When the Soul Mends by Cindy Woodsmall

When the Soul Mends

by Cindy Woodsmall

3502031,236 (4.3)2

I did not read the first two books of the series "Sisters of the Quilt", and that did not compromise at all the story. The development of the plot can hold on its own.
The author has a sensibility that is seldom found on dealing with emotions of her characters. This is probably due to her deep knowledge of the Amish culture and tradition.
Plot is simple and straight forward. A seventeen year old girl is wrongly accused of breaking the traditions and is virtually banished from her Amish community. She goes away to live with a relative and finally finds a meaning for her life, taking care of a couple of kids in custody of a decent man that she falls in love with. But two and half years after leaving the community, she is called back by her sister and finds out that her sister needs serious psychological help. Dealing with the emotions of meeting again with her father and the church leaders that had banished her in the past, she needs to confront them in order to provide her sister with proper treatment. And in her return, she also meets the man she once loved, and a new set of emotions take place. This is a wonderful well written story and we stay the whole book cheering for our heroine to find her path in life. The author shows that healing is a process and all the Christian subtle messages are well placed. The title is very appropriate and the book has a very beautiful and well chosen cover. I recommend this book to any serious reader that wants a very well written story for a couple of entertained afternoons and nights. It took me a total of less then 12 hours to finish reading this book.

This book was written by Cindy Woodsmall and was published in September 2008 by WaterBrook Multnomah Books and they were kind enough to provide me a copy for reviewing through their Blogging for Books Program. Thanks, Mrs. Cindy Woodsmall, for such an inspirational book! ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
As one reviewer stated so well, "Cindy Woodsmall writes real - real people, real conflicts, real emotions. When you open her book, you enter her world and live the story with the characters". That is how I would describe this trilogy of stories. This is all about forgiveness, finding our path and learning how to be the person God would want us to be. It was also a good lesson on learning the truth about things from the source and not listening to what other's say the truth is. About believing the good in people and not letting others distort who we know them to be. I am so glad I picked up this series and read it; it will long be remembered and gets a spot on my shelf.

In this story Hannah Lapp will receive a confusing and desperate phone call from her sister back in Owl's Perch. She hasn't communicated with her family for a couple of years and has made a new life for herself in the 'Englischer world'. Now she finds herself going back to her Old Order Amish community where she was raised. It won't be easy, leaving Martin Palmer and the children she is helping him raise, taking a break from helping the medical community and her schooling to become a nurse. All to go back to a community that ostracized her.

Paul Waddell, Hannah's former fiance', will seek to help Hannah's sister, Sarah, who has mental health problems and hidden truths she must confront. Hannah will get to help her friend Mary while she is back home, overcome some very difficult pregnancy issues. But most important of all Hannah will need to decide if she wants to spend the rest of her life with an Englischer, the man who helped her hope again, or give in to the call of the 'Plain life', and listen to the call of her heart when it comes to Paul Waddell.

I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out the conclusion to the story. I knew what would probably happen, but you never rest easy until the story is done. A great ending to a story all about love and forgiveness. If you take this trip to Owl's Perch, PA you won't be sorry and you will learn a little something about the 'Plain people'. As the Pennsylvania Dutch would say, this series was "wunderbaar - ya". ( )
  judyg54 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Hannah returns home after fleeing three years ago in disgrace. She must make a decision about whom to follow....her first love or the Englischer, who restored her hope.
  SABC | Jun 10, 2014 |
In this second installment in the Sister of the Quilt series, Hannah has left the Amish community that judged and rejected her. Finding a kindred spirit in her shunned aunt, she makes a new life for herself. Going to school and studying to be a nurse, she finds a purpose for her life. Being befriended by people who accept her as she is, she finds peace. But back home, Paul regrets how he treated Hannah and longs to make amends, if he could only find her. Will that ever happen? Or is it too late to recapture the life she had before the attack that drove a wedge between Hannah and her family? Cindy Woodsmall has created a fascinating storyline with characters to match. You’ll want to read the first book in the series before you read this one. If you like Amish stories with substance and depth, you will want to be sure to read this series. ( )
  Maydacat | Oct 9, 2012 |
FAV. Series on Amish. This author is fantastic. Plus I used DL from Aud.com with great narrator. It makes the whole experience worth your while. Plot and characters fantastic. ( )
  princessnoel | Apr 10, 2012 |
To my husband
I could fill a thousand books with words of love and still not have shared but a small portion of who you are to me.
Hannah's faded into the distance of the paved horizon. The cold concrete chilling Martin's bare feed and the lukewarm cup of coffee in his hand confirmed that this was no way to begin a Saturday morning.

"After receiving a desperate and confusing call from her sister, Hannah Lapp reluctantly returns to the Old Order Amish community of her Pennsylvania childhood. Having left Owl's Perch more than two years earlier, she finally has settled into a satisfying role in the Englischer world. Hannah has found love and a new family with wealthy Martin Palmer and the children she is helping him raise. But almost immediately after her arrival home, the disapproval of those who ostracized her, including her headstrong father, reopens old wounds"--Cover verso.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cindy Woodsmall's book When The Soul Mends was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible