The Iliad by Homer

The Iliad

by Homer

Series: Homer's Epic Cycle (1)

26,36625842 (4.03)9 / 1278
Recently added byJamie.Kessinger, private library, Rena37, Bluella1208, GoldenValleyRiver, cincospenguinos, jtcalleson, alo1224, the_red_shoes
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, José Francisco de San Martín Gómez y Matorras, Terence Kemp McKenna, William Somerset Maugham, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Maria Àngels Anglada d'Abadal, Arthur Ransome, Francis Dana, James Joyce, Robert & Elizabeth Barrett Browning60 more, Harry S Truman, Leonard and Virginia Woolf, Benedictus de Spinoza, Rudyard Kipling, Social Library (1793), Frederick Douglass, William Gaddis, Phillis Wheatley, Myles Standish, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Union College, Oscar Wilde, Hannah Arendt, James Boswell, Leslie Scalapino, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas McKean, Alured Popple, Gustave Flaubert, Fyodor Dostoevsky, H.D., Robert Treat Paine, Herman Melville, Samuel Johnson, Robert Ranke Graves , Thomas Mann, Ralph Ellison, Robert Gordon Menzies, Richard Cranch, USS California (Armored Cruiser No. 6), Sylvia Plath, Roger Mifflin, Edward Estlin Cummings , Donald and Mary Hyde, Alexander Pushkin, Landon Carter, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, George Washington, Astrid Lindgren, Thomas Jefferson, George Wythe, Joseph Stevens Buckminster, C. S. Lewis, Franz Kafka, George Washington Mordecai, T. E. Lawrence, James and Mary Murray, Franz Bopp, Eeva-Liisa Manner, Porter Cornelius Bliss, William Butler Yeats, Sir Walter Scott, Charles Lamb, Karen Blixen, John Adams, Walker Percy, Alfred Deakin, Marie Antoinette, Ernest Hemingway, Tim Spalding
    The Odyssey by Homer (Voracious_Reader, caflores)
    The Aeneid by Virgil (HollyMS)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Tiger at the Gates by Jean Giraudoux (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Giraudoux imagines the events in Troy when Paris shows up with Helen
    The Táin by Táin author (inge87)
    Ransom by David Malouf (GCPLreader)
    The Dismissal of the Grecian Envoys by Jan Kochanowski (sirparsifal)
    The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (alalba)
    The Death of King Arthur by Anonymous (chrisharpe)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (Torikton)
    The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    Troy [2004 film] by Wolfgang Petersen (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Very free interpretation (not adaptation) that in many ways improves on the original. No childish gods, no rambling digressions. Visually spectacular. The dialogue is a bit cringeworthy now and then, but it does have flashes of brilliance. Only for the most broad-minded admirers of Homer - or those who find the Greek bard unsatisfactory. PS Caveat: the Director's Cut is gratuitously gory!… (more)
Asia (388)

English (242)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (263)
This version was quite the tome and I suffered from RSI just from holding the book. I have embarked upon the Great Books series as set out by Hutchins and Adler at the University of Chicago and this great tale is number 1. This is no small task but it is essential. Time and again I have seen movies about Achilles and the fall of Troy but there is something to be said about the various translations and notes that direct the reader to a long history of debates, arguments, and disagreements over Homer (or whether it was Homers), and then the translations that incorporate the Latin amendments (such as Samuel Butler's), and then how the "folk tradition" has twisted and turned this nation-building epic to suit different times. The movies have it that Hector was simply out-classed, not that he ran three laps around the walls of Troy trying to escape Achilles, not that the gods intervened time and again, even helping to kill other soldiers and so on. I like the introduction's idea of Hector as a complete man, husband, father, prince, warrior; whereas Achilles is the unbalanced warrior, hell-bent on death and glory. I have now started on The Odyssey and I did not know that the Trojan horse was not of the first book, I had suspicions but I did not know that Ulysses was the Latin name, and so on. Even the unpacking of these issues helps with my reading of Plato and Aristotle. I felt I had arrived at a place where reading more of the classic scholars made no sense unless I had at least a working grasp of Homer. But the manly ideal that has been bastardised by Hollywood and others has set me thinking deeply. Honour didn't mean masculine aggression at all costs, or that any man could do anything, or that class could not hold one back and so on. In the translation (rather than bastardisation) of the original, an entirely different view of masculinity emerges. These people were all fallible, all helped or thwarted by fortune, the gods played a major role in the plot (religion is all but excluded from the Brad Pitt version of the story), and Paris, a snivelling coward, is not helped out by Hector. Hector hates him! So much to unlearn from reading one of the oldest "western" texts. I shirk at this title - much like the re-writing of Greek ideas about masculinity, all of a sudden the Eastern Europeans get a guernsey in the Great Race Race because they were so brilliant. But it really does set me at ease to now see the portrayals of the Greek ideal and be able to see it for what it was meant to be. This does not help me to feel more secure in the world, but it does help me to see the world differently, and, maybe, more accurately. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
I read a different translation in college (30 some years ago) and don't recall it being this dull. I am not sure if I can entirely blame Fagles translation. I generally do not read war or battle type of books nor do I watch films that focus on those subject matters. I do watch things like LoTR but this is concentrated week of this side pierced so and so above the nipple, through the ear, etc then the gods got peeved or felt sorry so the other side pierced so and so above the nipple, through the jaw, etc. I pulled 2 different sentences, towards end, that I really enjoyed:

1)Come-the proof of battle is action, proof of words, debate. No time for speeches now, it's time to fight. pg 433
2)Oh if only the gods loved him as much as I do... dogs and vultures would eat his fallen corpse at once! pg 542

I make it a habit to not read introductory matter prior to reading a book. I also tend to skip notes and other auxiliary material that follows a text unless I am particularly taken by the main text and want to learn more. In this case the main text went from pg 77 to 614 inclusive and I skipped both Mr. Knox's introduction and Mr. Fagles notes, suggested readings etc.

Not really a review of The Illiad: I am reading Fagles translation of The Odyssey and am feel it is moving much more rapidly. Since the subject is not details of grisly battles I find it much more entertaining. ( )
  elka.b | Oct 25, 2017 |
Yeah, it's awfully fucking repetitive, but on the other hand you sure do get a sense of the hopelessness of doing anything other than trying to be, or seem, badder than the other dude back in those days--where killing was everyone's first-hand solution, where the other guys were murderous pricks and your guys were murderous pricks and the gods were murderous pricks and the only way to get home and raise some more murderous pricks was to quit dithering and murder up already--I know the Trojan War is not exactly typical times but Achilles and his myrmidons were sheepstealers before that and it's all just Indo-European male wolf pack stuff tbh, but okay, I'm an IE man too still I suppose (perhaps this is the century we really leave it behind????), because also, yes, fun. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Oct 25, 2017 |
I listened to the audiobook read by Sir Ian McKellen. Amazing. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
I thought I'll never remember which guy was son of which father, and now I fell like I'll never forget it. ( )
  Iylala | Sep 7, 2017 |

Manninen, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monti, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Myers, ErnestTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orléans de La Motte, Louis François Gabriel d'Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parnell, ThomasContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

There thou shalt hear and learn the secret power
Of harmony, in tones and numbers hit
By voice or hand, and various-measured verse,
Aeolian charms and Dorian lyric odes,
And his who gave them breath, but higher sung,
Blind Melesigenes, thence Homer called,
Whose poem Phoebus challenged for his own.

--Milton, Paradise Regained, IV. 245
(Rouse translation, 1938)
These dull notes we sing
Discords neede for helps to grace them

(Lattimore translation)
To the memory of my father and my mother
and for Lynne, Katya and Nina ...

(Fagles translation, 1996)
To all times future this time's mark extend,
Homer no patron found, nor Chapman friend
Ignotus nimis omnibus
Sat notus moritur sibi.
(Chapman translation)
For Sarah, and for Ughetta, Benedict, Maria, Michael, Barnaby, and Caterina
(Fitzgerald translation)
TO
MY MOTHER AND FATHER
(Lattimore translation)
Anger be now your song, immortal one,
Achilles' anger, doomed and ruinous,
that caused the Achaens loss on bitter loss
and crowded brave souls into the undergloom,
leaving so many dead men - carrion
for dogs and birds; and the will of Zeus was done.
(Fitzgerald translation, 1974)
Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles,
murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaens countless losses,
hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
great fighters' souls, but made their bodies carrion,
feasts for the dogs and birds,
and the will of Zeus was moving towards its end.
(Fagles translation, 1996)
Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus
and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the
Achaians,
hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
since that time when first there stood in division of conflict
Atreus' son the lord of men and brilliant Achilleus.
(Lattimore translation, 1951)
Rage:
Sing, Goddess, Achilles' rage,
Black and murderous, that cost the Greeks

Incalculable pain, pitched countless souls

Of heroes into Hades' dark,

And left their bodies to rot as feasts

For dogs and birds, as Zeus' will was done
(Lombardo translation, 1997)
Achilles' banefull wrath resound, O Goddess, that impos'd
Infinite sorrows on the Greeks, and many brave souls los'd
From breasts heroique; sent them far to that invisible cave
That no light comforts; and their limbs to dogs and vultures gave:
To all which Jove's will gave effect; from whom first strife begun
Betwixt Atrides, king of men, and Thetis' godlike son.
(Chapman translation, 1598)
"The worst cowards, banded together, have their power but you and I have got the skill to fight their best" -- Poseidon's encounter with Idomeneus at the turn of the battle for the ships
Due to the "dead language exception" copies of the Iliad in the original Greek should not be combined with modern language translations. Also, individual volumes should not be combined with other individual volumes or with the complete work.
Too many heroes
Too much blood, sex, fighting, war
Gods and goddesses
(pickupsticks)
Mannered, ironic,
Pope is scarcely Homeric.
How is it this works?
(bertilak)
Helen of Sparta
Elopes with Paris. Name change
To Helen of Troy
(pickupsticks)
All work and no gifts,
I refuse to fight for you
until my friend dies.
(LeBoeuf)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140275363, Paperback)

This groundbreaking English version by Robert Fagles is the most important recent translation of Homer's great epic poem. The verse translation has been hailed by scholars as the new standard, providing an Iliad that delights modern sensibility and aesthetic without sacrificing the grandeur and particular genius of Homer's own style and language. The Iliad is one of the two great epics of Homer, and is typically described as one of the greatest war stories of all time, but to say the Iliad is a war story does not begin to describe the emotional sweep of its action and characters: Achilles, Helen, Hector, and other heroes of Greek myth and history in the tenth and final year of the Greek siege of Troy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

The centuries old epic about the wrath of Achilles is rendered into modern English verse by a renowned translator and accompanied by an introduction that reassesses the identity of Homer. In Robert Fagles' beautifully rendered text, the Iliad overwhelms us afresh. The huge themes godlike, yet utterly human of savagery and calculation, of destiny defied, of triumph and grief compel our own humanity. Time after time, one pauses and re-reads before continuing. Fagles' voice is always that of a poet and scholar of our own age as he conveys the power of Homer. Robert Fagles and Bernard Knox are to be congratulated and praised on this admirable work.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Homer's book The Iliad was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140275363, 0140445927, 0140447946, 0140444440, 0451530691

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,570,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible