HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan…
Loading...

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Milan Kundera

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
16,646192106 (4.03)2 / 325
Member:sturlington
Title:The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Authors:Milan Kundera
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Czech Republic, Prague, 20th century, novel, read in 1990s

Work details

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (1984)

  1. 30
    The Leopard by Giuseppe Di Lampedusa (Eustrabirbeonne)
  2. 20
    Sophie's Choice by William Styron (rretzler)
  3. 00
    Love by Angela Carter (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both treatments on the intricacies of love and romantic/sexual relationships. Kundera's is the more readable of the two, but the themes running through them are very similar.
  4. 01
    In Praise of Older Women by Stephen Vizinczey (soylentgreen23)
    soylentgreen23: The perfect companion piece, since it deals with a lot of sex, women, affairs, and surviving in Communist Eastern Europe.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (155)  Spanish (12)  French (7)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (192)
Showing 1-5 of 155 (next | show all)
მოხეტიალე წიგნების აქცია რომ დაიწყო, აქტიურად ვადე​ვნებდი თვალყურს ფეისბუქზე, ვინ რა წიგნს უშვებდა, ვ​ინმე თუ პოულობდა და ა.შ. ​
ჩემ წიგნებსაც გადავხედე ცალი თვალით და დამენანა, ა​რა ჩემ წიგნებს ვერ გავიმეტებ! მათი რაოდენობა არც ი​სე დიდია. მინდა დიდი ბიბლიოთეკა მქონდეს. ვათვალიერ​ებდი მოხეტიალე წიგნების ფეისბუქ გვერდს და მჯეროდა ​რომ მე არც ერთი მათგანის პოვნა არ "მეწერა" უბრალოდ​ არასდროს არაფერი მიპოვია. მაგრამ ერთ დღესაც "ყოფი​ს აუტანელმა სიმსუბუქემ" თავად მიპოვა.​
გამიკვირდა მაგიდაზე წიგნი რომ დავინახე. მაშინვე მო​ხეტიალე წიგნებზე ვიფიქრე და სასწრაფოდ გადავშალე სა​ტიტულო გვერდზე. "ზოგჯერ ისეც ხდება რომ მოხეტიალე წ​იგნები თავად პოულობენ ადრესატებს" - ეწერა. თან ეს ​ის წიგნი იყო რომლიც არ მქონდა წაკითხული და უახლოეს​ თვეებში ვგეგმავდი წაკითხვას. ორი კვირით ადრე ელექ​ტრონული ვერსია ინგლისურად ვიშოვე და ქინდლში ჩავწერ​ე. ახლა კი თავად გამომეცხადა განსხეულებული სახით. ​(ფურცელზე დაბეჭდილი წიგნის კითხვა უფრო სასიამოვნოა​
ეს შემთხვევა იმდენადაა სასიამოვნო რამდენადაც პირვე​ლად ვიპოვე ღირებული ნივთი (რომელიც მართალია დროები​თ იმყოფება ჩემთან)და იმითაც რომ წიგნმა არათუ იმედი​ გამიცრუა არამედ ძალიან მომეწონა.​
ეს არის წიგნი ადამიანთა სევდაზე, პირად და სოციალურ​ ცხოვრებაზე, პოლიტიკაზე, სექსუალობაზე, ადამიანებზე​ რომელიც ყოფის აუტანელი სიმსუბუქით იტანჯებიან. წვრ​ილმანებზე რომლებიც ფილოსოფიურ სიმბოლიზმს ატარებენ,​ ურთიერთსაწინააღმდეგო გრძნობებზე, სიმარტოვესა და ვ​ერ გაგებულ სიტყვებზე.​
ძალიან ბევრი საინტერესო აზრით და პარალელით "გაშიშვ​ლებული" პერსონაჟთა ფსიქლოგიით და რაღაც აუხნელი სინ​
როგორც ძველი პატრონი იტყობინება "ერთი ამოსუნთქვით"​
რომელიც სულ მალე ახალი მკითხველის საძებნელად გაეშუ​ ( )
  Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
Малко са ѝ пет звезди! Прекрасна, дълбока, многопл​астова и откровена. Това ще стане една от малкото ​книги, които ще препрочитам отново и отново.​ ( )
  Art3mis | Aug 12, 2016 |
Read this when I was in university, but can't remember a thing except that I loved it at the time. Will revisit
  manishch | Aug 2, 2016 |
I really liked this book. I can't say it was an absolute love but it's one I could see myself revisiting because there were certainly things I loved about it. For instance, I'm a background junkie (most of the time). I love when authors really get into the nitty gritty of their characters and pull out different things for us to see and learn about them as individuals and how they react to their surroundings, circumstances, and others. I think authors can dive into these depths in one of two ways: one, they are writing a character that they can personally identify with and, as such, the character becomes a body of autobiographical nature, or two, the author has a grasp on psychology that may be fleshed out by innumerable perspectives. Sometimes you fall into a book that is guided by an author that is able to let bloom a combination of these two ways in such magnitude that you are able to be swept up in character psychology and the authors personal views so seamlessly that it becomes more of an experience to be had than a book you happened to pick up. Almost like setting a scalpel (to use Kundera's words) to the genius of Beethoven, Nietzsche, etc. to see what lies beneath, what propels their personal "es muss sein."

So, that's what I'd identify The Unbearable Lightness of Being as. An experience that should be had for a large majority of the populace. In delving into what has brought his characters into being and what forces power their worlds and interactions, Kundera creates a sense of empathy and understanding that isn't necessarily inherent in the grand scheme of things. While I don't agree with each point, I certainly felt it broadening the brushstrokes I'd previously painted my opinions with. I also think it will continue to do so the more I think about it or come back to it. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
This book has the power of evoking some really overwhelming imagery and emotions. That's about as much I can come up with right now. ( )
  Adarsh_Nargundkar | Jun 12, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 155 (next | show all)
This is a book to bring home how parochial and inward looking most fiction written in the English language is. There is no possible way that The Unbearable Lightness Of Being could have been written by a British or US author, or indeed any other anglophile. The mind set, the life experiences and especially the history it is written from are all too different. While the thrust of this book is by no means the same, I was reminded by its sensibility of the work of Bohumil Hrabal – not surprisingly also a Czech author.

The book is unusual in another sense – it breaks most of the rules that aspiring writers are advised to adhere to. A lot of the action is told to us rather than shown, Kundera addresses the reader directly, inserts his opinions into the narrative, tells us his interpretations of the characters. He also messes with chronology (admittedly not a major drawback, if one at all) and parenthetically gives us important information about some characters in sections which ostensibly deal with others. In parts, especially in the author’s musings on kitsch as the denial of the existence of crap - in all its senses - in the world, it reads as a treatise rather than an exploration of the human condition. That is, at times it is not fiction at all.

Kundera is highly regarded, so is this the essence of high art in fiction? That, as well as dealing with “important” subjects - or perhaps being considered to be circumscribed yet still endeavouring to tell truth to power (whatever truth may be) - the author should step beyond the bounds of narrative; of story?

The problem with such an approach is that it tends to undermine suspension of disbelief. The characters become too obviously constructs; the reader is in danger of losing sympathy, or empathy, with them; or indeed to care. It is a fine line to tread.

Where The Unbearable Lightness Of Being is not unusual is in its treatment of those novelistic eternals love, sex and death. Indeed at times it seems to be fixated on sex.

While the exigencies of living in a totalitarian state do colour the narrative, the treatment is matter of fact, oblique, almost incidental. The choices the characters make merely fall within the constraints of such a system. It is true, however, that something similar could be said for characters in any milieu. There are constraints on us all.

What I did find disappointing was that rather than finish, the book just seemed to stop. While the fates of the characters Kundera leaves us with are already known, this hardly seemed fair. "Leave them wanting more" may be an old showbiz adage but in the context of a one-off novel might be thought to be a failing.
added by jackdeighton | editA Son Of The Rock, Jack Deighton (Jan 17, 2011)
 
The world, and particularly that part of the world we used to call, with fine carelessness, eastern Europe, has changed profoundly since 1984, but Kundera's novel seems as relevant now as it did when it was first published. Relevance, however, is nothing compared with that sense of felt life which the truly great novelists communicate.
 
The mind Mr. Kundera puts on display is truly formidable, and the subject of its concern is substantively alarming.
 
Moments of Olympian distance, in which the author shows his mortals ignorantly creeping toward oblivion, alternate with passages of stirring intimacy, with the novelist playing cheerleader, urging victories for everyone.
added by Shortride | editTime, Paul Gray (Apr 16, 1984)
 
''The Unbearable Lightness of Being'' is a fairly straightforward inquiry into the intertwined fates of two pairs of lovers. The fact that it aspires to be a more conventional novel accounts for both its virtues and its flaws. If ''Lightness'' demonstrates a new capacity, on Mr. Kundera's part, to create sympathetic characters and sustain a lyrical story, the increased formality of its narrative design also tends to throw a harsher light on his penchant for philosophical digression.
 

» Add other authors (56 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Kundera, Milanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barbato, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Valenzuela, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heim, Michael HenryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliver, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roth, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siraste, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
V., Fernando ValenzuelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valenzuela, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valenzuela, Fernando deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zgustová, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Шульгина, НинаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
La idea del eterno retorno es misteriosa y con ella Nietzsche dejó perplejo a los demás filósofos...
The idea of eternal return is a mysterious one, and Nietzsche has often perplexed other philosophers with it: to think that everything recurs as we once experienced it, and that the recurrence itself recurs ad infinitum! What does this mad myth signify?
Die Ewige Wiederkehr ist ein geheimnisvoller Gedanke, und Nietzsche hat damit manchen Philosophen in Verlegenheit gebracht: alles wird sich irgendwann so wiederholen, wie man es schon einmal erlebt hat, und auch diese Wiederholung wird sich unendlich wiederholen!
Quotations
When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object.
Tomas did not realize at the time that metaphors are dangerous. Metaphors are not to be trifled with. A single metaphor can give birth to love.
...vertigo is something other than the fear of falling.  It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts us and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original title: Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060932139, Paperback)

A young woman in love with a man torn between his love for her and his incorrigible womanizing; one of his mistresses and her humbly faithful lover—these are the two couples whose story is told in this masterful novel. In a world in which lives are shaped by irrevocable choices and by fortuitous events, a world in which everything occurs but once, existence seems to lose its substance, its weight. Hence, we feel "the unbearable lightness of being" not only as the consequence of our pristine actions but also in the public sphere, and the two inevitably intertwine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:30 -0400)

(see all 5 descriptions)

Interweaves story and dream, past and present, and philosophy and poetry in the sardonic and erotic tale of two couples--Tomas and Teresa, and Sabina and her Swiss lover, Gerhart.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 10 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
10 avail.
445 wanted
1 pay2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.03)
0.5 9
1 63
1.5 19
2 210
2.5 44
3 650
3.5 192
4 1396
4.5 197
5 1522

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,431,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible