Split Infinity by Piers Anthony

Split Infinity (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Piers Anthony

Member:EmScape
Title:Split Infinity
Authors:Piers Anthony
Info:Del Ray/Ballantine Books, c1980.
Collections:All the Ebooks, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, small paperback, read, read in 2012, have ebook, Calibre import

Split Infinity by Piers Anthony (1980)

Recently added byNineLarks, shadowelf76, Eisler, wespector, imyril, amy42derrough, private library, ladyofbadgers

Stiles is slave and a jockey, not very attractive and actually quite short for a man. But he knows how to win in the Games, and that might make all the difference when he meets a woman and his world starts falling apart.

I could not finish this book. I am just not a fan of this book. At first I was all on board. Games, where two people chose the battle field and competed, were quite an interesting concept. Competition of speed on a dust-filled slide? Interesting. The possibility that you can beat someone through intelligence and predicting the opponent's movements? Yeah, I'm all for that.
The characters started out great too - a woman who was surprisingly competitive, Stiles who was secretly brilliant. Good stuff.

I mean, some parts were a little off - like how characters could deliver a whole monologue about philosophy and the such. But that's manageable.

And then it all started going crazy.

It happened around the time where Stiles rejected the offer to continue being a jockey. So when Stiles rejected the counteroffer to keep his position as jockey, why couldn't any of the slaves do that before? What was the whole point of him trying to be the best in the Games to stay in this world, then? It basically defeated the whole premise of the story.

And then suddenly, how in the freaking blazes did the book transform from a story about Games into a weird story about Stiles appearing in a new, magical world where there are shape-shifters? We lose our main/original female protagonist (who Stiles professed to love) and then end up in a funky world where Stiles is a sorcerer and is the true beloved of a unicorn-turned-girl.
And then we stay in this weird, magical world for some 100 pages. What is going on????

After I lost sight of the original attraction (the games and the potential upheaval of slaves and AIs), I just didn't care anymore. Stiles is wish-fulfillment of a male protagonist (ugly with a bland personality that somehow gets all the girls). The magic was really spontaneous with no structure.

I see no reason to keep reading.

One star. Couldn't even finish the book.
Do not recommend. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This is a really good movie to teach a lesson about the love of money. The main character is obsessed with making money and it frequently infringes on her other goals. In an accident she is "transported" back in time and takes the place of a member of her family just before Black Tuesday. When in that time, she sees how her grandfather, in his pursuit of the dollar will cost the family the farm where they live. She tries to persuade him differently, then begins to raise money herself to try and keep him from selling the land. This movie is very good, and watchable for the whole family. Along with being entertaining, it has a very deffinite moral.
  FloydHyattJr | Jun 21, 2014 |
Soon after escaping assassination on the highly technical, science-oriented planet of Proton, Stile finds himself in a world of sorcery and magic where another power seeks his destruction.

Split Infinity is the first in the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony. Unlike most genre books this one takes place in both sci-fi and fantasy worlds. Proton is the sci-fi half and Phaze is the fantasy half.

It is the ultimate male fantasy story. Stile is a master Gamesman, expert at nearly every Game, the top ranked jockey on the planet and has quite a way with the ladies, human and inhuman alike. He is also blessed with a magic affinity on Phaze that he picks up in minutes. His only "flaw" is being short, which he internally monologues about and uses as his rationalization as why some people don't like him. It's annoying.

That being said, the worlds themselves are both interesting. I liked the concept of two worlds overlapping in space by alternate realities. The way the Game works and how the selection process is a huge part of the strategy was also a great concept. Stile's first attempt to ride a unicorn was priceless and one of the best parts of the book.

I'm not sure I would recommend this book to anyone. There were enough parts I found entertaining that I gave it 3 stars instead of 2.5. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 27, 2013 |
This is one of those books that I have read a hundred times (quite possibly literally) and cannot be objective about. I first read it when I was maybe 8. And man oh man did I love it. Horses! Unicorns! Magic! Underdogs winning!

It... doesn't hold up. There are some key worldbuilding elements that don't really work that I never would have noticed as a kid - so it's basically a slave society, where the slaves are all totally naked and powerless except they can leave the planet at any time. And yet it seems totally functional, has zero crime, zero serf-on-serf rape (although it is explicitly stated that serfs can be used as sex toys by Citizens) and apparently is such an awesome place to be that no one in their right mind would leave voluntarily. (They... get fed? And have shelter? And get to play games in their free time?)

Also, Anthony has some really... archaic attitudes about women, and they leak through. Every single woman that Stile encounters, encountered in the past, or might encounter in the future finds him inexplicably irresistible, whether or not they are his type, species, or whatever. He is therefore chivalrously obliged to take eternal possession of most of them, to the point where there is an actual conversation where a guy asks him if he could have Stile's girlfriend (because he's an honorable man and therefore would never actually approach the woman first.) And he graciously allows one of his adoring lackeys to be his steed forever. (I meant it about the species.)

So... not a book, or a series, I could in good conscience recommend. I'm not even sure I'll make it through a reread, as much fun as the various game depictions are. (Although... ugh, the Red Adept. Next book!) ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
A masterful blending of science fiction and fantasy; the action takes place in two worlds: the technologically advanced planet Proton and the medieval fantasy world Phaze. Our hero, Stile, passes between worlds defeating foes and avoiding death in both.
I don't actually want to explain much more about the book. In fact, I'm of the opinion that even the blurb on the back gives too much away. The outcome of a couple of contests is completely spoiled due to that information. In fact, I would encourage anyone who thinks they might be the least bit interested to go pick up the book immediately without reading a further word. Seriously. Why are you still reading this? Go get this book and read it right now. I'll wait.
Anyone still reading this review should hopefully only be doing so because you've already read the book and are for some reason curious to know more about what I thought of it. Okay. So, I really liked Stile, even though he's a bit cavalier about sleeping with two "women" at the same time. I thought both Sheen and Neysa were very resourceful and strong female characters. I was fascinated by the Game and totally wish I could play it myself. I only have one niggling issue with the plot, but hopefully it will clear up later in the series: (spoiler tagged, highlight to view) it bothers me that Stile would be a powerful adept in one world and an almost powerless serf in the other. I sort of got the impression that people were roughly analogous across worlds; it seems unlikely for there to be such a disparity between the two of him. Other than that, high marks. Really, very good. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 17, 2012 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He walked with the assurance of stature, and most others deferred to him subtly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345354915, Mass Market Paperback)

Split Infinity is the first book in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. Here two worlds exist side by side: Proton and Phaze. Proton is a science fiction world, where everything works in a logical and scientific manner. Phaze is a fantasy world similar to Anthony's Xanth in that there's no such thing as science--it's all done with magic! The wild plot involves a young adventurer named Stiles who lives in Proton and learns that his "double" in Phaze has been murdered. To solve his own demise, Stiles must travel between the two realities, each abounding with the expected confusions and unexpected plot twists for which Anthony is famous. An artful blending of SF and fantasy clichés and situations, Split Infinity shows Piers Anthony at the top of his ingenious game(s). --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:50 -0400)

After escaping assassination on Pronto, Stiles finds himself on Phaze, where another power is set on destroying him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,679,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible