Kandide and the Secrets of the Mists by…

Kandide and the Secrets of the Mists

by Diana S. Zimmerman

Other authors: Maxine Gadd (Illustrator)

Series: The Calabiyau Chronicles (1)

love when a book has artwork within it. It just makes it that more special. The characters in the book are full of magic, myth and creativity that you just have to like. Of course it does help even more if you are faery lover. This is a story about being different outside and how you can be the same as others on the inside. It is also about having power and using it wisely. I actually have two of these books and I am hoping to meet the author at FaerieCon Oct 10th - 12th and get one of the books signed (and the other I am keeping). I will be having a special give away for it here at Confuzzled Books. ( )
  lavenderagate | Aug 19, 2011 |
Kandide is the most beautiful and the most perfect of the Fee, and after her father dies the most important magical gift of all, the Gift of Frost which changes the seasons, renewing the world, passes to her. But in overconfidence and with an over inflated sense of importance (which both cover the doubts and insecurities mixing beneath the surface) she has an accident, a mistake that leaves her scarred and therefore cast out from the society that days earlier prepared to make her their queen.

Banished from the perfect Fee society Kandide must come to terms with her imperfections and realize that there's still a queen within her.

Truth be told I thought the book took too long to get going and I thought the Perfect equals, well, perfection plot line was heavy handed. But I read this story to my daughter, who is far closer to the target audience (9-12), before bed every night. She was absolutely enchanted.

Kandide's emotional and physical pain made her a real person, and the bits of action kept her clutching the blanket and asking for one more chapter. The cast of fantasy characters from monsters to fairies to griffins, sparked her imagination and added more tools to her own storytelling equipment box.

While there wasn't enough time spent on some of the secondary characters, Egan and Tara specifically, for her to get caught up with them this is the first book in a trilogy, as is promised by the resolution.

There are many pros to Kandide and the Secret of the Mists for both child and parent. Nonviolent solutions are promoted as a means to solving problems. The book is excellent for expanding a young vocabulary. Larger words are used in a way that makes their meaning easy to interpret for children. And even the scary situations are downplayed as much as the emotions are over played which leaves the danger still "safe" and not scary.

Kandide and the Secret of the Mists is accompanied by beautiful illustrations and crafted with the magic in the hearts of children in mind. If your child loves dreams and fantasy this is a fine addition to their early library. ( )
1 vote Michele_lee | Dec 15, 2008 |
An okay story with a good message for kids: acceptance, tolerance, and that it is who we are on the inside that makes us beautiful. ( )
  maribs | Oct 1, 2008 |
An enchanted book. In this book a young vain faery Kandide learns that beauty is more than just skin deep and everyone is perfect in there own ways. This book is a wonderful junior fiction fantasy - I loved it from page one and I can't wait to read more by this author. It had great morals for young people and characters that, although they are faeries, we all could relate too. A great book and one of my favorites! I could not put it down! ( )
  willowwaw | Jun 16, 2008 |

Diana S. Zimmermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gadd, MaxineIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

What if everything you loved was suddenly taken away...
And everything you feared became your only hope?

What if everything you loved was suddenly taken away . . .

And everything you feared became your only hope?

Still a teen in human years, Kandide is spoiled, vain, and the personification of perfection. She is also heir to the throne of Calabiyau and keeper of The Gift, the key to survival for all Fae. When a tragic accident leaves her less than perfect, her own mother casts her away to a treacherous world where strange beasts roam the dark, lifeless forest and even stranger Fae rule the land. Kandide must battle hideous creatures, as well as her own internal repulsion for the 'Imperfects' she is now like, if she is to survive. But these are just the beginning of her troubles; within Calabiyau, a presence far more deadly emerges. Joined by her prankster brother, Teren, her tomboy sister, Tara, and a group of misfit Imperfects, the Fae Princess must challenge the darkest of creatures to face an evil worse than any she could have imagined if she is to save the very Fae who sent her away. Calabiyau will forever change, or will it?

Praise for Kandide: 'Kandide gives its readers one captivating, enthralling adventure after another.' --S. Earl Statler, critic correspondent, The Los Angeles Newspaper Group

'Kandide is pure magic!' --Lance Burton, internationally acclaimed magician

'Mixing adventure and fantasy with life lessons is making Kandide and the Secret of the Mists a favorite in my class for two years in a row. We were lucky to read it in pre-publication. Now, this year's students are REALLY enjoying Kandide. . .' --Jeff Smith, teacher, Sable Point Elementary School, Florida

'Throughout my career, I've traveled everywhere and I've seen a lot of magic. Kandide's world is without a doubt one of the most magical places I've ever visited, and I can't wait to go back'--Cyril Takayama, International Magic Star and Magic Castle Magician on the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:50 -0400)

Still a teen in human years, Kandide is spoiled, vain, and the personification of perfection. She is also heir to the throne of Calabiyau and keeper of The Gift, the key to survival for all Fee. When her wing is crushed in an accident, her own mother casts her away to the Mists, a treacherous land where imperfects are sent to fend for themselves. Kandide must not only come to terms with her own internal repulsion at who she has become, but must learn to survive among those she fears. Joined by her aspiring wizard brother, Teren, her tomboy sister, Tara, and a group of misfit Imperfects, the Fee Princess must challenge the darkest of creatures to face an evil worse than any she could have imagined if she is to save the very Fee who sent her away. Calabiyau will forever change, or will it?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible