The Regent's Knight by J. M. Snyder

The Regent's Knight

by J. M. Snyder

In a fantasy medieval kingdom, Amery is the young regent; his father was lost in battle two years ago and his counselors want him to take the crown and with that the duty to marry and generate an heir for the throne. But Amery cannot do that, since he is in love with Tovin, a young knight he knows since childhood. Tovin is his first and only love and Amery can't bear the idea to lose him, even if for a throne.

During the day, Amery and Tovin hide their love behind quarrels and high shouts, but at night they share passionate and playful love. They are all for each other, they have never known other lovers and they are so lost in their love that sometimes are also reckless and selfish.

This is obviously a fantasy, not weighted by the real history which would have condemned these lovers to be torn apart by royal duty. Instead the story is almost joyous, and Amery is a very funny character: he is so childish and spoilt that only a man blinded by love like Tovin can suffer him without killing the brat. Amery is beautiful and he is grown with the idea that he is the center of his small world. He is not the brave and honorable man who usually plays the role of a king: he is a brat, a spoilt but beautiful child. And he is wanton and naughty; even during lovemaking he proves this side of his character. You have to love the cute uke to love him, but for me he is irresistible.

Tovin is a strong man, but I think he is too often driven by his body than by his mind. I don't want to say that he is dump, no, but maybe he is still young and reckless. And in love.

The Regent's Knight is another tale where the yaoi influence is really strong, with the classic top-bottom couple. And it's funny and lighthearted: a very enjoyable reading, that has left me with a smile.

P.S. Since the last time I comment on the cover I don't like, this time I will comment on a cover I like very much and that I notice even before buying the book on J.M. Snyder's website: this is a cover that would drawn me to buy a book even if I didn't know the author.

elisa.rolle | Mar 9, 2008 |
"Well, I would hope you’d never take another lover. In fact, I forbid it."

J. M. Snyder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,902,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible