The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki…

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Vicki Iovine

6061916,147 ()6
Member:tahoegirl
Title:The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
Authors:Vicki Iovine
Info:Gallery Books (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Pregnancy, Non Fiction, Funny, Advice

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine (1995)

"Now is the time for a reappraisal of your relationship with your bed pillows. They will grow to become your best friends, not only the one or two that you have always known and loved, but all the new pillows you will buy (or steal from your husband) to help them in their duties."

Vicki Iovine, veteran of the birthing suite x 4, is here to save you from all the conflicting pre-baby advice. With humour.

I have to say, I thought this was going to be funnier than I found it. Only at two points (and now, of course, I cannot find them to quote them) did I actually burst out laughing. Some of the time I smiled, the rest of the time it was just, you know, a normal book.

What I did like about this was that it felt very real. Like Iovine had gathered the experiences of Actual Humans and not the magical birthing droids who live in What to Expect. She has examples from an array of her girlfriends, which was quite reassuring.

Worth a read, but definitely when I did, towards the end of pregnancy when you've already read the whole internet. And more for a light bit of reading than for side-splitting hilarity or particularly sage advice. ( )
  readingwithtea | Dec 22, 2014 |
This book has a few good tips, but pretty much just annoyed me. The part that irked me the most was her attitude toward exercise. Don't bother to exercise because if something happens, wouldn't you feel bad? Besides, you're just going to get fat anyway. Go ahead and drink wine and dye your hair, though, and don't let anyone make you feel guilty for doing so. Really? Well, I suppose that in this woman's world, where your girlfriends are models and such, I'm already considered fat. I also do not have a nanny and a personal trainer who will help me take off 60 pounds. It became more obvious with each page that I do not live in this woman's world, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. ( )
  vsquist | Apr 3, 2013 |
A fun and easy read, full of lots of fun and funny tidbits, but lacking in content. Read this and buy a more "medical" type book too. ( )
  tahoegirl | Jan 10, 2013 |
informative, funny, a good read for pregnant ladies who might need a laugh. ( )
  BugsyBoog | Apr 18, 2012 |
Despite my childless status, I loved this book--it's laugh-out-loud funny. I've given it as a gift too. ( )
  Marliesd | Mar 27, 2011 |
For Jamie, Jessica, Jeremy and Jade
Pregnant, huh? Well, come on in and sit here beside me, because there is nothing I like more than a woman who is about to have a baby.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671524313, Paperback)

Beginning with the "10 Greatest Lies About Pregnancy" (number 10: Lamaze works), and ending with postpartum dementia, Vicki Iovine's Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy has fast become the laywoman's mouthpiece for the American pregnancy experience. Iovine is irreverent, sassy, and incredibly reassuring as she exposes the "truths" of pregnancy and childbirth, from sex to cellulite to cesareans. Iovine birthed four kids in six years, none of them twins, which certainly qualifies her as an expert. The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy does reveal Iovine's particular cultural biases (pregnant or not, most of us don't have record-producer husbands, hang out with supermodels, or wear size-four pants) and philosophical beliefs (she's not a particularly strong proponent of natural childbirth or nursing), but, taken with a grain or two of salt, she provides many hilarious moments, acres of advice, and honest reassurance readers will find nowhere else. --Ericka Lutz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:02 -0400)

Four-time delivery room veteran lovine provides straight talk about those little things that are too strange or embarrassing to ask anyone about, practical tips, and hilarious takes on everything pregnant.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,672,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible