F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way by John…

F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way

by John C. Parkin

Great insights and I liked the irreverent language too. :) ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Great insights and I liked the irreverent language too. :) ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Reads like a novel, always entertaining yet deceptively profound and simple. ( )
  14geronimo | Feb 5, 2014 |
F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way definitely has shock value, if for no other reason than for its title and provocative word choice. Mr. Parkin stresses that by saying "f**k it," we can learn to let go, relax and simply give in to the flow of life. Saying these two little words can alleviate most of the stress and stressors in our lives because we will no longer take things so seriously, especially those things we cannot change.

In some ways I can understand why saying "f**k it" is equated to the ultimate spiritual way. When we say "f**k it" we begin to appreciate all that life has to offer, taking the good with the bad and accepting that both are necessary parts of life. These two words can, according to the author, offer a freedom and release that are equal to most religious or spiritual disciplines but without the judgment of I'm right and you're wrong and therefore will burn in hell. By saying these two words and living with the philosophy they embody, you can learn to eliminate worry, a desire for things and end with being satisfied with who you are as a person, where you are and what you are doing.

Mr. Parkin does explain, quite nicely and often with a humorous twist, how one should say "f**k it" to jobs, family, friends, etc. He isn't saying that you have to give up your job (unless you want to) or your friends and family (again unless you want to), but rather by saying these words to these situations and people we release any ability they may have to cause us stress. Other than the profane word choice, I don't find that this is all that different from others in recent years, such as "don't sweat the small stuff" or even "let go and let God." Having said that, if the more traditional religious/spiritual paths (Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Taoism, etc.) aren't for you, then this may offer a starting point to being able to let go, relax and enjoy the ups and downs that is life. ( )
  BookDivasReads | May 14, 2011 |
This book has changed my life ...probably. I'm really not going to spend too much time pondering that point, actually. All I know is that I've been anxiety prone my whole life. Even as a young child I couldn't sleep until I'd mentally planned out how to rescue my family in case of fire or break-in, every night. Heavy anxiety has been darkening my door near constantly lately, and after reading this book, I'm as relaxed and content as a child ...some other child though, not the ball of stress eight year old I used to be. It's a very interesting read. It made me laugh a lot, it made me pretty uncomfortable at times, and there may have been misty eyes at one point. It's a simple philosophy, but it's more complicated than that. There's a lot to think about here, or not. I definitely feel so much better though, with this fresh perspective and permission to just be. I feel like a new woman. I hope it sticks. It would be fun to be a new woman every day. It sure would keep my husband on his toes at least. ( )
  seph | May 13, 2011 |

Saying F**k It is like massage for the mind - relaxing you, releasing tension, giving up on things that aren't working. Just starting to say F**k It can transform your life. Saying F**k It feels good - to stop struggling and finally do what you fancy; to ignore what everyone's telling you and go your own way. John C. Parkin argues that saying it is a spiritual act: That it is the perfect western expression of the eastern ideas of letting go, giving up and finding real freedom by realising that things don't matter so much (if at all).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible