Fuzzy Navel by J. A. Konrath

I'm not quite sure what to make of this story. In some ways it's a 4 star book, but others dropped to a 2, so I'm settling on 3. Up until now, Jack Daniels has been a fairly serious cop. Oh, there's some humor, but overall it's been a serious story. Konrath pulled out the stops on this one, though. Serious turned into seriously slapstick, almost "Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein". It wasn't badly done, although not what I expected.

Another change was structure. There were a lot of short chapters, each told from a different point of view & titled for that character. It was well done & I liked it. The book took place in a much smaller slice of time than normal, too. Instead of days or weeks, it takes place in hours. This made for more detail & some exhausting action.

There were a few real kickers in here for anyone that's been following the series. That added to the humor & was what pushed it over the top a few times - not always in a good way - but it made it a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, Konrath gave in to some machinations I just detest. Excitement building scenes often ended chapters on cliff hangers & then came back around later with a few screws loose. The end especially sucks. (I'm going to throw the next comment under a spoiler because it's iffy - not really a spoiler, but it says something about the ending you might not want to know.) Someone close to Jack dies at the end, but we never find out who it is. Given the order in which the ambulances left, we can guess, but it could be any of 3 people.

Cheap shot, Konrath. You get my back up when you resort to such trickery to rope me in. Just for that, I'm not buying the next book new, but getting it used.

I want to keep up with the series anyway. It is a fun, light read. Perfect for me right now, in the middle of budget season. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Continuing saga of Lt. Jack Daniels on-going battle with the Kork family of Psychopaths, this one specifically with the recently escaped from prison, Alexandra (Alex). Through in a trio of would be military want-to-be sniper vigilantes and you have an idea of what Jack is going against only it is worse than times past. Now, Alex has spent the last few years in prison pumping iron and is really strong in addition to her third level black belt martial arts training. After Jack deals with the snipers, she asks Herb, her partner, to make excuses while she goes home after her mom's urgent call asking her to come home. When she arrives, she finds that Alex arrived before her and has both her mother and fiance bound and uses threat against them to convince Jack to invite her former partner, Harry, her friend Phineas Trout and current partner, Herb. Alex wants to host a pain party with all of Jack's family and friends. This is an action packed thriller that tests the ingenuity and endurance of Jack with the risk of pain and death for her and her friends. As always, Harry provides the comic relief. ( )
  JosephLYoung | Oct 26, 2011 |
This is the fifth book in Konrath's Jack Daniels series. I loved the first four. This one, however, was a huge disappointment for me. Halfway through, I gave up and skipped ahead to the last few pages just to see how it ended. It didn't, really.

Lots of "action", that was more gratuitous violence than anything else. Most of it made no sense. Lots of shooting. I mean lots! Houses being ripped apart by high-powered bullets. Yet the people inside are discussing birthmarks and Jack Daniels is holding a frozen bag of peas to her sore jaw, as if it's just another day at the office. Coincidences bordered on the ridiculous. Jack Daniels' life has become a violent comic strip, with her as the heroine pursued by a constant onslaught of madmen and women that no one but her can stop. This was more of a satirical spin on suspense than a book I could take seriously, even for a moment.

Konrath has proven himself a brilliant writer with prior books in this series, which is the only reason I bumped this one from 1 star to 2. ( )
  Darcia | Aug 2, 2010 |
good book, not as good as the previous ones, but still highly recommended ( )
  lg4154 | Jun 3, 2009 |
Chicago PD Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels is going through a good period in her life. She’s engaged to Latham, a guy she’s crazy about, is living with her mom in a house outside the city, and has just received word her archenemy Alex Kork is dead. Jack and her partner Herb Benedict are called to the scene of a murder, where a sex offender has been killed by a sniper. But the sniper isn’t finished and keeps taking potshots at Jack and the police officers investigating the crime scene. Jack manages to get the officers out of danger, attracting the attention of the sniper, and learns that two other snipers have murdered sex offenders in other parts of Chicago. In the midst of all this, Jack gets a call from her mother telling her she needs to come home. Jack, feeling something isn’t right, rushes home, where she finds her mother and Latham held prisoner by Kork. From that point on, Jack is engaged in a battle to save her own life, as well as her mom’s and Latham’s, and even that of her ex-partner Harry McGlade when he shows up. And not just from Kork, but from the snipers, who have tracked Jack down and want in on the fun.

Take a deep breath before beginning this book because there’s nonstop action and nail-biting suspense from the first page. Jack Daniels is a tough cop but Kork proves herself to be more than a worthy adversary and is as relentless as the Energizer bunny. The book moves along at a fast pace, with plenty of dark humor and witticisms thrown around, and a quirky surprise involving the obnoxious McGlade. Some readers may feel cheated by the ending, which leaves a question unanswered. ( )
  ctfrench | Mar 2, 2009 |
FUZZY NAVEL
1 1/2 oz. peach schnapps
3 oz. orange juice
Pour schnapps in a rocks or old-fashioned glass filled with ice
Add orange juice.
Thi book is for George Daily,
whose unwavering friendship and support,
make him worth several times his weight in gold,
or, in his case, barley.
It's Quiet in the Suburbs.

Hoping for a break in light of her fiancé's recuperation from botulism poisoning and a deadly criminal's suicide, Chicago Police Department lieutenant Jacqueline Daniels finds her life thrown back into turmoil by the activities of a band of murderous vigilantes.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,973,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible