Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and…

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy (1995)

by Sarah Ban Breathnach

Recently added byBarbaraLN, ushetty, Cosettey, LynnStutz, clcl27, raparin, dfazzi23, firstluth, private library, chrisrin

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
No, I didn't finish it. Not the book for me. My rule (which works pretty well for fiction) is to try to read at least 25%, and generally by that time I'm into the book and go ahead and finish it. It didn't work so well here.

I immediately felt a disconnect with this book. It seemed a little too preachy. But I decided to stick with it. Like some others, I did get a worthwhile push from her discussion of the gratitude journal, and I applied that lesson to my prayer journal which has a section for "thanks."

But her other exercises didn't appeal to me. And, to be honest, I don't think I need help in finding my "authentic self."

The book title uses the term "simple abundance" and she would refer to it often. I felt I would have appreciated an overview of what she meant by it. The piecemeal explanations just weren't giving me a big picture.

Still, I had promised myself to read through whatever page corresponds to April 1. (Oddly, there are no page numbers in this huge tome.)

But the more I read the more she reminded me of what I dislike about Martha Stewart and her ilk. Her new-age spirituality was a turn-off, although she apparently was trying hard not to offend anybody who isn't religious. I am religious, and don't mind saying so.

Late in Feb., she challenged her readers - had they been doing those exercises from January? The gratitude journal and 3 or 4 others. She said something to the effect that if the reader wasn't doing those, they should give the book away to somebody who wanted to take the journey with her. I guess I should have listened.

Still, it was only a bit more than one month's worth of essays. So I stuck it out. And now I'm celebrating the fact that I am DONE with this book. Others may feel differently. So the book goes back to the public library to be available for them
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Amazed that there are no other reviews. Maybe this is not the most common edition of this title. I recommend. Sentimental value is 5 stars, but will give 4.5 star rating ( )
  haikupatriot | Nov 20, 2015 |
I've had this book a dozen years now and have worked with it from time to time, but it's time to send it out to be considered by another. It's a daily journey to help one, as the author says in her introduction, "live in a state of grace." I won't pretend I got there, but it was meaningful from time to time.

Bookcrossing:
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Excellent Book! ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I first heard about this when the author was on Oprah. This book really helped me so much! It's best if you can start it at the very beginning of the year, but it's still okay to use it at any time. It's a daily reading and it will help you get organized and simplify your life and find more joy every day. ( )
1 vote Augster | Jan 7, 2012 |
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.

-Louise Bogan
Her eye, her ear, were tuning forks, burning glasses, which caught the minutest refraction or echo of a thought or feeling....She heard a deeper vibration, a kind of composite echo, of all that the writer said, and did not say. -Willa Cather

For Chris Tomasino with love and gratitude and Katie who is the Deeper Vibration Always

One moved heaven for this book, the other moved earth.
Foreword:
Several years ago, after I'd written two books celebrating nineteenth-century domestic life, I was about to begin writing one on Victorian decorative details.
January, the month of new beginnings and cherished memories, beckons.

De eigentijdse levenskunst van het genoeg
Dit bekoorlijke boek biedt inspiratie en stof om over na te denken voor elke dag van het jaar. Deze schatkamer vol inspirerende woorden is geschreven voor vrouwen op zoek naar een oprecht, harmonieus en vervullend leven. Uitgangspunt is het even eenvoudige als bijzondere besef dat je alles wat je nodig hebt om gelukkig te zijn, al bezit.
Eenvoud in overvloed verwoordt duidelijk en herkenbaar deze nieuwe eigentijdse levenskunst van het genoeg.

Dankbaarheid, eenvoud, orde, harmonie, schoonheid en vreugde
Aan dit boek liggen zes praktische, creatieve en spirituele principes ten grondslag: dankbaarheid, eenvoud, orde, harmonie, schoonheid en vreugde. Deze vormen de leidraad bij een innerlijke ontdekkingsreis die aanzet tot bezinning en verandering.

Eerlijk, oprecht en inspirerend
Eenvoud in overvloed is een boek om stukje bij beetje te lezen, te koesteren, te overdenken en te herlezen, alleen of met anderen. Voor wie zoekt naar het buitengewone in het alledaagse, vindt een leven vol rijkdom en eenvoud.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446519138, Hardcover)

This book features 366 essays penned from a woman's perspective. Sample topics include gratitude, harmony, self-nurturing, positive body image, the importance of scented linen closets, and many others. Each essay sports a pithy quote from (surprise!) the likes of Kahlil Gibran. Viewed uncritically, it's hard to argue with Simple Abundance's earnest admonitions to appreciate life, in all its messy imperfect excellence. And the fact that serenity and happiness are each in dreadfully short supply can excuse some of the treacly writing. But Breathnach sometimes lapses into what can only be described as her "Martha Stewart on Prozac" voice, and the results are aggravating to the extreme: "If you've been hesitant to strike up a reciprocal relationship with your guardian angel, don't be." Fans of guardian angels will greet these feel-good essays every morning with the rising sun, a cup of mint tea, and a bluebird chirping on the windowsill, and be happy. Skeptics will prefer their coffee very black.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

366 essays "written for women who wish to live by their own lights," celebrating "the mystical alchemy of style and Spirit."--Cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,513,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible