Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist
    The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemisin (hindins)
    hindins: Another strong young female character, diplomacy and intrigue, amazing world-building and a non-european culture.
    Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle (kaydern)
    kaydern: Awesome female lead character, similar genre.
    The Man of Gold by M. A. R. Barker (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Feist and Wurts' setting of Kelewan is highly derivative of Barker's Tekumel; fans of the original looking for more may enjoy the Empire trilogy and fans of the Empire trilogy interested in the source material may enjoy the Tekumel books.

English (34)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (39)
Technically this is part of the Midkemia/Rift War series but rather being set on that rather more familiar world we find ourselves on the world of Kelewan home of the inscrutable Tsurani. 'Jointly' written by Feist and Wurtz, I have a feeling that most of the background and the characterisation belongs to Wurtz.

The story opens as the lady Mara is about to be ordained as a Sister of Lashima but just as she's about to be sealed to goddess's service the service is interrupted by a squad of her house soldiers as she is informed of the death of her father and brother along with most of the rest of House Acoma's forces, lost in combat on Midkemia. Taken home to reluctantly take up her duties as Ruling Lady, Mara is introduced to the dangers facing her when an assassin attacks her in the Acoma's sacred grove. Saved by one of her loyal guards, Mara is faced by her first test as the loyal soldier had, by tradition, to die. But Mara finds a way to satisfy tradition while keeping her man alive. Over the next few years, Mara continues to bend tradition as far as she can to keep her house alive but when her actions lead to the death of a husband married only for political expediency Mara realises that survival of her House must mean more than just its physical survival ( )
  JohnFair | Dec 14, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading it. A female-centered fantasy set in a hierarchical society steeped in tradition and rigid codes of honour.The lead character Mara finds herself on the verge of the ruin of her house and the continuance of her house depends upon her holding her own and triumphing in the politics of the great houses. The first quarter of the book is quite predictable but it gets better. ( )
  kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |
This series is one of my favorites. I remember not being able to put it down and missing my train stop when I first read it. Highly recommended. Something about the combination of these authors' writing was amazing. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
For my Year of Feist. I was having a hard time remembering this book, but early into it I realized that was because I had never read it, or never read very far. I thought I had, and it presented the same challenges I do remember...but this time I persevered. Moving on to the second in the Empire sub-series... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
FANTASTIC! I was expecting a trilogy about the Keshian Empire on Midkemia. Instead, we get a novel about Kelewan. How cool is that? Anyway, a family is betrayed, all members killed in battle on Midkemia, except one 16 year old girl. She becomes the head of her house, which is down to under 40 warriors, and has to play the Game of the Council to survive. It was written very well, with characters being alive and real and each success, or defeat, made you want to shout or groan. I think this is a great trilogy to stand by the Riftwar Saga. Characterizations, machinations, world building, all were done superbly and I look forward greatly [!:] to the next 2 novels. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wurts, JannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat men maar niet wil inzien, is dat fantasy de schatkamer is van alles wat de mens in de loop der eeuwen aan dromen, verhalen, mythen, sagen en sprookjes heeft verzameld. En dat is niet niks, dat is een geestelijk erfgoed dat gekoesterd dient te worden. Elke tijd voegt daar nieuwe elementen aan toe en zo ontstaat een reusachtig, laten we zeggen 'bezinksel' dat het onderbewuste van de mens van nu van kleur voorziet, dat hoop en vertrouwen in de toekomst geeft. - Raymond E. Feist
This book is dedicated to Harold Matson with deep appreciation, respect and affection.
The priest struck the gong.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327211X, Mass Market Paperback)

Magic and murder engulf the realm of Kelewan.  Fierce warlords ignite a bitter blood feud to enslave the empire of Tsuranuanni.  While in the opulent Imperial courts, assassins and spy-master plot cunning and devious intrigues against the rightful heir.  Now Mara, a young, untested Ruling lady, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic struggle for survival.  But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja, and marry the son of a hated enemy.  Only then can Mara face her most dangerous foe of all--in his own impregnable stronghold.  An epic tale of adventure and intrigue.  Daughter of the Empire is fantasy of the highest order by two of the most talented writers in the field today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

Mara, a young, untested Ruling Lady of Kelewan, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic stuggle for survival. But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja and marry the son of a hated enemy. Queen Mara of Acoma vows to avenge the deaths of her brother and father, even if it means killing her own husband.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,630,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible