Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar…

Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Raymond E. Feist

Series: The Riftwar Legacy (Book 3), The Riftwar Cycle, Chronological Order (The Riftwar Legacy, Book 3), Die Spaltkrieg-Saga (15), The Riftwar Cycle, Alternate Reading Order (Riftwar Legacy, Book 3), The Riftwar Cycle, Publication Order (The Riftwar Legacy, Book 3)

Return now to a kingdom in constant peril; a land magical, scarred, and wondrous, where great heroes rise up from adversity to battle fearsome enemies who covet the riches within its borders. New York Times bestselling author Raymond E. Feist -- one of the world 's preeminent fantasists -- continues his extraordinary Riftwar Legacy with a sweeping tale of conflict, trial, and grim necessity, as the forces of good join together to staunch the golden lifeblood flowing from the pierced heart of Midkemia.The vile sorcerer Sidi plans to strike the kingdom a fatal blow, setting his creature, the murderous pirate Bear, upon the high seas in pursuit of the vessel that is transporting Midkemia's most holy object: the Tear of the Gods. It is from this miraculous stone that all magic power is believed to flow. And if the Tear becomes the mage's trinket, the future will hold naught but terror, death, and unending night.For Squire James, Lieutenant William, and the able magician Jazhara, the race is on to rescue the remarkable artifact from the bloodthirsty, unpredictable Bear and his despicable master who would use it to bring catastrophe down upon the world. But it will take greater-than-human swiftness. cunning, courage, and skill for the three to prevail. And the flight of her most peerless defenders will leave Krondor more vulnerable than ever to the terrible ambitions of the depraved.For the mysterious criminal known as the Crawler is preparing to wreak bloody havoc to fulfill his dastardly secret agenda. Once again the sewers of Krondor teem with assassins and monsters as the hour of destiny nears. The fate of an imperiled world is in flux, as all manner of dark creatures are gathered for one unspeakable purpose: to breed the chaos that will hasten the destruction of Squire James and his brave companions...and bring about the total corruption of the Tear of the Gods.… (more)
Member:JohnKeats
Title:Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, Book 3)
Authors:Raymond E. Feist
Info:HarperTorch (2002), Paperback

Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy) by Raymond E. Feist (2000)

English (9)  French (1)  All languages (10)
More Jimmy!

Honestly, I just find this fun. Fluffy fun. We get a little side-story lead-up to the big war with GODS a few decades later and it all fits like a straight line from Arutha to Demon War.

Was this or the other two novels strictly necessary?

Ehhhh... no. They WERE, however, necessary for the pure fun of it. Jimmy carries the tale with Pug's grandson and a Keshian court wizard. Getting into trouble is the name of the game for this ex-thief spymaster Jimmy. And he does... getting caught up with necromancers and dead gods and mad pirates. Alongside an angry dwarf. :)

More of a traditional fantasy than anything else, but it is still FUN.
It's fleshing out the early Krondorian days in a very big way. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is the 3rd book in the Riftwar Legacy, a subseries in the middle of the very large Riftwar Cycle. This also marks the last of the books from this series that I had previously read 20 years ago; the rest will all be completely new to me, although I remembered many of the past books so poorly that they practically felt new anyway.

This was probably my least favorite of all of them so far. Even though it features a lot of Jimmy, one of my favorite characters, it felt very formulaic. This book was also based on a video game, Return to Krondor, and the novelization felt much more formulaic to me than did the earlier novelization of the first game. The characters encounter enemies at predictable intervals, much like in a video game, and there are the occasional “side quests” although most of those do tie into the main story.

I don’t know, I didn’t think it was bad, and there were times when I enjoyed it more than others, but sometimes it felt tedious and a little flat. I did enjoy the banter between the characters, and Kendaric particularly made me laugh. It’s been a long time since I’ve played the game so I don’t remember it very well, but this novelization seemed to follow the story of the game far more closely and without much extra meat. Even a lot of the dialogue brought back echoes (possibly imaginary, but they sounded pretty convincing in my head!) of the video game characters saying the same things. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Dec 28, 2019 |
Sword, sorcery and setting. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
KRONDOR
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Disappointing. ( )
  willowcove | Sep 1, 2010 |
For Bob Ezrin,
who else?
The weather worsened.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,483,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible