The Ungarnished Truth: A Cooking Contest…

The Ungarnished Truth: A Cooking Contest Memoir

by Ellie Mathews

Just didn't care for the author's style -- didn't pull me in. Might try again at another time.
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
At first, Ellie Mathews made me want to enter a cooking contest, making me think it was easy enough to win, with her self-deprecating humor. Then, close to the end of the book she mentions what a close knit community the cooking contest field is and I thought "Why bother? These people do this all the time." Also, she tries to hard to appear humble; she's almost protesting a bit too much about her down-homeness.

On the whole, an interesting and insightful look into the world of cooking contests.

Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
While this was a breezy, fast read and a fairly good memoir, I couldn't shake the feeling that the author had a desperate need to be seen as "salt of the earth," and that this book was written, in large part, simply to counteract her perception that she was seen as cold and calculating when she won the Pillsbury Bake-Off. While her tales of recipe development and the hubbub that surrounds cooking competitions were amusing, they were interspersed with a jarring combination of "oh, really, I'm just normal folk!" protestations and an oddly holier-than-thou tendency to talk about Goodwill clothing, living without electricity, and eating "real" ethnic food. The juxtaposition was odd, and ended up making me completely baffled - I still don't know whether I love the author, or loathe her. ( )
  candlemark | Jul 18, 2011 |
not particularly well written, but a reasonably fun read--vital if you're ever thinking of entering the famous Pillsbury Bake-off!
  mochap | Mar 21, 2011 |
This was just plain fun to read. I felt right at home with the way she approaches things. And it's always fun to find out what happens behind the scenes, especially from one of the participants who provides great descriptions, emotional swings, and the full story from the beginning to the end. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 5, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219453, Hardcover)

A woman, a chicken, and a million-dollar adventure in the heartland of America's competitive cooking culture.

When Ellie Mathews entered her recipe for Salsa Couscous Chicken-eight chicken thighs cooked in Old El Paso salsa-in the grandma of all cooking contests, the Pillsbury Bake-Off, she never imagined she'd win the grand prize. Immediately after Alex Trebek announced that her dish had won a million dollars, this amateur cook was thrown into the limelight. She soon found herself booked on Oprah-and even photographed for the New York Times in a vest made of ostrich feathers-as the reigning queen of chickendom, the Pillsbury "It Girl" of the moment.

With a dash of self-deprecating humor and a pinch of biting social commentary, Ellie Mathews takes readers with her on her roller coaster ride to the top of the food chain as the Pillsbury prizewinner. As a cooking contest insider, she goes behind the counter and beyond the aprons and oven mitts to reveal a fascinating slice of Americana.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible