Split Infinity by Piers Anthony

Split Infinity (1980)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Apprentice Adept (1)

Recently added byEllemir, lorikitty, Htoad2020, Debvie, private library, KCV, MichelleRabbit, ac87, PegD

Piers Anthony claims to never had "writer's block"...he powers through in his formulaic way (write xx chapters today, proof xx chapters of galleys later, etc.) I like to read his stuff, but my read on his formula is this: imaginative and engaging first book in a series; lots of fillers with his rarely subtle misogyny thrown in; and eventually, deterioration of what showed promise. I liked this the first time around, though never made it through his entire series, but still grabbed it for a quick nostalgic read as part of my Year of Nostalgic Rereads. I did and do think it imaginative, fun, and engaging. Fortunately, the writing is as most of his other works so simple (and the humor as always, juvenile)that it is a very quick read. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Definitely an interesting book, jumping between two worlds. A mixing of genres that definitely hold opposite ends of a creative spectrum.

There are many times I thought Stile a boob, but then it is a prototype for some of Anthony's characters. I had to give him the benefit of not knowing the one world at all, though it didn't salvage his status in my mind. I'll admit I had trouble with the series earlier, but one has to dig to find the proper theme.

From a writer's standpoint, I see places where it can be tightened, better executed. Too many of the characters feel flat, even the secondary ones. I'll keep reading, because I want to see the next book go for more punch, but I'm not hopeful anymore... ( )
  gilroy | Jul 27, 2015 |
Substance: Anthony does a nice job of switching between a science fiction setting and a fantasy milieu. The basic story is intriguing, but is marred by some conceptual inanities and clichéd situations. However, he does a good job promoting sound ethics, such as loyalty, honesty, and responsibility.
(As with most popular fiction today, sex is just a perk, not a problem, although the ensuing relationship difficulties are fairly treated.)

Style: Anthony (as in many of his books) writes on the lexical level of ages 11-15, but his unnecessary nudity and sexuality (although not in graphic detail) makes it unsuitable for that age group.
PS Riding a horse in the nude is bound to be very uncomfortable. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 15, 2015 |
I have residual affection for this, which was a teen favourite, but it is unreadable as an adult. The stilted language and casual sexism are jarring, as are unlikely images such as a female robot whose breasts are 'perfect' (visually and to touch, of course), but can be removed - and resemble bed pans when held upside down. You what now? One to read only if you can switch off logic and offence triggers. ( )
  imyril | May 11, 2015 |
Many people seem to correlate Piers Anthony with the Xanth series but in my opinion, this series of books was his most entertaining. How can you go wrong when you you match up both a fantasy and a science fiction world in the same novel where at least the main character has the ability to move between them (and does so) on a regular basis. You also will see (in no particular order)... self willed robots, sentient computers, shape changing magical creatures and more!

If you are looking for a funny and entertaing read within either the SF or Fantasy genre, I can recommend this series. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barbieri, ChrisMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He walked with the assurance of stature, and most others deferred to him subtly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345354915, Mass Market Paperback)

Split Infinity is the first book in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. Here two worlds exist side by side: Proton and Phaze. Proton is a science fiction world, where everything works in a logical and scientific manner. Phaze is a fantasy world similar to Anthony's Xanth in that there's no such thing as science--it's all done with magic! The wild plot involves a young adventurer named Stiles who lives in Proton and learns that his "double" in Phaze has been murdered. To solve his own demise, Stiles must travel between the two realities, each abounding with the expected confusions and unexpected plot twists for which Anthony is famous. An artful blending of SF and fantasy clichés and situations, Split Infinity shows Piers Anthony at the top of his ingenious game(s). --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

After escaping assassination on Pronto, Stiles finds himself on Phaze, where another power is set on destroying him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible