The Magician by Michael Scott

The Magician

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (2)

English (48)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
  BRCSBooks | Aug 1, 2014 |
I really like this book because it is never boring. In the beginning, Sophie and Josh have completely changed in less than a week. They are wishing they were back home more than anything. In The book, Perenelle (Perry) is trapped on alcatraz with monsters right out of your worst nightmare and a sphinx roaming the hallways. Aso, Sophie and Josh have learned that Nicolas Flamel's book, the codex has a prophecy about them! In thIs book, Sophie learns the magis of fire and Josh is awakened. (Mya) ( )
  JSIS-Reviews | Jun 14, 2014 |
As much fun as the first book! Reading them so close together, parts were a little repetitive, but I care about and am interested in the characters. ( )
  TeenSpirit | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book is the second in the series of "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel". I enjoyed the first one ("The Alchemist") but I liked this one even more. Practically every chapter is a cliffhanger, so it's hard to put the book down!

As in the first volume, the author weaves together figures from many different mythologies and incorporates a variety of historical figures, bringing them into the 20th century in a very creative and imaginative way. The characters are believable, and have a certain depth to them that keeps them from being too predictable. Personally, I might take issue in part with the way he presents one of the characters introduced in this book, who is also considered a saint by the Catholic Church. Nonetheless, it's not a major point and I did not find it offensive. That opens a whole can of worms (the interface between religion, history, and fantasy literature) that I won't deal with in depth here. Given the genre and the audience, I think it is a legitimate creative license, although I would have preferred it to be done slightly differently.

As a priest, I am happy to say that - besides the issue of magic and sorcery, which merits a more in-depth and nuanced treatment and which is a debate which affects almost all fantasy literature - I did not find anything in this book which was morally ambiguous or problematic. I can recall no objectionable language, sexual immorality, etc. - not even implied. Even the humor is practically never of the "gross-out" kind that could bother some readers (the closest it gets is only one brief conversation about coprolites). The same was true of the first book, and hopefully will be true of the rest of the series.

"The Magician" is very much a part of a series; it won't make sense to you if you haven't read the first book, and the ending isn't really a conclusion. I am finding this book to be like good snack food - you can't read one without an almost uncontrollable urge to read more.

For my opinion on more general issues regarding the style and content of the series, read my review about the first book (not yet written as I post this review, but I hope to have it done soon). ( )
  mehjg | Feb 6, 2014 |
I still really like this series. I enjoy all the different mythologies and historical characters the author works in. It took me a lot longer than I wanted to get around to reading it, but I'm happy because book 3 is out and now I can read it right away.

(Also, I have to admit, I laugh every time I read the author's name because I imagine Michael Scott from the Office writing the book. If I hadn't read the first book on audio, I imagine Steve Carrell's voice would be the "reader" in my head.) ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoc opus, hic labor est
For Courtney and Piers; Hoc opus, hic labor est
a Courtney y Piers
Hoc opus, hic labor est
I am dying.
Perched on top of the water tower on Alcatraz, surrounded by huge Dire-Crows, the Morrigan sang softly to herself. It was a song first heard by the most primitive of ancient men, now imprinted deep into humankind's DNA. It was slow and gentle, lost and plaintive, beautiful ... and utterly terrifying. It was the Song of the Morrigan: a cry designed to inspire fear and terror. An on battlefields across the world and down through time, it was often the last sound a human heard in this life.

The New York Times bestseller now in paperback!

In the second book in the New York Times bestselling series, Nicholas, Sophie, Josh, and Scatty emerge in Paris, the City of Light, home to Nicholas Flamel. Only this homecoming is anything but sweet. Niccolò Machiavelli, immortal author and celebrated art collector, lives in Paris and is working for Dr. John Dee. He’s in hot pursuit, and time is running out for Nicholas and Perenell. Josh and Sophie Newman are the world’s only hope. . . . If they don’t turn on each other first.

★ “Readers will be swept up.”—Kirkus Reviews, Starred

“An exciting and impeccably thought-out fantasy, well-suited for those left in the lurch by Harry Potter’s recent exeunt.”—Booklist

“Fans . . . will certainly find much to love, root for, and fear in this successful second installment.”—School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:36 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old twins Sophie and Josh Newman continue their magical training in Paris with Nicholas Flamel, Scatty, and the Comte de Sant Germaine, pursued by Doctor Dee and the immortal Niccolo Machiavelli.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible