Daughter of the Empire: An Epic Saga of the…

Daughter of the Empire: An Epic Saga of the World on the Other Side of the… (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Raymond E. Feist (Author), Janny Wurts (Author)

Mara, a young, untested Ruling Lady of Kelewan, is called upon to lead her people in a heroic stuggle for survival. But first she must rally an army of rebel warriors, form a pact with the alien cho-ja and marry the son of a hated enemy. Queen Mara of Acoma vows to avenge the deaths of her brother and father, even if it means killing her own husband.… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:Daughter of the Empire: An Epic Saga of the World on the Other Side of the Riftwar (Riftwar Cycle: The Empire Trilogy)
Authors:Raymond E. Feist (Author)
Other authors:Janny Wurts (Author)
Info:Spectra (1988), 421 pages
Tags:to-read, fantasy

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist (Author) (1987)

The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemisin (hindins)
    hindins: Another strong young female character, diplomacy and intrigue, amazing world-building and a non-european culture.
    Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle (kaydern)
    kaydern: Awesome female lead character, similar genre.
    The Man of Gold by M. A. R. Barker (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Feist and Wurts' setting of Kelewan is highly derivative of Barker's Tekumel; fans of the original looking for more may enjoy the Empire trilogy and fans of the Empire trilogy interested in the source material may enjoy the Tekumel books.

English (46)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
Trip down memory lane ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
Having re-read the first four books in the Riftwar series, I'm FINALLY going to continue on with the full series in the order recommended.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical about the collaboration because I was already a fan of Feist and simply wanted all the cool craziness and awesome ideas breaching time and space and two universes in his epic fantasy setup. :)

Moving on... this isn't that. It IS set on the world where Pug learned his mastery of magic, but beyond that and the focus on Korean-ish politics and The Game between houses, there's not any magic to speak of.

Mara is our focus, inheriting and learning to defend her house and its lands after her father dies. From start to finish, it's all about playing The Game. Survival by way of alliances, treachery, honor, and politics.

For what it is, namely a fantasy showcasing the rise of a single woman in an alien empire, letting us grow with her in the process, how she gains alliances, gains and loses a husband, and survives debts, and the matter of a blood feud. Pretty cool, all told, but I should mention one thing...

Even tho this came out many years ago, there have been MANY authors to follow in this particular footstep, and I'm pretty sure that this duo was not the first. If I had to rate some scenes between, say, Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight books and this, I would have to point to Sanderson... BUT, some awesome scenes first showed up in Daughter of the Empire. Just saying.

I may not love this nearly as much as I enjoyed the first four books, but I definitely enjoyed myself reading this. Mara is a strong female character dominating a tale back when it was still a rarity. :)

I'll be devouring two more of these in the trilogy in a few days. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Still great. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
Enjoyable pace, interesting characters and story line. ( )
  pikaia280 | Mar 22, 2020 |
Really enjoyed this story of a young woman thrown into the deep end and how she manages not just to survive but thrive. I've returned to it multiple times over the years and it always holds up. ( )
  JessMahler | Jan 9, 2020 |

Feist, Raymond E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurts, JannyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodrigues, TaniaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wurts, JannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat men maar niet wil inzien, is dat fantasy de schatkamer is van alles wat de mens in de loop der eeuwen aan dromen, verhalen, mythen, sagen en sprookjes heeft verzameld. En dat is niet niks, dat is een geestelijk erfgoed dat gekoesterd dient te worden. Elke tijd voegt daar nieuwe elementen aan toe en zo ontstaat een reusachtig, laten we zeggen 'bezinksel' dat het onderbewuste van de mens van nu van kleur voorziet, dat hoop en vertrouwen in de toekomst geeft. - Raymond E. Feist
This book is dedicated to Harold Matson with deep appreciation, respect and affection.
The priest struck the gong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,910,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible