The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie…

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Other authors:Annie Barrows
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2013, Library Book, Guernsey

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (2008)

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (khuggard, DetailMuse, Cecilturtle, helgagrace, Sodapop, BasilBlue, kraaivrouw)
    khuggard: Another tale about book lovers who come together through letters, with the same post-war England setting.
    Sodapop: A Non-fiction story about book lovers told via their letters.
    BasilBlue: A book about books and booklovers for booklovers that incidentally has a real flavor of the late 40s and early 50s.
    kraaivrouw: Another book about people who connect via their love of books and reading.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another deeply affecting, beautiful and heartbreaking story of books, love, small kindness and resilience during World War II.
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (Anonymous user, mysterymax)
    Anonymous user: Both novels reflect on World War II from small, seaside towns, one an island in Europe, the other a small town in Cape Cod. The female leads are unique and interesting and are surrounded by great small town people.
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (cransell)
    The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (MyriadBooks)
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Going in to the bookmobile to apologize for the disturbance created by one of her corgis, Queen Elizabeth II feels it would only be polite to check out a book. When she returns it, she checks out another . . . and then another. One of her pages becomes her abettor in the matter of securing books and reading them. Thus begins an amusing but also thought-provoking saga of how reading can change a person's habits and even outlook.… (more)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: The writing styles and the authors' love for the written word connect both period pieces in my mind even though their plots are extremely different.
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes of a journalist discovering the layers of secrets around a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G. B. Edwards (jill123, BasilBlue)
    jill123: Though they are different in style and tone, both books are set in the Channel Islands during the Nazi Occupation. I enjoyed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I found Ebenezer Le Page to be an absolutely wonderful book. More complex and interesting than the Potato Peel Society.… (more)
    BasilBlue: Although written in a more elegantly sparse style, this book covers much the same territory, geographically and emotionally.
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)
    Miss Buncle by D. E. Stevenson (wandering_star)
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Limelite)
    Limelite: Also an epistolary novel. Also about how community can triumph over debilitating circumstance.
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (nancyewhite)
    Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole (rosylibrarian)
    The Dig by John Preston (catherinestead)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: This YA novel, set in 1936, features 16-year-old Sophie, a royal orphan growing up with her siblings and cousin in a shabby castle on island kingdom of Montmaray, somewhere off the coast of England. The island's strategic location draws the interest of the Nazis.… (more)
    A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books deal with the occupation of Guernsey by the Nazis.
    The German Occupation of Jersey, 1940 - 1945 - Notes on the General Conditions. How the Population Fared by Ralph Mollet (KayCliff)
    My Dear Bessie: A Love Story in Letters by Chris Barker (carriehh)

English (1,009)  French (14)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (6)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (3)  German (3)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1,049)
Juliet Ashton is a writer who spent WWII writing a light-hearted column for a London newspaper which has now been collected, after the war, into a book by her publisher and friend, Sidney Stark. While on a book signing tour, she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands. Dawsey has found a book which used to belong to Juliet, and he requests the name of a bookseller in London so that he can purchase new books, there being no supply of new books on the island. Guernsey was occupied by the Nazis for most of the war and was cut-off from Britain and news of the outside world. During the war, Dawsey and his friends, including Elizabeth McKenna, started the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, initially as an excuse to hide the eating of an illegal pig from the Nazis. It soon bloomed into much more and became one of the reasons for their survival. Juliet starts to correspond with Dawsey and his friends, initially for journalistic purposes, but she finally visits Guernsey and finds more than she expected.

This book is written as a series of letters between Juliet, her friend and publisher, Sidney and his sister, Juliet's best friend, and the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society. Through the letters, we learn what the Society and reading books meant to its members, and how it helped them survive the war. The style is very reminiscent of 84, Charing Cross Road. The letters allow us to get to know not only the members of the Society but also Juliet as well, as we watch her grow and change as the members affect her life and vice versa. Although it is set a year or so after the end of WWII, there are quite a few direct reminiscences about the war. A subplot of the story is that of the life of Elizabeth McKenna, who was sent by the Nazis to Ravensbrueck shortly before the end of the war.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I knew in passing that the Channel Islands had been taken over by the Nazis during the war, but I had not really thought about what that entailed. The Islands, although a part of the UK, are self-ruled, but they depend on the UK for many of the necessities of life. I found it interesting that even though the Nazis occupied Guernsey, they too were starving toward the end of the war. It may deliver a history lesson, but it is also a sometimes joyous, often poignant peek into the lives of Juliet and the Society members.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially those who enjoy historical fiction. ( )
  rretzler | May 15, 2017 |
A charming novel of written correspondence between the spunky writer Juliet, her close friends in war-decimated London, and various members of the mysterious literary society of Guernsey. An unexpectedly lighthearted but honest story of World War II and the resilience of those whose home was occupied by the Germans. Uplifting despite a dark topic and peppered throughout with literary references and the antics of a variety of lively characters. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
I didn't think I'd like a book told compelety through correspondence, but it was almost effortless. It did take a little work to keep the characters straight at first, but after a while each voice became distinct. It was a wonderful slice of history, and a very creative way to create characters, each with his or her own point of view, background and tale to tell. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
During World War II Londoner Juliet Ashton wrote a lighthearted column under the name Izzy Bickerstaff. Now it is January 1946 and she is looking for a new topic to write on under her own name. A letter of inquiry from a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society grabs her attention. As her correspondence with various members of the book club grows Juliet learns more about their experiences in Guernsey during the German occupation from 1940-1945. She determines to visit and their finds new inspiration and a new life away from war ravaged London. Written as a series of letters, the warmth of the characters and the joy of their friendship and survival shines through in this novel. Heartwarming. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | May 6, 2017 |
Audiobook people! If you are deciding on a medium, or have read this in print, for the love of all literary holiness, audiobook! I had this on my TBR list for months, bought the print version in hardback, I was that sure I'd love it, and then not one, but two false starts. I refused to give up. The audiobook simply brought everything to life in a way that I was having trouble putting together. I became so invested in everyone on Guernsey and could not wait to hear more about each character as the story unfolded. High, high praises for this book! I have not stopped recommending to friends, family, strangers. Five plus stars! ( )
  CMDH5 | May 3, 2017 |
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," written by the late Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children's author Annie Barrows, stays within modest bounds, but is successful in ways many novels are not. This book won't change your life, but it will probably enchant you. And sometimes that's precisely what makes fiction worthwhile.

he Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society commemorates beautiful spirits who pass through our midst and hunker undercover through brutal times. Shaffer's Guernsey characters step from the past radiant with eccentricity and kindly humour, a comic version of the state of grace. They are innocents who have seen and suffered, without allowing evil to penetrate the rind of decency that guards their humanity.

You could be skeptical about the novel's improbabilities and its sanitized portrait of book clubs (doesn't anyone read trashy thrillers?), but you'd be missing the point. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a sweet, sentimental paean to books and those who love them.

Mary Ann Shafferprimary authorall editionscalculated

21 St. James's Place
London S.W.1
England

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder. We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food. Susan managed to procure ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue. If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring about the country. Do you suppose that a lavish bonus could spur her on to butter? Let's try it—you may deduct the money from my royalties.
Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books. -Isola Pribby
Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life. -Isola Pribby
Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true. -Juliet
I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with. -Juliet
I think you learn more if you're laughing at the same time. -John Booker

Beginning at the end of WW2, this book is told through the form of letter between writer Juliet Ashton and her friends. Juliet initially receives a letter from a man on the island of Guernsey asking for more books. She becomes so in love with stories and descriptions of life in Guernsey that she decides to go herself. Through the letters she sends home and the letters from her new friends the stories of people's lives are revealed. This book points out that the lives of people were more important than the formality of the writing.

This book may not have the most literary value bu there were so many allusions to books that I couldn't keep track. It made me realize that I had really not read that many books. It also was a book that made me want to learn more about people and not just be content with what's on the surface. The people in Guernsey were just so interesting.

January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:42 -0400)

As London is emerging from the shadow of World War II, writer Juliet Ashton discovers her next subject in a book club on Guernsey--a club born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi after its members are discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Ann Shaffer's book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 2031

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,461,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible