What to Expect the First Year by Heidi…

What to Expect the First Year (original 1993; edition 2008)

by Heidi Murkoff

Member:cfarmer
Title:What to Expect the First Year
Authors:Heidi Murkoff
Info:Workman Publishing (2008), Edition: 2 Reissue, Paperback, 806 pages

What To Expect The First Year by Heidi Murkoff (1993)

XE/pr
  HollandseClub | Jul 1, 2017 |
Time Machine
4.0 out of 5 stars I Am Buying A Second Book..., May 12, 2005

I see that there has been a great deal written pro and con about this book. Let me then say just a little more in its favor as well as say why I am buying a second book for my family.

In its favor: We have quite a few baby/toddler/preschooler books on our shelves but this remains one of my favorites for the first year. The main reason is it's readability. It is easy to read and reread-which is something first-time moms tend to do (or at least it's what I did). In particular, I was absorbed by the milestones; alternately pleased or concerned as the months came and went. But what fun to be able enjoy this new aspect of life with my babies.

Book 2 Project: One of things I did as the months passed was to write down when my children reached their milestones. I am buying another book in order to copy my remarks so that I will have one to give to each of my children so that when they have their own babies they can compare and contrast their children's development with what is written in their personal books.

Summary: not all of the information in What to Expect is without controversy. Personally, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the family bed and extended breast feeding. We did one but not the other. In any case, my advice would be to not let any single book be your only source of information. Read, read, read. Go to the library with your newborn. A good habit to develop for later on. Include a healthy dose of Brazelton, Sears, Leach and even Spock in your diet.

And don't be afraid to add this excellent book to your shelves. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 28, 2016 |
Dated information and only useful for those who have never even held a baby before. Even it's use for that purpose is doubtful. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is probably as close to an instruction manual for babies as you can get. It covers a very diverse range of topics. While I didn't agree with all of the advice given, it is a great starting point and has lots of ideas on issues I hadn't thought of or encountered before. I would recommend it for new parents. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
I found Heidi Murkoff's "What to Expect the First Year" to be relatively helpful at answering questions. It can get a bit preachy in spots.

I actually thought the next book in the series, the toddler years, was much more helpful since it listed developmental milestones and covered questions relevant for each month. The first year book was more general and didn't cover issues that might be somewhat unusual in nature. ( )
  amerynth | Dec 13, 2014 |

Heidi Murkoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisenberg, Arlenemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hathaway, Sandeemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazel, Sharonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Widome, Mark D.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0894805770, Paperback)

Is our baby eating enough? Is this much crying normal? How do I know when she is really sick? This hefty, 671-page guide to your baby's first year is brought to you by the creators of the bestselling What to Expect When You're Expecting. The three authors, all mothers themselves, are calm, clear, and encouraging as they tackle the first year of child-rearing, month by month. The easy-to-absorb, chronological format includes sections such as "What Your Baby May Be Doing," "What You Can Expect at This Month's Checkups," "Feeding Your Baby This Month," "What You May Be Concerned About," and "What It's Important to Know."

Part Two addresses special concerns such as illness, first aid do's and don'ts, the low-birthweight baby, the adopted baby, becoming a father, and sibling relationships. You'll also find discussions of breastfeeding and bottlefeeding, selecting a physician for the baby, diapers and clothing, safety, and many ways of stimulating the baby's development. The recipes for babies and toddlers in Part Three are useful, as are the recommended home remedies; charts on common childhood illnesses; height and weight; and the thorough index. (A particular strength of the book is the authors' careful attention to diet and nutrition for both mother and baby, incorporating the American Academy of Pediatrics' latest recommendations on infant nutrition.) While some of the authors' perspectives are controversial (such as whether to let your baby "cry it out" or not), this book remains one of the most comprehensive resources for new parents as they toddle through their baby's first year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:04 -0400)

A first-year child care manual with information on baby's monthly growth and development, feeding, sleeping habits, illness, and safety.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,658,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible