The Moviegoer: A Novel by Walker Percy

The Moviegoer: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Walker Percy (Author)

3,833752,090 (3.69)1 / 104
A winner of the National Book Award, The Moviegoer established Walker Percy as an insightful and grimly humorous storyteller. It is the tale of Binx Bolling, a small-time stockbroker who lives quietly in suburban New Orleans, pursuing an interest in the movies, affairs with his secretaries, and living out his days. But soon he finds himself on a ?search? for something more important, some spiritual truth to anchor him. Binx's life floats casually along until one fateful Mardi Gras week, when a bizarre series of events leads him to his unlikely salvation. In his half-brother Lonnie, who is confined to a wheelchair and soon to die, and his stepcousin Kate, whose predicament is even more ominous, Binx begins to find the sort of ?certified reality? that had eluded him everywhere but at the movies.… (more)
Member:sullijo
Tags:@ordered, fiction, Catholic literature

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Lending

Ordered 2019-11-29
    The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice (kraaivrouw)
    The Floating Opera by John Barth (michaeljohn)
    michaeljohn: Both are slyly humorous novels with philosophical undercurrents.
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (erezv)

English (73)  German (2)  All languages (75)
Great in so many ways: American, post-war 20th century, Southern, Catholic, philosophical. ( )
  nicholasjjordan | Nov 13, 2019 |
eh. Really lovely sentences, interesting plot, etc etc etc, but I'm just not swooning. I've probably seen far too many television commercials for this subtle form of quasi-philosophical investigation to really hook me. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Walker Percy's 1960's National Book award winner about Binx Bolling living an odd premeditated alienated life in a New Orleans suburb where is goes movies and dates assistants on his solo stock broker office. His relations ship with his fragile cousin Kate and his family against the backdrop of upper class New Orleans and Mardi Gras is classic as he is in an ambiguous sea of ennui, romance alienation and redemption.

Superb novel about alienation on mid 20 th century New Orleans . The protagonist pursues a life an a stock broker in the suburbs going to the movies as his sort of understated solo ritual of living through others lives .
He is upper class and has a loving relationship with his female cousin who is mentally unstable .
  JoshSapan | May 29, 2019 |
Generally, the writing was sufficient, but the story lagged and almost squandered itself in its own conception. I did not feel that it was strong enough to hold my interest, and it lagged considerably throughout my reading.

Not recommended. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
St. Barts 2019 #7 - I know this won the National Book Award, but it just did not do it for me......in the beginning, i thought it would....but was not to be so. Far too many characters thrown at me in disjointed ways....and from complicated relationships of deaths and remarriages and half-brothers, etc. And i am sad to say early on, I just did not care enough to go back and try to fetter out my confusion, which probably was a mistake. I thought it would settle out for me with further reading....but alas, no. So, the premise, i guess, was the search by our main character, Jack Bolling (Binx) for his purpose for existence.....since he seemed to have none.....Malaise was his nemesis, and it was everywhere....but movies would set that aside, albeit briefly. The early movie references were interesting and i thought would give it promise, but the further the book went, the less there were. Certainly his disjointed, rather spread out family of very varied heritage contributed to his sense of empty wandering, yet he has to be, by his own definition, one of the most selfish, and personally vacant souls i have encountered in a while.....and perfectly content to be such on the one hand, but yearning for something else on the other. It just did not click together for me. Likely a little too much thinking needed for my reading taste, which is purely for entertainment. Did he find whatever he was in search of???? I wish i could tell you, but sadly, i really don't know..... ( )
  jeffome | Jan 20, 2019 |
Ironic but not cynical, complex without being abstruse, hopeful without sentimentality.

Percy, Walkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Handke, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
... the specific character of

despair is precisely this: it

is unaware of being despair.

Søren Kierkegaard,

The Sickness Unto Death
IN GRATITUDE TO W.A.P.
This morning I got a note from my aunt asking me to come for lunch.

Legacy Library: Walker Percy

Walker Percy has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Walker Percy's legacy profile.

See Walker Percy's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,316,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible