The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal…

The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) (edition 2009)

by Michael Scott

Member:ForrestFamily
Title:The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
Authors:Michael Scott
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, ebooks

The Magician by Michael Scott

English (67)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
Another fine example of young adult literature by Michael Scott, “The Magician” brings more memorable characters from history into the thrilling pages of the second book in the “Secrets of Nicholas Flamel” series. Now that Sophie’s been Awakened and learned the magic of air, she must continue her training with the magic of fire. Her brother Josh, ever envious of her abilities continues to wonder about his own powers, and if they can be Awakened too. A page-turner I couldn’t put down, I highly recommend this to anyone who loves historical fiction or fantasy. ( )
  clanoneves | Jul 5, 2018 |
I kind of wish I could give this a 3.5, or that I could rate the story and the narration separately. I read the first novel, and it was pretty decent. It was fun, but not all that as far as being literature. I borrowed the audiobook from the library as a bit of brain candy. The narration totally made this volume! The story was good, and the narration lent wonderful depth and subtlty. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Thankfully, this book greatly picks up the action in the series, and I found it much more enjoyable than the first book. Instead of needing to introduce the strange, magical world of Nicholas Flamel, Scott focuses more on ramping up the stakes for his characters. The baddies who want to turn humans back into slaves are congregating to work together to bring down Flamel and the twins, but Flamel has friends of his own, who are able to help in fight back in this one.

This book mostly takes place in France, where they traveled to during the last book using a portal. Sophie is learning fire magic, and Josh is trying to remain patient about everything, but the situation of Sophie having powers and him not having any is wearing on him. Perenelle is still imprisoned, though her storyline also makes progress in this book. (That’s all I can say without revealing spoilers, sorry!) I was much happier with the plot in this one. Tons of action, and the stakes are high — Flamel and the twins are running for their lives, and up against incredible odds, which makes for a brilliant reading experience.

The only thing that brought me down in this book was Josh’s character. It’s not a writing flaw or a story flaw, he’s just incredibly whiny and unlikeable, in my opinion. I get very frustrated during his parts, because I want him to get over himself and stop being such a whiny baby! Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Aside from his character, everything else is great. We meet some FANTASTIC new characters and learn even more about the mythology that rules this world, which is one of my favorite parts of reading books like this. I love all the worldbuilding and connections to myths and legends that we have.

If you’re into magic and mythology, definitely give this series a try. I was skeptical with book one, but this book is fantastic, and I’m excited to see what lies ahead. It’s a fairly easy/quick read for those who might get bored easily, too, so it might be a good fit for a reluctant reader.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Apr 12, 2018 |
This is an improvement upon the first book. The characters start to develop more interesting personalities and more complex/intriguing characters are introduced. I fail to see *why* Sophie and Josh are in any way special other than the narrator and other characters *tell* us they are. But maybe someday the two will actually grow into their own. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 6, 2017 |
Great! Like Book One of the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, this is an action-packed book. It is the very definition of a page-turner because each chapter ends on a nail-biting cliffhanger, but then switches to another setting and/or point-of-view to follow a different character, creating constant tension. The pace does get a little tiring, however, and sometimes I wished the author would linger when all he does is rush me along to the next plot twist. The characters are richly conceived, although sometimes they do, say, or think things that I found befuddling because there isn't much logic to it.

That all said, I have already requested book #3 from my local library. ( )
  aquaorbis | Nov 1, 2017 |

For Courtney and Piers; Hoc opus, hic labor est
a Courtney y Piers
Hoc opus, hic labor est
I am dying.
Perched on top of the water tower on Alcatraz, surrounded by huge Dire-Crows, the Morrigan sang softly to herself. It was a song first heard by the most primitive of ancient men, now imprinted deep into humankind's DNA. It was slow and gentle, lost and plaintive, beautiful ... and utterly terrifying. It was the Song of the Morrigan: a cry designed to inspire fear and terror. An on battlefields across the world and down through time, it was often the last sound a human heard in this life.

The New York Times bestseller now in paperback!

In the second book in the New York Times bestselling series, Nicholas, Sophie, Josh, and Scatty emerge in Paris, the City of Light, home to Nicholas Flamel. Only this homecoming is anything but sweet. Niccolò Machiavelli, immortal author and celebrated art collector, lives in Paris and is working for Dr. John Dee. He’s in hot pursuit, and time is running out for Nicholas and Perenell. Josh and Sophie Newman are the world’s only hope. . . . If they don’t turn on each other first.

★ “Readers will be swept up.”—Kirkus Reviews, Starred

“An exciting and impeccably thought-out fantasy, well-suited for those left in the lurch by Harry Potter’s recent exeunt.”—Booklist

“Fans . . . will certainly find much to love, root for, and fear in this successful second installment.”—School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:11 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old twins Sophie and Josh Newman continue their magical training in Paris with Nicholas Flamel, Scatty, and the Comte de Sant Germaine, pursued by Doctor Dee and the immortal Niccolo Machiavelli.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible