Slave by Cheryl Brooks

English (14)  German (1)  All (15)
4.5 out of 5 stars ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
This book was okay. I liked the futuristic setting and both the H/h, but the writing style was odd. It was written as though you were sitting with the narrator, the heroine Jacinth, as she told you the story of her life -- how she met and fell in love with her mate, Cat while she searched the galaxy for her missing sister. It had a sort of stream of consciousness style to it and many tangent were wandered down, which makes sense when someone is telling you a story because they don't have an editor telling them the bits to keep and those to discard, but as a book it didn't work for me because I kept thinking "this book really needed more editing." It wasn't bad, but I did do a lot of skimming towards the end and got frustrated when, yet again, she was blathering on about something that had nothing to do with the main plot.

I'm hoping the style choice had to do with this particular narrator and the other books are written differently. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be reading much more of this series. ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
Just not into it. Lost interest fairly quickly. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
My mother always said that if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all. Book reviews are exempt from this rule, because I think potential readers need to know what novels they should avoid. This is one of them.

I honestly thought the story had some potential. I wasn’t expecting an award-winning novel, but I thought it might be a fun read based on a cheesey trope I secretly love. I really couldn’t have been more wrong. It’s probably the only book I’ve read that’s worse than Evangeline Anderson‘s Brides of the Kindred series.

While I’m quite new to SciFi Romance/SciFi Erotica, I don’t know how I can possibly continue reading the genre if they all follow in this vein. But I digress. Back to the review.

The protagonist aimed to be a kick-ass, independent woman with a penchant for “old Earth” euphamisms, but fell short of the mark. She claimed to not want to have sex with her handsome slave prisoner because sex made her senses fuzzy – but all the trying NOT to have sex made her senses fuzzy and distracted us (and the character) from her ultimate goal. I don’t think this was the intention of the author, and I the number of times this terrible conundrum was mentioned was enough that I started rolling my eyes while I was reading it. I hope the other passengers on my bus didn’t think I was crazy. I plan on catching that bus for many years.

Constant “Earth Slang” got aggravating after a few chapters, as did the innapropriate use of the exclamation mark during dialogue. The ending bothered me quite a bit, as well. It felt clichéd, cheap and contrary.

I won’t be continuing this series. ( )
  snitchbitch | Sep 10, 2013 |
This was an enjoyable read and a great escape. There is not very much SciFi romance out there and as a story this was pretty good. She created a believable futuristic space travel universe with different planets and aliens.

OK so some reviewers state that the Hero, Cat, is flat or without personality. But I think that those opinions are because it was all written in first person with only Jack's, Jacinth's, input. This is not the norm for romances and gives insight into only her mind, you have to judge him by what she tells you.

If you are into SciFi and Romance/erotica this is probably a book for you. I read straight through it. I loved the planet she created. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |

The Cat Star Chronicles have taken the universe by storm, delighting readers with their sensual Zeitithian warriors and their unique special powers. As one reviewer put it, "Wow. Just ... wow. The romantic chemistry is as close to perfect as you'll find" (BookFetish). Now discover where it all started with the first three Cat Star Chronicles books for one low price. This bundle includes Slave, Warrior, and Rogue, each story a powerhouse of passion and suspense. Find out why Cheryl Brooks is the newest star of sizzling fantasy romance and lose yourself in the worlds of her rare and potent.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible