Servant of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist
Recently added bymacdherbe, private library, KamilGruca, dmaness, Marie_Powell, wiggersursin, robjallen, vrullan
empire (12) Empire Trilogy (29) epic (8) epic fantasy (11) fantasy (507) fantasy fiction (9) Feist (18) fiction (142) high fantasy (11) intrigue (6) Kelewan (38) magic (14) Mara (8) Midkemia (28) novel (16) own (11) paperback (9) pb (7) politics (11) Raymond Feist (10) read (28) Riftwar (55) Riftwar Cycle (8) science fiction (23) series (18) sf (6) sff (28) to-read (15) trilogy (11) unread (8)

English (17)  French (2)  All languages (19)
Another good entry into the Empire series. I can’t say the series is amazing, or revolutionary or anything, but it’s certainly entertaining. Closer to 3.5 stars than 3, but I'm going with 3 because I don't really feel like it earned 4.

There’s really not much more to say.. It’s a pretty typical fantasy novel, full of interesting cultures to discover and political intrigue. If you liked book one, you’ll probably like this one as well. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
The Empire books took Feist's Riftwar novels in a different direction, exploring the world of Kelewan. Though they were a bit of a diversion from the main story, the Feist/Wurts Empire series are really some of the best of the whole collection. While they aren't required reading, they really add to the series as a whole. Well written, good action and excellent characters. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 2, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Mara is an amazing character, extremely complex, sympathetic and human. She grows and changes a great deal throughout this book, and I was especially interested in her relationship with the "barbarian" Kevin, who refuses to be a slave, and her continuing fascination and respect for Hokanu of the Shinazawai.

I particularly enjoyed the occassional cross-over moments to the Riftwar Saga books, which I first read many many years ago, and still love. Learning what was happening among the Tsurani people during the events of the Riftwar from their own perspective has given me a much greater understanding of their culture and attitudes than was ever made apparent in those books.

If you read the Riftwar books, and found them a bit too simple in story structure, these books should whet your appetite with war, feuds, and complex politics galore. An excellent book! ( )
  puttocklibrary | Oct 16, 2012 |
EMPIRE
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Apart from the last 50-60 pages, I found this book rather dull and a bit too long. I felt as if most parts dragged on for too long. There were ocassional parts where I would want to keep reading, but for most of it, my eyes became tired and I found my mind wandering. It was a bit too much to get my head around. However, the ideas and the storyline I still found interesting. ( )
  ashooles | Dec 8, 2010 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurts, Jannymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cuijpers, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Ron Faust, always a friend.
The breeze died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553292455, Mass Market Paperback)

"A sweeping drama unveiling a tale of love, hate and sacrifice against the panorama of an alien yet familiar society."--Publishers Weekly.

"Uncommonly satisfying."--Locus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:40 -0400)

In this thrilling sequel to Daughter of the Empire, Lady Mara faces a vengeful blood enemy who doesn't know Mara has a strategic secret weapon--a rakish Midkemian slave whose real identity will change the rimworld forever. "A tale of love, hate, and sacrifice against the panorama of an alien yet familiar society".--Publishers Weekly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible