Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin

Handcuffs

by Bethany Griffin

Handcuff is a fabulous book for both boys and girls of high school age.

It the story of a girl with dysfunctional family. ( )
  khaysley | May 28, 2011 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

I have to put a disclaimer at the beginning of this review. I went into reading the book expecting something totally different. I believe if I either a) didn't know what the book was about or b) had a better understanding of the synopsis prior to starting it, I would have appreciated the story far more. From the first blurb I caught of the story, I actually expected it to be more of a hostage storyline. I was way off base.

Parker Prescott is the middle child. Her older sister is the perfect, popular Paige. Her younger brother, Preston, is the hyperactive one. Parker has always been the quiet, responsible one. That is until the day her parents find her and her ex-boyfriend in a compromising position.

But Parker's problems started before that day. Her father has lost his job and now the family is struggling financially. The for-sale sign in the front of the house troubles Parker. And on Christmas, when she gets a key in her stocking, she's angry at her parents because it's not a car for her, just the use of her father's Jeep. Her sister Paige was given a car, a huge "Sweet 16" party, an elaborate wedding - things they no longer have money for.

Parker has broken up with her boyfriend (and for the life of me, I can't find a single mention of his name in the book!) but goes running to his place after the key incident on Christmas. Parker had broken up with him for her own reasons. He wasn't cheating on her; he defends her when others would pick on her, what's not to love about him?

When he comes over one day after Christmas with the handcuffs, Parker gives in. He handcuffs her to her father's desk chair and slowly starts to remove her shirt. Of course this is when her parents come home early and catch them. They kick the ex-boyfriend out and ground Parker.

The story goes back and forth with Parker and her ex-boyfriend. Parker struggles with what she wants as she deals with the issues going on at home. As the money problems get progressively worse, Parker comes up with a way to help pay for the mortgage, at least. She keeps it hidden from her family but it all comes to a head when the cops show up and remove her computer.

There's so much going on with HANDCUFFS that it's more than just Parker and a compromising situation. Her sister is having marital problems. Her parents are trying to keep their head above water. Her sister's stalker's restraining order is due to expire. Her best friend, Raye, is pining over an ex-boyfriend. And always, there's Parker and her mixed-up emotions over her ex-boyfriend.

As you can see, this is so much more involved than what I originally expected the story to be when I first picked it up. It's a very intense and deep look at a two-month period in the life of Parker Prescott and her family. The story unravels at a nice pace, allowing the reader to discover all the different layers of Parker's life. Though the premise is risque sounding, the actual story is not overtly sexy. It's the normal struggle of a young girl coming to terms with her own sexuality, among other life lessons. ( )
1 vote GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
Parker Prescott has always been the dependable middle child. The one her parents love. 'Has been' being the key words. Two weeks ago she actually broke up with the boyfriend they all wanted her to break up with.

But then came the afternoon with the handcuffs when everything changed. Now she's no longer Perfect Parker.

That's really as much summary as I can give--and as much as really anyone else gives--but there's much, much more to the story than what that all makes it sound like. I came into the story expecting it to be about a goody-goody girl who had some torrid afternoon (of some sort or another) and then everything went boom. But really, everything was much more complex than that (and I can understand why the summaries are what they are; there's not really any other way to say things).

What isn't in my summary though is that Parker has a reputation-that she does quite a bit of living up to-of being an ice princess. A reputation that's fostered, cultivated and nurtured by Marion Hennessey's blog. Marion who used to be her neighbor; Marion who runs her own TMZ and hates Parker now.

And that's an example of why this book was enjoyable. There were several things (the blog, Parker's brother's ADD, etc) that helped the characters work. It wasn't just that Parker had a brother--her brother was a character--and so was her sister--and best friend--and so on.

I thought that the wayt he different characters and subplots ultimately worked themselves out (or not) in a way that brought everything to a conclusion was a nice way of doing things. It wasn't an A, B, C setup, conflict, resolution but seemed to work out more like life would.

The few things that I didn't like about the book: at the end of some chapters there were little bits that didnt' really seem necessary. It almost seemed as if someone wanted them included in the story but they didn't quite fit anywhere? (Or maybe I just missed how they contributed?) The other thing was that ages were mentioned quite a bit, but-to me at least-it was more distracting sometimes because it didn't always seem like they worked out (ex: one chapter was Parker's sister's birthday party-at the start Parker was 13, at the end she was 12; then they were 4 years apart and 2 grades apart...it just detracted from my reading a bit). ( )
1 vote BookSpot | May 7, 2009 |
Parker Prescott is know as the "Ice Princess". And, because of Marion Henessy's blog, everyone knows it. Everyone at school reads Marion's blog, so every fault of Parker is broadcasted to the entire school. Does is bother Parker? Of course, but you can't let your enemies get the best of you. If you're wondering what happened between Marion and Parker to make them the worst of enemies, it's a complex story involving siblings, stalking and a restraining order.

Parker is the good child of her family, which insists of an older (and wilder) sister and a younger brother. Now she's ready to just be herself and if that means breaking out of the good girl shell, then she's ready. You see, Parker has a ex-boyfriend that still has ahold of her. When her parents find her in a comprising position with some handcuffs, they find out the hard way that Parker is growing up and changing. But, that's going to be the least of their worries.

Handcuffs is and excellent first novel from Bethany Griffin. Parker is a girl that is a great narrator. She has the same feelings that girls her age feel. Also you can learn about the hard consequesnces of choices that we make, even if at the moment it feels like the right thing to do. I will be looking forward to more by Bethany, because her books are thought provoking and very easy to read. Welcome to the YA world, Bethany Griffin! If you would like to learn more about Bethany or Handcuffs, visit her site! ( )
  xhollishx | Apr 28, 2009 |
Parker is called the ice princess - she tries to hold herself apart from the rest of the students in her high school. But one student uses her blog to bully and shame her. Trouble in school, trouble with her boyfriend, trouble at home - who is she and what does she want? ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Jul 15, 2008 |

PARKER PRESCOTT IS an ice princess. Cold, aloof, a snob. At least, that’s what everyone says on Marion Hennessey’s blog. And everyone reads Marion Hennessey’s blog.

Parker Prescott is a middle child. She’s the good one, the dependable one, the one her parents trust. Well . . . she used to be.

Parker Prescott’s parents want her to break up with her boyfriend. But she already did, two weeks ago. And then she realized it was a mistake. He came over. He had the handcuffs in his pocket. Everything went downhill from there. Sort of.

Parker Prescott’s world is changing and she no longer knows who she is. Does anyone?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:21 -0400)

When sixteen-year-old Parker Prescott is discovered in a compromising position with her ex-boyfriend, she is forced to reevaluate her life and redefine herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible