The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

The Hero and the Crown (original 1984; edition 2007)

by Robin McKinley

Info:Ace Trade (2007), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned as Printed Book, Use for Recommendations
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fantasy, young adult

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (1984)

adventure (59) Aerin (26) children's (30) children's literature (21) coming of age (22) Damar (127) dragons (176) fantasy (1,147) favorite (26) favorites (20) fiction (408) heroine (23) horses (27) magic (99) McKinley (21) Newbery (75) Newbery Medal (100) novel (27) own (30) paperback (24) read (72) robin mckinley (26) romance (29) science fiction (24) series (49) sff (61) speculative fiction (20) to-read (33) YA (160) young adult (228)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Aerin and Katsa are both gifted women who struggle to find the line between respect and fear. Also, they kick butt.
    The Oathbound by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles)
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Outside of the author, both books also share a similar feel and feature an interesting and strongly-written female character struggling to deal with her given role.
    When the King Comes Home by Caroline Stevermer (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both stories are well written and feature an unconventional heroine who works hard in her chosen field of study and is instrumental in saving a kingdom.
    Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey (SunnySD)

Another in the shop-worn genre of girls-can-be-as-good-as-boys-by weilding-swords. Magical system was unexplained and unclear. Milieu was unexceptional, as were the characters and the plot, which was uncommonly muddy. The first section had far too many back-stitches (not = flashbacks); they were confusing and unnecessary.
However, an okay read for late teens. ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 17, 2014 |
Amazing in every possible way!

You can read my review at Paperback Wonderland. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
I have read this book over and over again since I was 10. Part of the personal draw for me is that my mother named me, a fiery ginger-haired girl, after the fiery ginger-haired heroine. Aerin Firehair became Erin, The Book Nut. But this book holds up no matter who you are.

Bravery, curiosity, impulsiveness, stubbornness. These qualities describe Aerin, a girl who fights to belong. And fight she does. Despite a nasty couple of cousins and the prejudice of a kingdom, she overcomes.

Every time I read this book I can't help but smile. Its sequel, The Blue Sword is not quite at the same level as this book, but definitely ranks close behind. Both books are certainly worth a read! ( )
  HeartbreakDX | Aug 14, 2013 |
Soooo good! But I really thought she should've stayed with the guy instead of going home..
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
I've read this book so many times I'm pretty sure I know entire sections word for word. It's the only book I had taken with me on vacation when our house burnt down over twenty years ago, and thus is the oldest and maybe dearest book I own. I'm not going to say it's perfect, but it's so special to me (and, don't get me wrong, very good) that I can't give it anything but a five. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |
Miss McKinley, the author of ''The Blue Sword,'' a 1983 Newbery honor selection, has in this suspenseful prequel, which is the 1985 Newbery Award winner, created an utterly engrossing fantasy, replete with a fairly mature romantic subplot as well as adventure. She transports the reader into a beguiling realm of pseudomedieval pageantry and ritual where the supernatural is never far below the surface of the ordinary. For those who like fantasy fiction, as I do, ''The Hero and the Crown'' succeeds.

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnston, David McCallCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorn, LoriCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Terri
She could not remember a time when she had not known the story; she had grown up knowing it. She supposed someone must have told her it, sometime, but she could not remember the telling.

Robin McKinley's mesmerizing history of Damar is the stuff that legends are made of. The Hero and the Crown is a dazzling "prequel" to The Blue Sword.

Aerin is the only child of the king of Damar, and should be his rightful heir. But she is also the daughter of a witchwoman of the North, who died when she was born, and the Damarians cannot trust her.

But Aerin's destiny is greater than her father's people know, for it leads her to battle with Maur, the Black Dragon, and into the wilder Damarian Hills, where she meets the wizard Luthe. It is he who at last tells her the truth about her mother, and he also gives over to her hand the Blue Sword, Gonturan. But such gifts as these bear a great price, a price Aerin only begins to realize when she faces the evil mage, Agsded, who has seized the Hero's Crown, greatest treasure and secret strength of Damar

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441328091, Mass Market Paperback)

For over a decade, Robin McKinley's richly woven saga has gripped the imagination of readers and caused critics to hail her as a master of fantasy. It is the story of Aerin, haunted since childhood by the legend of her mother-a "witchwoman" who enspelled the king and then died of disappointment after giving birth to a daughter, rather than the heroic son the kingdom needed. But little did the young princess know the long-dormant powers of her mother would wield their own destiny. For though she was a woman, Aerin was destined to be the true hero who would one day wield the power of the Blue Sword....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

Aerin, with the guidance of the wizard Luthe and the help of the blue sword, wins the birthright due her as the daughter of the Damarian king and a witchwoman of the mysterious, demon-haunted North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,470,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible