De opwindvogelkronieken by Haruki Murakami

De opwindvogelkronieken (original 1995; edition 2003)

by Haruki Murakami

14,410297248 (4.2)4 / 921
Member:gust
Title:De opwindvogelkronieken
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Amsterdam Atlas 2003
Tags:literatuur, japan, magisch realisme, wo2, surrealisme, 19

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (1995)

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PaulBerauer)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins (Alialibobali)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (eromsted)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (ainsleytewce)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Both this and Wind-Up Bird are about a man dealing with odd circumstances and going through a change. If you like the way Murakami writes, you probably will enjoy Mark Haddon's writing.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (andomck)
    andomck: Both books, besides having science fiction/magical realism elements, discuss bloody episodes of WWII from the point of view of everyday people.
    The Magus by John Fowles (WoodsieGirl)
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (alzo)
    The Sea Came in at Midnight by Steve Erickson (alzo)
    Oh!: A mystery of 'mono no aware' by Todd Shimoda (Magus_Manders)
    The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez (Anonymous user)
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    After the Quake by Haruki Murakami (andomck)
    The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God & Other Stories by Etgar Keret (-Eva-)
    How the Hula Girl Sings by Joe Meno (andomck)
    Vilnius Poker by Ricardas Gavelis (Sarasamsara)
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (aethercowboy)
    The Interpreter by Suki Kim (booklove2)
    booklove2: Both books involve a displaced from the world character searching for clues to solve mysteries.

English (265)  Dutch (8)  French (5)  Danish (4)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (297)
After reading about 200 pages of this novel, I no longer wanted to know more about what happened to the characters. The pacing is slow and found the narrator to be not reliable. There is a marriage breakdown and the narrator seemed non-plused by this and I did not want to figure it all out. so, I returned the book to the library. ( )
  vpfluke | Feb 24, 2019 |
Huh. Well, a few thoughts instead of a review.

The first half flew by and I really enjoyed the tales; the story was light and breezy and not a chore to read, even though it went on forever. However, the second half's stories went from kooky to more occultic than I wanted to read; the war and zoo stories dragged the story down and I didn't really care. Nutmeg was an uninteresting character.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that the book was similar enough to [b:A Visit from the Goon Squad|7331435|A Visit from the Goon Squad|Jennifer Egan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1290480318s/7331435.jpg|8975330] and [b:Cloud Atlas|49628|Cloud Atlas|David Mitchell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320480930s/49628.jpg|1871423] in scope and approach, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as either of those. I'll read more Murakami, but I won't revisit this one. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is probably the weirdest book I've read all year, and I loved it. It is a surreal mystery that I'm not sure if I can describe adequately, so I'll paraphrase the back blurb of the book itself... "heroically imaginative novel, which is at once a detective story, an account of a disintegrating marriage, and an excavation of the buried secrets of WWII."..."Okada encounters a bizarre group of allies and antagonists: a psychic prostitute; a malevolent yet mediagenic politician; a cheerfully morbid 16 yr old girl and an aging war veteran". What starts out as an unemployed lawyer's search for his lost cat, takes several hard turns and a u-turn or two, thru WWII Manchuria and ends up down a well. If you're an advocate of the odd, then check this one out.

9/10

S: 11/27/18 - 12/26/18 (30 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Dec 26, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Jul 2010):
- This is easily the most bizarre, hallucinogenic novel I've read.; and thankfully, enjoyed. Some chapters of this book were published earlier as short stories and inserted into the narrative. The whole book is a fractured adventure in overlapping realities and quasi-dream states., liberally stoked with loosely connected subnarratives. It's certainly ambitious.
- From this reader's perspective, I found it alternatively mesmerizing, gruesome, touching, perplexing, and simply fun.
- How to summarize? Forget it! You'll just have to read it. My hunch is to label this as magical realism, but that stamp seems reserved for the Latin writers. One reviewer, at Thenewcanon.com, described it as "a weaving together of urban realism and eerie fantasy", a style that has apparently been Murakami's trademark in all subsequent works.
[I've since read three other books by the author] ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Nov 30, 2018 |
Firstly, to read this book you must suspend everything you know about reality. Secondly, if you like lots of characters like blips on a screen (not fully developed), then this book is for you! Much of the locale are wells, both dry and with water. All of the women in this book are helpless and need saved. Many of the same character's actions are repetitive. The title? The wind up bird is an invisible bird sitting in a tree that "springs" the world. There is everything but the kitchen sink in this book: skinning of people alive, mind sex with physical ramifications, and baseball bats with human skin and hair on them. Not my cup of tea! No more Murakami for me; magic realism is not my thing. 623 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Sep 17, 2018 |
By the book's midway point, the novelist-juggler has tossed so many balls into the air that he inevitably misses a few on the way down. Visionary artists aren't always neat: who reads Kafka for his tight construction? In ''The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'' Murakami has written a bold and generous book, and one that would have lost a great deal by being tidied up.

Mr. Murakami seems to have tried to write a book with the esthetic heft and vision of, say, Don DeLillo's ''Underworld'' or Salman Rushdie's ''The Moor's Last Sigh,'' he is only intermittently successful. ''Wind-Up Bird'' has some powerful scenes of antic comedy and some shattering scenes of historical power, but such moments do not add up to a satisfying, fully fashioned novel. In trying to depict a fragmented, chaotic and ultimately unknowable world, Mr. Murakami has written a fragmentary and chaotic book.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gall,JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haughton, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta.
«Ah, così lei ama la letteratura! – mi avrebbero detto, – anch'io. Da giovane ho letto parecchio». Per loro la letteratura era qualcosa che si leggeva da giovani. Come in primavera si colgono le fragole, e in autunno si vendemmia.
«Io ho solo sedici anni, e il mondo non lo conosco ancora bene, ma una cosa sola posso affermare con sicurezza: se io sono pessimista, un adulto che non lo sia, in questo mondo, è proprio un cretino».

Toru Okada lever et yderst stilfærdigt liv med sin kone Kumiko i Japan. Han har sagt sit arbejde op og går egentlig bare hjemme og passer kat. Toru Okadas kone arbejder som redaktør på et forlag og den ene dag følger hurtigt den anden.

Lige indtil alting ændrer sig. I "Trækopfuglens krønike" kan du læse, hvordan alting falder sammen om ørene på Toru Okada, da katten og herefter konen forsvinder sporløst. Og hertil hvordan det hele bliver endnu mere forvirrende, da Toru Okada modtager mystiske opkald af mindst så mystiske mennesker.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679775439, Paperback)

Bad things come in threes for Toru Okada. He loses his job, his cat disappears, and then his wife fails to return from work. His search for his wife (and his cat) introduces him to a bizarre collection of characters, including two psychic sisters, a possibly unbalanced teenager, an old soldier who witnessed the massacres on the Chinese mainland at the beginning of the Second World War, and a very shady politician.

Haruki Murakami is a master of subtly disturbing prose. Mundane events throb with menace, while the bizarre is accepted without comment. Meaning always seems to be just out of reach, for the reader as well as for the characters, yet one is drawn inexorably into a mystery that may have no solution. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is an extended meditation on themes that appear throughout Murakami's earlier work. The tropes of popular culture, movies, music, detective stories, combine to create a work that explores both the surface and the hidden depths of Japanese society at the end of the 20th century.

If it were possible to isolate one theme in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, that theme would be responsibility. The atrocities committed by the Japanese army in China keep rising to the surface like a repressed memory, and Toru Okada himself is compelled by events to take responsibility for his actions and struggle with his essentially passive nature. If Toru is supposed to be a Japanese Everyman, steeped as he is in Western popular culture and ignorant of the secret history of his own nation, this novel paints a bleak picture. Like the winding up of the titular bird, Murakami slowly twists the gossamer threads of his story into something of considerable weight. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:47 -0400)

Having quit his job, Toru Okada is enjoying a pleasant stint as a "house husband", listening to music and arranging the dry cleaning and doing the cooking - until his cat goes missing, his wife becomes distant and begins acting strangely, and he starts meeting enigmatic people with fantastic life stories. They involve him in a world of psychics, shared dreams, out-of-body experiences, and shaman-like powers, and tell him stories from Japan's war in Manchuria, about espionage on the border with Mongolia, the battle of Nomonhan, the killing of the animals in Hsin-ching's zoo, and the fate of Japanese prisoners-of-war in the Soviet camps in Siberia.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,322,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible