World War Hulk by Greg Pak
Recently added byjmgold, rickklaw, MRN, chartuck, SESchend, jvalka, Ashlad, PegD, blstevens
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

The events preceding this I wasn't familiar with, but it didn't take too long to get up to speed. A fun romp with some more serious undertones regarding the nature of revenge, bitterness, & non resolution of trauma. Essentially a series of battles, with some interesting interludes where there is some more character driven interaction. Dr Strange fans will enjoy this, as will Hulk & Iron Man fans. Good but not outstanding art. Fun, but no cigar. More dialogue would have been more involving. ( )
  aadyer | Dec 24, 2014 |
I’m not sure what compelled me to buy this since the reviews all pretty much sum it up as: Hulk beats up every hero until someone calms him down. They weren't wrong. I guess I was hoping there’d be something in here, some mea culpa from the four men responsible for shipping him off into space. And while there was a reckoning of sorts, there were too many incongruities for the story to work.

The book is mainly just a sequence of battles until the Sentry swoops in and the two battle until both of them, inexplicably, calm down. I might have enjoyed this more as a Hulk story if it hadn't had so much inconsistency. Hulk arrives to take revenge on those that shot him into space - to a planet where he got married and was about to become a father. The Hulk. Giant green rage monster. How the hell did he marry and father a child when, if he’s not angry, he should be Banner? Plus, he’s pretty articulate and clear-minded for supposedly being “angrier than he’s ever been” when he does come to Earth. This doesn't match with what I know of the Hulk, and how the heroes talk about him in this very collection. How dangerous can he be to Earth if he’s capable of settling down to marriage? I don’t follow the Hulk series, which is probably why this didn't work for me.

Overall, I would only recommend this to fans of the Hulk who read his various series. ( )
  jshillingford | May 23, 2014 |
Essentially just a great big excuse for maximum amounts of Hulk Smash action. Not particularly deep but great fun. ( )
  JonArnold | Jan 23, 2014 |
This seems like the kind of event series where so much is happening in side issues of other series that you have to buy a lot of extra comics to get the full story. There needed to be more Hulk and less other people. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Although I really enjoyed Planet Hulk, this was just a mediocre follow-up to that storyline. It was pretty much the typical "Hulk angry, Hulk smash" plot, this time centered in Manhattan. He's upset with the Illuminati, which has members in most of the big Marvel groups (Fantastic Four, the Avengers, the Inhumans, etc). So Hulk's determined to wipe them out, along with New York City. He does a fairly good job at it, too.

There's a revelation made at the end of the book, but even that little twist wasn't enough to make the story very interesting. Although an okay way to spend an afternoon, World War Hulk, like most Marvel "super events," isn't going to stick with me. ( )
  schatzi | Feb 12, 2011 |

An epic story of anger unbound! Exiled by a group of Marvel "heroes" to the savage alien planet of Sakaar, the Hulk raged, bled, and conquered through the pages of last year's "Planet Hulk" epic, rising from slave to gladiator to king. Now the Hulk returns to Earth to wreak his terrible vengeance on Iron Man, Reed Richards, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt - and anyone else who gets in the way! Stronger than ever, accompanied by his monstrous Warbound gladiator allies, and possessed by the fiercest and purest rage imaginable, the Hulk may just tear this stupid planet in half! Collects World War Hulk #1-5.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible