An Offer You Can't Refuse by Jill Mansell

An Offer You Can't Refuse (2008)

by Jill Mansell

English (17)  Norwegian (1)  All (18)
I can always count on funny, likable characters and a happy ever after ending with a novel by Ms. Mansell. Lola is impetus, a little overbearing at times, but ultimately a nice girl - and in the author's world, nice girls finish first in the end... ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 24, 2015 |
I am a big Jill Mansell fan, but this one was just off to me.

Lola and Dougie are in "young love." Dougie's wealthy mom tries to buy Lola off. Lola steadfastly refuses...for about 12 hours.
She finds out the family needs money, she sacrifices her happily ever after and takes the money, buys the family out of the problem and moves abroad.

This is one of my least favorite tropes, so that was kind of an initial downer for me. I will say Ms. Mansell handled the setup very nicely and succinctly. There was not a lot of dragging on and woe is me-ing.

I did feel that there was not enough interaction between Lola and Dougie to make for a believable HEA (and yeah, he drops the "Dougie" and becomes "Doug"). And that was one of the problems I had with the book. Lola seemed to not mature in the intervening years between when she accepted the offer and when she got back in the same world as Doug. Even though she gets a grown-up job, she buys her own apartment and pays her own way in the world (with the help of a convenient "gift"), she still acts in a way that feels immature for supposedly mature woman of 27.

What I do love about the Mansell books was ever present. There are lots of strong secondary characters, just great people you get to know and like and wish you could hang out with.

Ms. Mansell seems to always have a "celebrity" in the mix and there were a couple of really interesting "celebrities." She always seems to have a little twist that makes it fun (it is of course totally ridiculous, but you would miss it if she didn't add them).

There is a twist on the baby daddy trope. This addition to the plot made for some nice scenes and interactions of all ages.

More chick lit than romance. The romance(s) in the books for the most part seemed to just formulaically happen by a certain time in the book. But again, that's part of what you love about these books. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |

EllenAvondale | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ellen1213 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I work in a bookshop, and I sell lots of books by Jill Mansell. Which is why I tried one of her books for the second time. There must be something to her, why else does almost every girl my age collect her novels?
Now that I've finished this one, I still don't get it. Kinsella, Kelly, Keyes, Fielding, Weiner - there are so many other chick lit and romance writers out there that are better than Mansell! It's not that Mansell's writing is poor, it's just not as good as novels by similar writers.
The idea for the book is original: what would you do if someone offered to pay you a lot of money to break up with her son? And then, the story just drags on.
I just know I'll try one of the Mansell books again, because it's perfect for a rainy day, but she will never be my favourite author. ( )
  emhromp2 | Feb 18, 2010 |

Mansell, Jillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borg, Marjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are some places where you might expect to bump into your boyfriend's ultra-posh mother.
Oorspronkelijke titel: An Offer You Can't Refuse.

Ten years ago Lola Malone was offered £10.000, and what seventeen-year -old wouldn't be happy with that? But there was a catch. The person doing the offering was her boyfriend Dougie's mother, and it was on condition that Lola broke up with her beloved son. Lola was outraged. Nothing - nothing! - could tear her and Dougie apart. Until she discovered a terrible secret, and suddenly she had no choice but to take the money and run.

In order to help one of the people she loves most in the world, Lola accepts 10,000 from Dougie's mother to break up with him. Ten years later, though, when they meet again, Lola's feelings for him are as strong as ever. But she broke his heart - and he's about to discover that she was paid to do it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible