Devil's Blood by Sharon Kay Penman
7273512,849 (4.31)1 / 117
    Time and Chance by Sharon Kay Penman (Kasthu)
    When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman (Kasthu)
    The Courts of Love by Jean Plaidy (DevourerOfBooks)
    DevourerOfBooks: Plaidy lets Eleanor of Aquitaine tell her own story in a very engaging way.
    The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick (ladymacbeth1)
    ladymacbeth1: Elizabeth Chadwick's style is similar to Sharon Kay Penman's. If you liked reading about William Marshal in Devil's Brood, you'll enjoy Chadwick's biographical fiction on the man.
    The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick (ladymacbeth1)

My favorite Penman books are "Sunne in Splendor" and "Here Be Dragons." I wouldn't rate this book quite as high--it wasn't as moving--but it was engrossing. And I think the trilogy builds and is cumulative in it's power. Penman certainly is wonderful at making you see the different points of views of her conflicting characters. If in the two previous novels I definitely felt it tilted to one side in this one I was more torn between Henry and Eleanor, Henry and his sons. The whole plot line reminds me very much of King Lear--and tragedy of the sharpest kind. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Apr 21, 2016 |
The breakdown of the Plantagenets at the end of Henry II's time is chronicled in necessarily excruciating detail. starting in 1172, it follows the rising level of violence as the impatient sons jockey for the big prize. Somehow, this is not one of Penman's livelier efforts, there not being enough action sequences, but far too many family gatherings at Christmas where things are discussed and not shown. It would leave a big hole if missed, but it is just flatly done. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 23, 2016 |
Amazing. Sharon Kay Penman truly is the master when it comes to historical fiction. This third installment in her Plantagenet series is overflowing with historical detail, but is first and foremost a very sensitive evaluation of a marriage and a family that tears itself apart. Penman sticks closely to the historical facts, and as well she might, because this family saga needs no embroidering. While it is yet another large book, the pages just turn themselves and I was sad to see it end. The author handles a vast cast of characters with ease and while it is a very engaging and entertaining story, I also learned a lot. This book is, imo, the best of the series and I will definitely revisit it at some point. Five stars is really not enough. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Incredible. That one word basically sums up my thoughts on Sharon Kay Penman’s Devil’s Brood, an epic work of historical fiction focused on the final years of the reign of Henry II and his marriage to Eleanor of Aquitaine. Penman brings the medieval court of Henry II to life like no other author can, leaving the reader feeling as if they are witnessing first hand the turbulent final years of Henry II’s reign rather than just being an outside observer through the pages of a book.

I’ve always been intensely interested in the reign of Henry II, as well as his relationships with both Eleanor of Aquitaine and their sons. Devil’s Brood brings Henry to life not only as a ruler, but also as a husband and father. It also presents a balanced view of the reasons for Hal, Richard and Geoffrey’s rebellions against their father, and Eleanor’s early support for them. Although I’ve always respected the intelligence and political acumen of Eleanor of Aquitaine, I can’t say I ever really warmed to her in any of the works of historical fiction I’ve read in which she’s been featured. This novel changed my impressions of her, and Penman has given me a new perspective of Eleanor that has lead me to have a greater appreciation for why she supported her sons over her husband. While I may have gained a greater appreciation for Eleanor, this novel has left me less impressed with Henry and Eleanor’s sons, who seemed to feel it their right to rebel whenever their father didn’t give them what they wanted, which was usually money and land. Never mind that Henry’s sons did very little, especially in their younger years, to prove that they could successfully rule – especially Hal, the Young King. That said, it wasn’t difficult to see why the sons grew increasingly distrustful of their father.

Overall, not only did I find this novel incredibly interesting and entertaining, but thanks to Penman’s commitment to historical accuracy, I also found it to be highly educational – elements that, for me, mark a great work of historical fiction.
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the third book in Penman's series exploring the realm of King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. This book focuses on Henry's struggles over power with his four ambitious sons. After a decent but not overly exciting start with the first two books of the series, Penman really caught fire with this tale of deceit, power struggles, and family drama. I kept thinking that often you hear about the drama of Kings struggling to provide a male heir to their throne, but in this case, having four ambitious sons provided just as much drama and conflict as all of them wanted the crown or at least significant power in their own right. Eleanor is held in captivity by her husband for supporting their sons' rebellion for much of this book, but she is still fascinating.

As always, I love Penman's brand of historical fiction. She sticks to the facts when relating historical events and the positioning of characters, using very few fictional characters. Even some of the servants are names that are included in contemporary historical records. Then she flushes out the story by drawing her own conclusions from the evidence to characterize the people she writes of, guessing at their motivations, personalities, and reactions. I find it very easy to separate fact from fiction in her work and tear through these long novels without wanting to put them down. ( )
  japaul22 | Jan 4, 2014 |
Prologue: He would be remembered long after his death, one of those rare men recognized as great even by those who hated him.
Ch. 1: April 1172, Dyved, South Wales Soon after leaving Haverford, they were ambushed by the fog.

In this gripping tale of passion, politics and conflict, King Henry II finds himself brutally betrayed by his wife Eleanor and three eldest sons when they enter into a rebellion against him. Aligning themselves with Henry's most bitter enemy, King Louis of France, their treacherous actions will have devastating consequences as they bring about the downfall of a brilliant man and a powerful empire.In Devil's Brood, the compelling story of Henry and Eleanor's once great love affair is explored in an uniquely vivid way. What twists of fate turn love to hatred? What points of principle and ambition cause these two icons to struggle for power, leaving their family tragically divided and their turbulent marriage finished in all but name?Sharon Penman's glorious trilogy reaches its spellbinding conclusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

The third installment of a trilogy about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine traces the collapse of the royal family in the aftermath of Henry's self-imposed exile to Ireland, as Eleanor and Henry's three eldest sons enter into a rebellion against him.

Sharon Kay Penman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Sharon Kay Penman chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 10, 2009 to Aug 21, 2009. Read the chat.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible