Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist
Recently added byshantedze, katsoocam, mjcherbert, lomgren, gurpsgm, Murphyslawyer, Gluon, gmrasp, private library
    Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle (kaydern)
    kaydern: Awesome female lead character, similar genre.
    The Man of Gold by M. A. R. Barker (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Feist and Wurts' setting of Kelewan is highly derivative of Barker's Tekumel; fans of the original looking for more may enjoy the Empire trilogy and fans of the Empire trilogy interested in the source material may enjoy the Tekumel books.

English (27)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
[a:Raymond E. Feist|8588|Raymond E. Feist|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1190654917p2/8588.jpg], author of the quite lengthy Riftwar Cycle series (30 novels and 3 short stories in length), wasn’t my favorite author as a teen. In fact, I stopped reading the Riftwar Cycle somewhere around book 9, Shadow of a Dark Queen. But I loved Magician (which I talked about in a previous flashback), and more than that, I really loved The Empire Trilogy.

I think what gelled most with me about the trilogy is that the main character, Mara, rises to power in a patriarchal society based strongly on the Japanese empires of old. Society sees Mara as a weak female, subservient and docile in nature. Someone to be married off to a man who beats her and keeps her with child. She could give in to this, but instead, chooses to bend tradition, plot, and scheme to take over the Empire. (Reminds me a bit of a Japanese Xena. Wait, I think Xena was in Japan somewhere in her timeline… ;) )

I really liked that this wasn't another book about a male protagonist who saves the day.
Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
Mara is swept into the Game of Councils as the Lady of Acoma when her father and brother are killed in a plot of her greatest enemies, the Minwanabi. As a young girl, she has to learn quickly to avoid death and humiliation. There are assassinations and plots and honor to uphold, she must learn it all. And of course, learn how to play the Game.

The book opens very slowly. The reader is slogged down with descriptions and passive spoon-feeding about the characters, the plot, and the world. It's all very time-consuming, lengthy, and really not that interesting. But it picks up after Mara is ushered into the role of Lady of Acoma.

At first I found myself going "yeah! This girl knows what's up". Instead of letting things happen, she manages to grab opportunities and take risks. But somewhere after the third time this happens, I'm getting a little frustrated.

I really don't like this world. That is my conclusion. Men find it so easy to die for honor here. Oh, Bunto said a couple of words in anger that no one heard? Kill him for honor! Another man puts his household into debt? Kill him! Someone saves you on sacred ground? Let me die in honor! Ahhh I can't stand it. Does this book not treat death with true significance?

Even the way the "Game" is played makes this whole book very callous. Every single character in this book is cold-hearted and dismissive of inherent humanity. Honor is more important than life, staying in the Game is more important than family. And Mara is no exception. Her whole "goal" for this book is vengeance because her father and brother died. But instead of getting revenge and solving it like so, she kills so many other people in the same way. How can she be angry at the Minwanabi if she has essentially trapped other families into killing their own kin the same way? She is just like them. She has no moral ground to stand on. And it wasn't as if it there was a "descent into darkness" either. It was made on rational decisions for the good of her and Acoma. So what, I must conclude that at the heart of her is a cold and ruthless woman.

So why then should I root for her? The only reason I might is because she is the protagonist and I guess also the underdog. But as a character, she does not have my sympathy. At all. Especially since she is initially presented as a girl filled with deep passion for justice and revenge. Her revenge is so slight. It's not to see them dead, just gone from the game.

Essentially, this world doesn't make sense to me. The excessive honor over death mentality, the way the Game is more important than family or one's own life, etc.
I mean, come on. Also such flimsy plot mechanics by Mara - oh let me repeat a couple of words Bunto said and of course they'll take it as a killing offense. Or seeing someone murder your son and then helping them as an ally. I don't get it. I really don't. Pretty words are not enough to mitigate that. It's too flimsy for me to buy.

This book also felt very sexist. Like stereotypical gender roles were in place, despite Mara supposedly being a strong woman. Like the idea that men are lead around by their dicks and lose their mind after seeing a bit of boobage. Or the way Mara easily turns towards her sex appeal to gain advantage. Ugh.

I thought this book was strong enough on its own merits. There was definitely cohesive plot and a semi-clear goal. Characters had their own voice. The world was totally not fleshed out, but was interesting enough that you're intrigued. I don't really know what merits it over 4 stars on goodreads, but I can see why some people like it.

But it's really not for me. I don't really like Mara and I don't really care for this world. It was okay and I didn't have any trouble finishing the book. Good pacing and all that. But not a feel-good book either.

2.5 stars rounded down. It was okay.
Recommended for people who are not looking for happy endings or protagonists they want to empathize with. Recommended for those who want a story about fake machinations. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I received this book as a Christmas present and have saved it until summer. Feist writes books that move me. They captivate my attention and I find them hard to put down. The Empire Trilogy finds us in the world that is linked to Midkemia in which Feist introduced us to Pug and his friends and the world of magic that Pug grows into as the battles grow between these two worlds magically linked by a rift that allows passage back and forth.
Daughter of the Empire begins with the central character, Mara, about to be irrevocably admitted to the Temple as a sister when military men under her father's orders come to return her to her home. Both her father and brother, the only surviving members of her family have been killed in battle and she must assume the leadership of her Clan, the Acoma.
The world of Kelewan, more precisely, the nation of Tsuranuanni is a society based on concepts of honour and of obedience to the will of the gods.
Although Mara, only 17 years old, has now become the Ruling Lady of a very high ranking family, she is aware that intrigue has led to the deaths of her father and brother and that the powerful War Lord of the Tsurani people would like nothing more than to finish the job of ending the history of the Acoma. Mara must learn how to play the "Great Game of the Council" quickly and well if she is to have any hope at all of living!
Mara does survive through to the end of the triology but, in the process becomes my favorite female character of all time...OK, one of my favorite female characters (How can I turn my back on Anne of Green Gables?) Mara is by turns tough, resourceful, willful, ingenious, dedicated and focused.
In this first book she must counter the evil intent of the Lord of the Minwanabi by building the strength of the Acoma both militarily and economically. Mara gains the protection of another family by marriage and thereby giving up her role as Ruling Lady to her new husband. But she must regain the upper hand if she is to survive Buntokapi's brutality and to protect the heir that must be born to continue the Acoma's future.
Multiplied twists and turns, mistakes and miscalculations must be remedied while, all the might and trickery of the Minwanabi comes to play against her and her family.
  thedenathome | Aug 8, 2014 |
I might have been spoiled by starting my adventures in fantasy with George R R Martin and Robin Hobb, but I had to give up on this after gamely managing 268 pages. I found it hard to care about any of the characters or the slow-moving plot, and the many printing errors in my edition was just plain frustrating. The constant references to Mara as a 'young girl' who somehow has political and military wisdom beyond her years also led to much eye-rolling. I feel bad for not having favourable feelings about a SantaThing gift but I honestly just couldn't get on with it. Perhaps it would have been different if this wasn't my introduction to Feist's work. ( )
  mooingzelda | Mar 4, 2014 |
Good, but not great. Feist’s Riftwar series was one of my first fantast reads, so it holds a special place in my heart. I expected to like the Empire series just as much, but found myself slightly disappointed.. I mean it is good, it’s an enjoyable story... It was just a little more work to read it than it ever was with Empire. Not that it was a difficult read, don’t get me wrong. I was just so used to Feist being sort of a popcorn read; easy to settle into and get absorbed in, and in general a quick read. This took me a lot longer to get into, and it never really felt like a quick read. It sort of felt like work. But still, I did enjoy the story enough to give it three stars (it’s actually closer to 3.5), and also to continue on in the series. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat men maar niet wil inzien, is dat fantasy de schatkamer is van alles wat de mens in de loop der eeuwen aan dromen, verhalen, mythen, sagen en sprookjes heeft verzameld. En dat is niet niks, dat is een geestelijk erfgoed dat gekoesterd dient te worden. Elke tijd voegt daar nieuwe elementen aan toe en zo ontstaat een reusachtig, laten we zeggen 'bezinksel' dat het onderbewuste van de mens van nu van kleur voorziet, dat hoop en vertrouwen in de toekomst geeft. - Raymond E. Feist
This book is dedicated to Harold Matson with deep appreciation, respect and affection.
The priest struck the gong.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327211X, Mass Market Paperback)

Magic and murder engulf the realm of Kelewan.  Fierce warlords ignite a bitter blood feud to enslave the empire of Tsuranuanni.  While in the opulent Imperial courts, assassins and spy-master plot cunning and devious intrigues against the rightful heir.  Now Mara, a young, untested Ruling lady, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic struggle for survival.  But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja, and marry the son of a hated enemy.  Only then can Mara face her most dangerous foe of all--in his own impregnable stronghold.  An epic tale of adventure and intrigue.  Daughter of the Empire is fantasy of the highest order by two of the most talented writers in the field today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:57 -0400)

Mara, a young, untested Ruling Lady of Kelewan, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic stuggle for survival. But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja and marry the son of a hated enemy. Queen Mara of Acoma vows to avenge the deaths of her brother and father, even if it means killing her own husband.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible