
Change yourself and change the world. True up to a point and if it gets you out of a poor marriage, bad job etc then go for it. The real test is making the bad marriage work or accepting that’s poor is what you have to settle for as nothing is perfect.

Can’t say I found the book useful. It’s along the line of those programmes that sell your house such as House Doctor. No matter the house the advice is the same. Declutter, think the buyer wants to project themselves into the house, make it light and feel roomy etc. This says be honest with yourself and others. Be authentic. Take responsibility! Never really deals with that failure may because you are not up to it or because you are not going to succeed while in that job with that boss and you cant get another job. Guess for me the question is what do you do when you have to face that life is a f****p some times and no being positive is going to change that?

Oh I should add I Love the show but then I am still suffering withdrawal symptoms from the only national radio agony phone in ( say like in Sleepless in Seattle) with Anna Raeburn which went off the air 10 years ago! ( )
  ablueidol | Nov 5, 2006 |
Interesting ideas. Will have to think about a lot of the ways of change he proposes. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 24, 2005 |

In Leef voor jezelf daagt Dr. Phil je uit op zoek te gaan naar je 'ware ik'; de persoon die je altijd al had willen zijn, maar die je nooit durfde te worden. Dit boek leert je hoe je je ware ik kunt vinden.
De onomwonden adviezen en duidehjke taal waarmee Dr. Phil McGraw bekend is geworden, zijn in dit boek opnieuw aanwezig. Met behulp van nuttige tests krijgje antwoord op belangrijke levensvragen. Wat voor invloed heeft je familie opje huidige functioneren? Besteed je eigenlijk wel genoeg energie aan je ware zelf? Een zeer vooruitstrevend boek over zelfbeeld en eigenwaarde.
Dr. Phil McGraw werd bekend als adviseur in de Oprah Winf rey Show. Intussen heeft hij zijn eigen tv-show. Hij is de auteur van Leer te leuen, Red je relatie!, Voel je goed in je lijf en Gezin eerst.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074322423X, Hardcover)

Your life has a root core that, once understood, unlocks a powerful force to create your life the way it was meant to be, the way you want and need it to be. Key questions and an amazingly clear "map" are now at your fingertips to begin your journey to "Live by Design." These are questions that, with the help of this book, you can answer and bring into action-oriented focus: What are the ten most defining moments of your life? What are the seven most critical choices you have made to put you on your current path? Who are the five most pivotal people in your world and how have they shaped you?

Identifying and working with these key elements are at the heart of Dr. Phillip C. McGraw's latest work, Self Matters, and soon they will be at the heart of your own new work: you.

Through his books, McGraw has changed the lives of millions. In introducing the world to his matter-of-fact, tell-it-like-it-is philosophy of life, Dr. Phil, as he is known to his legions of fans, has put an end to the "everyone's a victim" attitude that had taken hold of our culture. Published in over twenty-five countries, and with millions of books sold, his two number one bestsellers, Life Strategies and Relationship Rescue, forced readers to take a serious look at the excuses they had so long been clinging to as to why they were not happy, not successful, and not enjoying their one chance at living.

Now, Dr. Phil takes those lessons a great leap further and explores one of the most challenging questions facing us all: When you look in the mirror, who is truly hiding beneath that face? Instead of taking a surface look at the way we live our lives, Dr. Phil demystifies how your self-concept came to be and gives a nuts-and-bolts approach to creating a new plan for living and, in turn, for discovering the real you.

In this groundbreaking work, Dr. Phil challenges you to find your "authentic self" -- that person you once were before life took its toll. It is you at your greatest, most fulfilled, most real moment. It is the person you have always wanted to be, but were too distracted, busy, or scared to become. Instead, you have created a "fictional self" -- taking on the identity of who you believe you are supposed be, the person people tell you you are. The incongruence between these two selves is what leads you to feel that your life is incomplete, unbalanced, and altogether more difficult than it really should be.

The good news is it no longer needs to be that way. By using the plan set forth in Self Matters, Dr. Phil helps you to demystify your self-concept and learn how to reclaim your authentic self. In evaluating your life by only the facts, you can learn to think beyond the excuses and fears that have masked the person you have always wanted to be.

Self Matters is one of the most forward-thinking works on self-concept and self-esteem ever published. For the first time, an author tells it how it is and, in the process, teaches us all how to live the lives we have always wanted but prevented ourselves from living. We get only one chance in this world, and now, Dr. Phil shows all how to make the most of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:28 -0400)

Addresses the issues of self and self-esteem, demonstrating how to fully realize one's own power through a plan that explains how to overcome fear and fulfill personal potential.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,726,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible