Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One…

Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope (edition 2008)

by Don & Susie Van Ryn, Newell Colleen & Whitney Cerak, Mark Tabb (Contributor)

Member:rmiesner
Title:Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope
Authors:Don & Susie Van Ryn
Other authors:Newell Colleen & Whitney Cerak, Mark Tabb (Contributor)
Info:Howard Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***

Mistaken Identity by Don Van Ryn

How on earth, in this day and age with forensic scientists and DNA and dental records etc, etc, could a situation like this happen? One person gets mistaken for another. That's all I'll say because I don't want to spoil the book for you if you're planning on reading it but I just shake my head.

The mistake has far-reaching consequences for both families involved and your heart just bleeds for them. Besides the emotional component, I didn't really find the book particularly well-written and they certainly pour on the religious doctrine. I don't mind that usually if it's sincere but when it takes place in a conversation between three people, you can't help but think 'how realistic is this? I don't talk like this!'. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
This was a tear jerker, because of sadness and hope and joy. I cried for both. It still amazes me how such a mistake can be made. One of my favorite things about this book is how both families worked through each of the changes in their lives with their faith in a loving God. I would recommend this to anyone. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this. It made me realize a whole other type of book I like. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I could have easily given it a 1 star except for the fact that it was an intriguing story so I decided to give it 2 stars.
All the Bible talk got me annoyed and as someone else also mentioned, we still do not know how come they did not recognise there own daughter for 5 weeks!

Another thing I wonder about. How come Whitney has blocked the 5 weeks with the van Ryn's? So her memories after the accident only started when she finally got caught up with her family. That's quite telling. They also did not address that or what this mix up will have done to Whitney's healing process. I think more than 1/3rd if not half is talk about religion. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Van Ryn, Donprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Colleenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Newellmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Whitneymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Ryn, Susiemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tabb, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743577035, Audio CD)

The stunning true story of two families trading places from graveside to bedside.

Five lives were lost in a tragic accident involving a Taylor University van, and one young woman, severely injured and comatose, was rushed to the hospital. Families, faculty, students, and communities grieved their losses and joined in prayer and hope as the one young woman, Laura Van Ryn, fought for her life in a hospital bed. The national news spread the story, and people everywhere shared the grief and the hope.

Five weeks passed for the Cerak family. Believing they had buried their daughter, the Ceraks clung to their faith and worshipped God through their tears, learning to look forward with hope to an eternal reunion with their lovely daughter Whitney. They spent weeks in mourning and grief, slowly moving toward healing.

Five weeks passed for the Van Ryns. Keeping a constant bedside vigil over their precious daughter Laura, they sat and prayed and hoped. They rejoiced at each tiny advance toward recovery. They celebrated each sign of Laura's healing.

And then the shock! "Okay, Laura, I would like you to write your name for me," the occupationaltherapist said. W-H-I-T-N-E-Y.

An event that could be seen as pure tragedy becomes a celebration of life's unfathomable gifts and mysteries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

Describes the devasting accident and case of mistaken identity that left one family grieving for the young woman they thought was their daughter while the wrong family cared for the lone survivor, and describes the healing journey of survivor Whitney Cerak.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,344,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible