Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker

Underground to Canada (1977)

by Barbara Smucker

Taken away from her mother by a ruthless slave trader, all Julilly has left is the dream of freedom. Every day that she spends huddled in the slaver trader's wagon travelling south or working on the brutal new plantation, she thinks about the land where it is possible to be free, a land she and her friend Liza may reach someday.
  unsoluble | Jan 20, 2018 |
This book by Barbara Smucker is one interesting book. It takes place in the 19th century when a young slaves from the south girl named Julilly and her friend escape to Canada. I like this book and you should to. It's history and fiction TOGETHER. ( )
  ZillamusPrime12 | Feb 6, 2014 |
Underground to Canada is story about this women, her life as a slave, and her journey to escape from it. It is a very heartwarming book towards slaves and really makes you feel like you are there with her through the scary parts and when she finally reaches Canada. I read this book twice, and I can't normally do that with books I read. It was really good and I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good book about Canada. ( )
  Tessa13 | Jan 11, 2012 |
Running from people trying to take you away, hiding from danger everyday, how would you feel? In this book , " Underground to Canada," the slaves in the story went through many harsh times like that. The author, Barbara Classen, wrote all the bad experiences like you're having a nightmare. In my opinion, the book had lots of happy and sad scenes, which kept the book so interesting. That's why I actually could't resist the book and I read it quickly.

Away from her mother,Julilly was a happy black slave until a day came when she was sold to another owner, towards south. Missing the days she had with her former owner she met a new owner that was worse then anything. With all that cruelty, the only way out is to get to Canada safely. Whips, dogs and beatings took everything she and her friends got to escape, but that didn't stop her. They still had determination to continue, with a help of a man and the underground railway, she and her friends runs away. With high rewards to receive for finding them, and many people who wants the reward, where would they hide? Who would they meet? Would she make it? Or get caught and whipped ? I guess the book is the only key to the answer.

This book about a runaway slave, that everyone calls " Julilly," had a very special plot. Around every two chapters, there was a climax. The reason is because there was always a new problem that happens to them during their escape, and every time theres a problem a climax would be in it, which eventually gets solved. For example, in one of the problems, the group of slaves had to, unexpectedly, hide from a group of slave hunters in an old hut. Thats when the problem's action started to rise. It was so sudden so they were so unprepared. Then dogs started barking and Julilly heard chains.Even though the situation was near the beginning of the book, it was the climax because, she was so close to getting caught and everything was tense when I was reading that part. When it was all quiet again, she got out.Sadly, she found out that the two mens, that showed her the ways through the railway,was caught. It was so sad, and that was the part that goes from the climax to the ending, but it doesn't end. Then it starts rising towards the climax again, while other books are ending.

I recommend this book for people who had experienced or feels the empathy for the North American slaves. It is made for you if you like books that make you feel the need to read quietly in your own head, or books that make you feel like you're traveling to different places . When I read it, it felt like I was in a sad movie and I did whisper to myself, in my head, while reading the story. Reading this book is a great way of taking time and putting yourself into another's shoe. ( )
  yma | Oct 27, 2010 |
Julilly knows of no life but slavery, and she is pretty happy until she sold, and ripped from her mother, crammed into a wagon, and transported South, where she is treated terribly. When the chance comes to escape, she and her friend Liza are ready to risk everything for freedom in the far North.
This is a short little story, full of action and breathless tension, and the girls go from one stage of the Underground Railroad to the next. I think it is a good introduction to the effects of slavery and to the courage of those so unfairly forced to earn their freedom by making the fearful journey to free country. Real historical characters are brought alive, and there are interesting historical notes ta the back, this story might be a jumping off point to individual research into the Underground Railroad.
I'd give this to readers interested in historical fiction, slavery, or the role Canada played in North America during the time of slavery. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Jan 19, 2009 |

Barbara Smuckerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hofbauer, ImreIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Night music droned through the slave quarters of Jeb Hensen's Virginia plantation.
Underground to Canada was also published as Runaway to Freedom, Huida Al Canada/Fugitive in Canada, and Folge dem Nordstern in German.

Two slave girls escape from a plantation near Vicksburg, Mississippi and steal toward Canada on the Underground Railroad.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,814,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible