Juxtaposition by Piers Anthony

Juxtaposition (original 1982; edition 1983)

by Piers Anthony

Member:justjim
Title:Juxtaposition
Authors:Piers Anthony
Info:Grafton (1983), Paperback, 415 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Tags:Science fiction, Fantasy

Juxtaposition by Piers Anthony (1982)

The third in the series finally separates the two worlds. There is one item that truly irritated me throughout Juxtaposition. In the other novels it is quite secret that Stiles can shift between the two worlds, but in the third everybody and his brother knows all the details of Stiles journey back and forth. If it wasn't for Anthony's excellent action writing and creative game elements, I probably would have tossed it aside. It still amazes me this series hasn't been done in at least film or Anime format. ( )
  revslick | Apr 25, 2013 |
Juxaposition is definitely the best of the initial trilogy. The pace is very fast, with satisfying, significant events happening regularly. Stile-as-Citizen is delightful - some of the gambling scenes are better than any of the previous Game scenes. And while Stile's rigid morality gets tiresome, it is, at least, internally consistent, and the deux ex machina that insures everyone gets a happy ending is better than marginally plausible.

The rampant sexism gets no better - Stile still has every woman he meets drooling after him, to ridiculous lengths, and while Sheen at least has better things to do for most of the book than swoon, she does manage to work in some significant swooning in her spare moments. The Citizens' culture seems about as patriarchal as it gets - the women go for medical/surgical beauty improvements while the men are content to be fat slobs, which would only be mildly eyebrow-raise-worthy if it wasn't explained as "The vanity of women caused them to go this route." In a book describing a male-gaze paradise, that was almost enough to cause me to throw the book across the room.

This was originally the end of the trilogy, and it's a perfectly good end, for what it is - the additional four books are definitely only for the faithful. I loved these when I was a kid, but man, I'm not sure I can even justify the shelf space for them any more. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
On the planet Proton, science works and magic doesn't, but juxtaposed with this world is another frame, that of Phaze, where magic works, but science doesn't. This is powered by a mineral called Protonite or Phazite depending on which frame you are in, and the Protonite mining of it is endangering the balance of both frames. Stile has been prophesied to ameliorate this destruction, but many powerful people in both frames are out to stop him, denying the destabilization and wanting to maintain their present status. What Stile must accomplish, jumping back and forth between frames, is enough work for ten men. How he manages it all will keep the reader on the edge of his or her seat throughout.
Anthony is not content to state a premise of this complexity without asking the difficult questions. Many authors would rely on a statement like "magic works" without feeling it necessary to explain. Anthony's world, and it's backstory, contain logical explanations for the fantastic occurrences therein. World-building does not come at the expense of characters, either. Stile's honor, incorruptibility, and personal development have converged to make him uniquely qualified for his task. Sheen the self-aware robot struggles with her inability to be "real" and her desire to be loved. Even more secondary characters such as Clef, Merle, and Trool have their own internal conflicts and personal evolving to do.
I really can't recommend this series enough, particularly if you can't decide whether you prefer science fiction to fantasy. There is quite enough of both to satisfy you. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 30, 2012 |
ADEPT
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
3rd volume in the split infinity series. I have engoyed all of this series and it is a shame to be gettin grid of my copy. The series which seemed so good when I was younger seems not to have growen with me ( )
  jessicariddoch | Apr 28, 2010 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I could give you some sleepfog," the lady robot said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345349342, Mass Market Paperback)

Stile had problems on two different worlds. On Proton he was threatened with murder, and on Phaze, an alternate world ruled by magic, he had to master magic, fight a dragon, win the friendship of a lady unicorn, locate his enemy among the paranoid Adepts and return out of Phaze to win the Great Games on Proton. After that, he was ready to face the real problems!
THE APPRENTICE ADEPT
Book OneSPLIT INFINITY
Book TwoBLUE ADEPT
BookThreeJUXTAPOSITION

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:02 -0400)

Stile had problems--two whole worlds of problems.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible