Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One…

Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope (edition 2008)

by Don & Susie Van Ryn, Mark Tabb (Contributor), Newell Colleen & Whitney Cerak

Member:rmiesner
Title:Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope
Authors:Don & Susie Van Ryn
Other authors:Mark Tabb (Contributor), Newell Colleen & Whitney Cerak
Info:Howard Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***

Mistaken Identity by Don Van Ryn

This was a tear jerker, because of sadness and hope and joy. I cried for both. It still amazes me how such a mistake can be made. One of my favorite things about this book is how both families worked through each of the changes in their lives with their faith in a loving God. I would recommend this to anyone. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this. It made me realize a whole other type of book I like. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I could have easily given it a 1 star except for the fact that it was an intriguing story so I decided to give it 2 stars.
All the Bible talk got me annoyed and as someone else also mentioned, we still do not know how come they did not recognise there own daughter for 5 weeks!

Another thing I wonder about. How come Whitney has blocked the 5 weeks with the van Ryn's? So her memories after the accident only started when she finally got caught up with her family. That's quite telling. They also did not address that or what this mix up will have done to Whitney's healing process. I think more than 1/3rd if not half is talk about religion. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
It took me a couple of hours to read this book where the central question was never answered. Two girls from good Christian families (much is made of this, but I can't see how the book would have been any different - other than thinner - if they'd been atheists) were in a car crash. One was killed and buried without her parents ever seeing her presumably-mangled body. The other lived but was in a coma. The two girls were the same age, both blue-eyed blonde types and from the pictures, quite similar-looking. There was even a picture of the girl in the hospital in a cervical collar with her hair scraped back showing her uninjured face very clearly. So the central question is, how come for five weeks the family sitting with the girl never realised it wasn't their daughter? The girl tried to tell them as soon as she could! Unless they were identical twins, this had to be people deceiving themselves, but who knows? That is the only point of the book and it is never addressed. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |

Van Ryn, Donprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Colleenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Newellmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cerak, Whitneymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Ryn, Susiemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tabb, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743577035, Audio CD)

The stunning true story of two families trading places from graveside to bedside.

Five lives were lost in a tragic accident involving a Taylor University van, and one young woman, severely injured and comatose, was rushed to the hospital. Families, faculty, students, and communities grieved their losses and joined in prayer and hope as the one young woman, Laura Van Ryn, fought for her life in a hospital bed. The national news spread the story, and people everywhere shared the grief and the hope.

Five weeks passed for the Cerak family. Believing they had buried their daughter, the Ceraks clung to their faith and worshipped God through their tears, learning to look forward with hope to an eternal reunion with their lovely daughter Whitney. They spent weeks in mourning and grief, slowly moving toward healing.

Five weeks passed for the Van Ryns. Keeping a constant bedside vigil over their precious daughter Laura, they sat and prayed and hoped. They rejoiced at each tiny advance toward recovery. They celebrated each sign of Laura's healing.

And then the shock! "Okay, Laura, I would like you to write your name for me," the occupationaltherapist said. W-H-I-T-N-E-Y.

An event that could be seen as pure tragedy becomes a celebration of life's unfathomable gifts and mysteries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

Describes the devasting accident and case of mistaken identity that left one family grieving for the young woman they thought was their daughter while the wrong family cared for the lone survivor, and describes the healing journey of survivor Whitney Cerak.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,359,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible