Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist
    Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle (kaydern)
    kaydern: Awesome female lead character, similar genre.
    The Man of Gold by M. A. R. Barker (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Feist and Wurts' setting of Kelewan is highly derivative of Barker's Tekumel; fans of the original looking for more may enjoy the Empire trilogy and fans of the Empire trilogy interested in the source material may enjoy the Tekumel books.

English (25)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
I received this book as a Christmas present and have saved it until summer. Feist writes books that move me. They captivate my attention and I find them hard to put down. The Empire Trilogy finds us in the world that is linked to Midkemia in which Feist introduced us to Pug and his friends and the world of magic that Pug grows into as the battles grow between these two worlds magically linked by a rift that allows passage back and forth.
Daughter of the Empire begins with the central character, Mara, about to be irrevocably admitted to the Temple as a sister when military men under her father's orders come to return her to her home. Both her father and brother, the only surviving members of her family have been killed in battle and she must assume the leadership of her Clan, the Acoma.
The world of Kelewan, more precisely, the nation of Tsuranuanni is a society based on concepts of honour and of obedience to the will of the gods.
Although Mara, only 17 years old, has now become the Ruling Lady of a very high ranking family, she is aware that intrigue has led to the deaths of her father and brother and that the powerful War Lord of the Tsurani people would like nothing more than to finish the job of ending the history of the Acoma. Mara must learn how to play the "Great Game of the Council" quickly and well if she is to have any hope at all of living!
Mara does survive through to the end of the triology but, in the process becomes my favorite female character of all time...OK, one of my favorite female characters (How can I turn my back on Anne of Green Gables?) Mara is by turns tough, resourceful, willful, ingenious, dedicated and focused.
In this first book she must counter the evil intent of the Lord of the Minwanabi by building the strength of the Acoma both militarily and economically. Mara gains the protection of another family by marriage and thereby giving up her role as Ruling Lady to her new husband. But she must regain the upper hand if she is to survive Buntokapi's brutality and to protect the heir that must be born to continue the Acoma's future.
Multiplied twists and turns, mistakes and miscalculations must be remedied while, all the might and trickery of the Minwanabi comes to play against her and her family.
  thedenathome | Aug 8, 2014 |
I might have been spoiled by starting my adventures in fantasy with George R R Martin and Robin Hobb, but I had to give up on this after gamely managing 268 pages. I found it hard to care about any of the characters or the slow-moving plot, and the many printing errors in my edition was just plain frustrating. The constant references to Mara as a 'young girl' who somehow has political and military wisdom beyond her years also led to much eye-rolling. I feel bad for not having favourable feelings about a SantaThing gift but I honestly just couldn't get on with it. Perhaps it would have been different if this wasn't my introduction to Feist's work. ( )
  mooingzelda | Mar 4, 2014 |
Good, but not great. Feist’s Riftwar series was one of my first fantast reads, so it holds a special place in my heart. I expected to like the Empire series just as much, but found myself slightly disappointed.. I mean it is good, it’s an enjoyable story... It was just a little more work to read it than it ever was with Empire. Not that it was a difficult read, don’t get me wrong. I was just so used to Feist being sort of a popcorn read; easy to settle into and get absorbed in, and in general a quick read. This took me a lot longer to get into, and it never really felt like a quick read. It sort of felt like work. But still, I did enjoy the story enough to give it three stars (it’s actually closer to 3.5), and also to continue on in the series. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
Japanese-style military/political machinations. Better than I expected. ( )
  SChant | Apr 26, 2013 |
I could never see myself becoming a Mara, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading of her struggles and setbacks, her uncanny ability to turn even the most desperate tragedy into a resounding triumph. Daughter of Empire occurs on Kelewan, the home world of the Tsuranuanni, the flip-side of the coin that embodies the Riftwar Saga (as told mostly from Midkemia through Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon).

Despite a near complete lack of traditional fantasy elements, this novel delivers an astonishing number of surprises, twists, intrigues and gambles. The rich world of Kelewan and the culture and heritage that is the Tsuranuanni Empire infuse all aspects of the reading experience. Mara's journey from virginal novitiate to one of the twenty gods of the Tsuranuanni to ruthless Ruling Lady of one of the oldest Houses in the Empire steeped us in her gut-wrenching grief, unflinching resolve through spousal abuse and sweet relief through each successful gambit in the Game of the Council.

I plan to continue reading the rest of the Empire Trilogy and highly recommend this first installment in that series.

For more discussions of Daughter of Empire, led by one of the authors, Janny Wurts, and including a Q&A thread with Raymond E. Feist, follow this link. ( )
  mossjon | Apr 1, 2013 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat men maar niet wil inzien, is dat fantasy de schatkamer is van alles wat de mens in de loop der eeuwen aan dromen, verhalen, mythen, sagen en sprookjes heeft verzameld. En dat is niet niks, dat is een geestelijk erfgoed dat gekoesterd dient te worden. Elke tijd voegt daar nieuwe elementen aan toe en zo ontstaat een reusachtig, laten we zeggen 'bezinksel' dat het onderbewuste van de mens van nu van kleur voorziet, dat hoop en vertrouwen in de toekomst geeft. - Raymond E. Feist
This book is dedicated to Harold Matson with deep appreciation, respect and affection.
The priest struck the gong.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327211X, Mass Market Paperback)

Magic and murder engulf the realm of Kelewan.  Fierce warlords ignite a bitter blood feud to enslave the empire of Tsuranuanni.  While in the opulent Imperial courts, assassins and spy-master plot cunning and devious intrigues against the rightful heir.  Now Mara, a young, untested Ruling lady, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic struggle for survival.  But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja, and marry the son of a hated enemy.  Only then can Mara face her most dangerous foe of all--in his own impregnable stronghold.  An epic tale of adventure and intrigue.  Daughter of the Empire is fantasy of the highest order by two of the most talented writers in the field today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:57 -0400)

Mara, a young, untested Ruling Lady of Kelewan, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic stuggle for survival. But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja and marry the son of a hated enemy. Queen Mara of Acoma vows to avenge the deaths of her brother and father, even if it means killing her own husband.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible