Home: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson

Home: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Marilynne Robinson

Series: Gilead (2)

Member:emily_morine
Title:Home: A Novel
Authors:Marilynne Robinson
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:21stcentury, contemporary, 20thcentury, iowa, midwest, fathersandsons, parentsandchildren, brothersandsisters, friends, menfriends, religion, theology, race, civilrightsmovement, alcohol, redemption, menandwomen, sex, sexuality, outofwedlock, thepast, thirdperson, xx

Home by Marilynne Robinson (2008)

English (123)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All (126)
I thoroughly enjoyed Marilynne Robinson's [b:Gilead|68210|Gilead|Marilynne Robinson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170687634s/68210.jpg|2481792] and was looking forward to reading her follow-up, which contains many of the same beloved characters. However, it occurred to me while reading this (or listening to it) that Gilead really stands best on its own. While I found this to be a decent enough read, it was slow going, and without all that much reward in the end. It also did not contain the quiet resplendence or thoughtfulness that made Gilead such a delight to read. With Gilead, I often found myself pausing to absorb a thought, or even to write down a phrase or observation that I found particularly insightful or poetic. This was not the case with Home. While I appreciated Robinson's descriptive writing style and her quiet way of bringing all her characters "home," the story dragged a bit for me. Still a worthwhile read, though. ( )
  Brightraven | Apr 26, 2018 |
I think I wasn't in the right frame of mind...this didn't grab my emotional shoulders and give me a good walloping like I was expecting. Gilead was, to me, more investigative in human motivation and spiritual wrestling; Home simply read narratively. I was arrested by a few passages where the characters wrestle with what 'home' means and how we are to interact with the sense of 'home' in our adulthood. As a nomad, these wrestlings are far too familiar! ( )
  booksofmoerman | Dec 22, 2017 |
To enter this book is to enter a landscape of complete and utter psychological desolation.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." ( )
  grbeer | Mar 26, 2017 |
2008, MacMillian Audio, Read by Maggi-Meg Reed

Home takes place concurrently and in the same locale as its predecessor, Gilead – but this time we visit the household of the Reverend Robert Broughton, Ames’ closest friend. Glory Broughton, the Reverend’s eldest daughter at 38, has returned home to care for her dying father. And soon Jack, the long-lost prodigal son of the family, gone for two decades, comes home too – looking for refuge and attempting to make peace with his past, scarred with torment.

Jack is an alcoholic – a bad boy from childhood – who cannot hold a job. Thought he is his father’s most beloved child, their relationship is a most uneasy one: Jack ever at odds with his traditionalist father. He does form a moving bond with Glory while the two care for the aging patriarch – but she is unable to help him in any real way – in spite of his pleas that she help him stay sober.

Admittedly, Marilynne Robinson is not one of my favourite authors, but there is no doubt she can write! These are richly developed characters, particularly Jack, who is unforgettable. I disagree with the publisher’s summary in part: Home is a moving and healing book about families, family secrets, and the passing of the generations, about love and death and faith. I did not find much evidence of healing in the novel, save for perhaps the last quarter of it. But certainly family secrets abound, and it is a moving read about love, death, and faith. Recommended. ( )
2 vote lit_chick | Feb 20, 2017 |
I found this book hard to get into and hard to rate. It has some brilliant passages, to my mind, and some nebulous ones. Once past a kind of philosophical section near the beginning, the story begins in earnest. There are many things to like about the book and many that leave the reader with more questions than answers, not always a bad thing. But I found sections of it confusing or lacking. We never know what Jack really did to cause such heartache to everyone. It's alluded to for the most part. Specifics might have added some punch. His character is vulnerable, in some ways very like some alcoholics, and in other ways hard to believe.

I listened to this book on CD, and the reader did a great job with the father's voice. I had a real sense of who he was, what he was like, and a picture of him in my mind. I didn't get that with the other characters so much. And somehow, despite any negatives one might find, the story stays with you after you've read it. I loved part of what happened at the end. It's about grace as much as anything, grace within a family and very close friends. Grace and respect. Every family could do with more of that. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
The glories of Gilead - and of Housekeeping, for that matter - have not quite found their way into Home. One reason for this may be Robinson's decision to write in the third person for the first time, thus suppressing one of her great gifts, which is the mix of wryness, wisdom and self-deprecation with which she infused her first two narrators' voices.

But what remains is Gilead's sense of how character, however unkindly, determines one's fate, which in Home arrives silently but powerfully, like a glacier leaving a raw gash in the landscape. Robinson's output may also be glacial, but the force her words leave in her wake is unmistakable.
added by melmore | editNPR, Lizzie Skurnick (Sep 19, 2008)

These ugly facts [of small-town racism] complicate the beauty of “Home,” but the way Robinson embeds them in the novel is part of what makes it so beautiful. It is a book unsparing in its acknowledgment of sin and unstinting in its belief in the possibility of grace. It is at once hard and forgiving, bitter and joyful, fanatical and serene. It is a wild, eccentric, radical work of literature that grows out of the broadest, most fertile, most familiar native literary tradition. What a strange old book it is.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, A. O. Scott (Sep 19, 2008)

The Reverend Boughton, is in decline. Glory, the youngest of his eight children, has come home to care for him, and both are grateful and alarmed when Jack, the prodigal son, reappears after an excruciating 20-year absence. Once a charming scoundrel, Jack is now riddled with regrets and despair. As she cares for two broken men struggling toward reconciliation and redemption, Glory is a paragon of patience, a virtue readers also must cultivate as Robinson follows an austere narrative regime, confining the reader to the day-by-day present and the Boughton home. Household chores are infused with metaphysical implications, while what is not said carries more weight than what is spoken. Robinson wrestles with moral dilemmas ordinary and catastrophic, and ponders the mystery of why human beings never feel wholly at home on earth. This is a rigorous, sometimes claustrophobic, yet powerfully spiritual novel of anguish and prayer, wisdom and beauty, penance and hope.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman

Robinson, Marilynneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Noah and Elise and for Beatrice
"Home to stay, Glory! Yes!" her father said, and her heart sank.
The house embodied for him the general blessedness of his life, which was manifest, really indisputable. And which he never failed to acknowledge, especially when it stood over against particular sorrow. Even more frequently after their mother died he spoke of the house as if it were an old wife, beautiful for every comfort it had offered, ever grace, through all the long years. It was a beauty that would not be apparent to every eye.
”Yes,” the old man said, as he did when memory stirred. “Those were good times.”
No, it's a feeling I have always had, almost since you were a baby. As though there was something you needed from me and I never figured out what it was. … I just never knew another child who didn't feel at home in the house where he was born.
They had always been so careful of him, almost afraid to touch him. There was an aloofness about him more thoroughgoing than modesty or reticence. It was feral, and fragile. It had enforced a peculiar decorum on them all, even on their mother. There was always the moment when they acknowledged this – no hugging, no roughhousing could include him. Even his father patted his shoulder tentatively, shy and cautious. Whey should a child have defended his loneliness that way? But let him have his ways, their father said, or he would be gone. He'd smile at them across that distance, and the smile was sad and hard, and it meant estrangement, even when he was with them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374299102, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: "What does it mean to come home?" In one way or another, every character in Home is searching for that answer. Glory Boughton, now 38 and lovelorn, has returned to Gilead to care for her dying father. Her wayward brother Jack also finds his way back, though his is an uneasy homecoming, reverberating with the scandal that drove him away twenty years earlier. Glory and Jack unravel their stories slowly, speaking to each other more in movements than in words--a careful glance here, a chair pulled out from the table there--against a domestic backdrop so richly imagined you may be fooled into believing their house is your own. Meanwhile, their father, whose ebullient love for his children is a welcome counterpoint to Glory and Jack's conflicted emotions, experiences his own kind of reckoning as he yearns to understand his troubled son. There is a simplicity to this story that belies the complexity of its characters--they are bound together by a profound capacity for love and by an equally powerful sense of private conviction that tries the ties that bind, but never breaks them. It's a delicate sort of tension that you think would resist exposition--and in fact these characters seem to want nothing more than, as Glory says, to treat "one another's deceptions like truth"--but Marilynne Robinson's fine, tender prose imbues this family's secrets with an overwhelming grace. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Glory Boughton, aged thirty-eight, has returned to Gilead to care for her dying father. Soon her brother, Jack--the prodigal son of the family, gone for twenty years--comes home too, looking for refuge and trying to make peace with a past littered with tormenting trouble and pain.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marilynne Robinson's book Home was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,369,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible