Split Infinity by Piers Anthony

Split Infinity (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Piers Anthony

Member:EmScape
Title:Split Infinity
Authors:Piers Anthony
Info:Del Ray/Ballantine Books, c1980.
Collections:All the Ebooks, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, small paperback, read, read in 2012, have ebook, Calibre import

Split Infinity by Piers Anthony (1980)

Recently added byprivate library, RichFSKT, KJGooster, trickyhu, GeekLair, lalind01, Shizenryoku, texanne

Definitely an interesting book, jumping between two worlds. A mixing of genres that definitely hold opposite ends of a creative spectrum.

There are many times I thought Stile a boob, but then it is a prototype for some of Anthony's characters. I had to give him the benefit of not knowing the one world at all, though it didn't salvage his status in my mind. I'll admit I had trouble with the series earlier, but one has to dig to find the proper theme.

From a writer's standpoint, I see places where it can be tightened, better executed. Too many of the characters feel flat, even the secondary ones. I'll keep reading, because I want to see the next book go for more punch, but I'm not hopeful anymore... ( )
  gilroy | Jul 27, 2015 |
Substance: Anthony does a nice job of switching between a science fiction setting and a fantasy milieu. The basic story is intriguing, but is marred by some conceptual inanities and clichéd situations. However, he does a good job promoting sound ethics, such as loyalty, honesty, and responsibility.
(As with most popular fiction today, sex is just a perk, not a problem, although the ensuing relationship difficulties are fairly treated.)

Style: Anthony (as in many of his books) writes on the lexical level of ages 11-15, but his unnecessary nudity and sexuality (although not in graphic detail) makes it unsuitable for that age group.
PS Riding a horse in the nude is bound to be very uncomfortable. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 15, 2015 |
I have residual affection for this, which was a teen favourite, but it is unreadable as an adult. The stilted language and casual sexism are jarring, as are unlikely images such as a female robot whose breasts are 'perfect' (visually and to touch, of course), but can be removed - and resemble bed pans when held upside down. You what now? One to read only if you can switch off logic and offence triggers. ( )
  imyril | May 11, 2015 |
Many people seem to correlate Piers Anthony with the Xanth series but in my opinion, this series of books was his most entertaining. How can you go wrong when you you match up both a fantasy and a science fiction world in the same novel where at least the main character has the ability to move between them (and does so) on a regular basis. You also will see (in no particular order)... self willed robots, sentient computers, shape changing magical creatures and more!

If you are looking for a funny and entertaing read within either the SF or Fantasy genre, I can recommend this series. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Stiles is slave and a jockey, not very attractive and actually quite short for a man. But he knows how to win in the Games, and that might make all the difference when he meets a woman and his world starts falling apart.

I could not finish this book. I am just not a fan of this book. At first I was all on board. Games, where two people chose the battle field and competed, were quite an interesting concept. Competition of speed on a dust-filled slide? Interesting. The possibility that you can beat someone through intelligence and predicting the opponent's movements? Yeah, I'm all for that.
The characters started out great too - a woman who was surprisingly competitive, Stiles who was secretly brilliant. Good stuff.

I mean, some parts were a little off - like how characters could deliver a whole monologue about philosophy and the such. But that's manageable.

And then it all started going crazy.

It happened around the time where Stiles rejected the offer to continue being a jockey. So when Stiles rejected the counteroffer to keep his position as jockey, why couldn't any of the slaves do that before? What was the whole point of him trying to be the best in the Games to stay in this world, then? It basically defeated the whole premise of the story.

And then suddenly, how in the freaking blazes did the book transform from a story about Games into a weird story about Stiles appearing in a new, magical world where there are shape-shifters? We lose our main/original female protagonist (who Stiles professed to love) and then end up in a funky world where Stiles is a sorcerer and is the true beloved of a unicorn-turned-girl.
And then we stay in this weird, magical world for some 100 pages. What is going on????

After I lost sight of the original attraction (the games and the potential upheaval of slaves and AIs), I just didn't care anymore. Stiles is wish-fulfillment of a male protagonist (ugly with a bland personality that somehow gets all the girls). The magic was really spontaneous with no structure.

I see no reason to keep reading.

One star. Couldn't even finish the book.
Do not recommend. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He walked with the assurance of stature, and most others deferred to him subtly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345354915, Mass Market Paperback)

Split Infinity is the first book in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. Here two worlds exist side by side: Proton and Phaze. Proton is a science fiction world, where everything works in a logical and scientific manner. Phaze is a fantasy world similar to Anthony's Xanth in that there's no such thing as science--it's all done with magic! The wild plot involves a young adventurer named Stiles who lives in Proton and learns that his "double" in Phaze has been murdered. To solve his own demise, Stiles must travel between the two realities, each abounding with the expected confusions and unexpected plot twists for which Anthony is famous. An artful blending of SF and fantasy clichés and situations, Split Infinity shows Piers Anthony at the top of his ingenious game(s). --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

After escaping assassination on Pronto, Stiles finds himself on Phaze, where another power is set on destroying him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible