Phantom by Susan Kay

Phantom (1991)

by Susan Kay

English (20)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Not a perfect book, but one I have loved for a long time. ( )
  thessaly | Oct 21, 2011 |
I love Phantom of the Opera. I'm completely obsessed with it. However, unlike most of the Phantom fans I know, this book really didn't do that much for me - it's not that good - in the end, all I cared about in this story were the animals.

First, I really did enjoy it. It held my attention well enough. But I found that there was something in it that was just *missing* - I think it may be the writing itself. It's not particularly well-written. It didn't make me cry or laugh or yell.

At points in the story, it was as if the author was forcing out needless drama. I won't go into detail about this in case of spoilers, but it has to do with the elements in certain scenes that didn't necessarily need to be there, and endless quotes that seem more like cliches than anything else.

The only reason I read this book was because so many people rave over it, but I guess they just see something I don't. Writing about Erik's past is a clever idea, but the book itself doesn't live up to that idea. Nice try, though. ( )
  ioet | Jun 11, 2011 |
This is my favorite book in the world. The writing and story are fantastic and gives a new twist on the old story! ( )
  avhacker | Dec 9, 2010 |
Loved the retelling format used by this author.Book divided into 3 main chapters pov of the 3 main characters. ( )
  LHThomas | Oct 17, 2010 |
Just okay. You really feel bad for Erik (the phantom) as he was so twisted by his childhood. Other than that, just okay. ( )
1 vote bookwormteri | Dec 13, 2009 |
None of us can choose where we will love.... -Erik
For Norman and Judy, who believed.
It was a breech birth; and so, right up to the very last moment of innocent ignorance, I remained aware of the midwife's boisterous, bawdy encourangement.

A child is born... His  mother's only gift is a mask. Precocious and  gifted, he will live friendless and alone. taunted and  abused, he will flee, only to find himself caged  again-as a freak in a Gypsy carnival. A brilliant  outcast... the world is his home. Filled with  bitter rage, he will kill to escape, becoming a  stonemason's apprentice in Rome... a dark magician at  the treacherous Persian court... and finally, the  genius behind the construction of the Paris Opera  House and the labyrinthine world below. Lacking  one thing only: A woman's love. Cloaked in secrets,  his power complete, he will see the exquisite  Christine and for the first time know what it means to  love. Obsessed, he will bring her into his eerie  subterranean world, driven to posses her heart and  soul. Phantom--A haunting  story of power and darkness, of magic and murder, of  sensuality and betrayal, and ultimately, the  unforgettable story of a man and a woman and the eternal  quality of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible