The Oathbound by Mercedes Lackey

Did Mercedes Lackey even write this? Disjointed, uninteresting, flat characters, and really badly edited (worse than some recent self-published ebooks I've suffered through). I'm a big fan of Valdemar and was looking forward to more about Tarma and Kethry; this book was not it. Other goodreads reviewers say next in series reads less like a bunch of jumpy episodes and more like a real novel. On the fence whether I even want to start it, even from a free public library edition. Definitely not top of my "to read" wants. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
This is the opening book in the duology of books dealing with Kethry and Tarma, Mage and Sword Sworn fighter. Although these are mostly quite good fun, there is an air of preaching in some of the tales that sometimes overcomes the storytelling. On the whole, though, they are worthwile reading as a different take on the heroine feminine fantasy fighter. Though there are other books with some of these tales in them so you may quickly find yourself with a sense of deja vue all over again. The stories are at least presented chronologically in this collection so you can see how the characters develop in internal chronology. ( )
  JohnFair | May 17, 2015 |
Another enjoyed re-read of Mercedes Lackey's expansion on her Tarma and Kethry short stories from the Sword and Sorceress anthologies.

http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.ca/2015/01/the-oathbound-mercedes-lackey.html ( )
  ElenaGwynne | Jan 19, 2015 |
Trigger Warning: There are mentions of one of the characters rape that takes place in her past. Nothing too graphic, but there are no warnings for it in any of the blurbs I've seen. It's best for people to be prepared.

Note: This books is a bunch of loosely connected short stories collected into one book. It does not contain the story of Tarma and Kethry's first meeting, Sword Sworn published in the Sword and Sorceresses III Anthology. While this book takes place in the same universe as Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series, it takes place in a different region of the world (the Southern lands). They are just as magical, but we do not encounter any characters from the other series and the tone of these books are different.

Review proper:
This books is a fantastic fun read. I highly recommend it to any fans of fantasy, especially if they are looking for female centric stories with humor and intricate world building on par of Tolkien and GRRM. Though I would hesitate to call this epic fantasy, because it's really more about the story of two women, who are best friends and warriors.

I first read these book as a teenager, after unsuccessfully attempting to slog my way through various high fantasy series. As a teenage girl, and woman of color, I was longing to read about someone like me, while still exploring the concepts and world building of the fantasy genre. In other words, I was bored to death of white man fantasy. Where women were relegated to damsels, canon fodder or sexist jokes. Where there wasn't a single ethnic character, or the supernatural creatures were thinly veiled racist stereotypes ala JarJar Binks.

Enter my foster mother who was tired of my bitching. She slapped down her well worn copies of The Oathbound and Oathbreakers, telling me to shut up and read. To this day I'm so grateful to her for giving me the gift of Mercedes Lackey's books. Even though it has been two decades since I first read these books they still stand as some of the most entertaining and endearing of all the books I own.

If you're looking for books with a woman of color in a lead role, where a female friendship is set center stage and that has a of cheeky sense of humor these books are for you.

This book also has one of the most positive representations of an asexual character I've ever read. The world has gay and lesbian characters who are viewed in a positive light. (In fact, Lackey has a prequel series set in this world, north in the kingdom of Valdemer about a gay man called Valdemar: The Last Herald Mage. Which I highly recommend too).

This is fantasy with a female voice, written to entertain and amuse and it does. ( )
1 vote EinfachMich | Sep 21, 2013 |
Pulp fantasy in the grand old Conan tradition - wizards, demons, supernaturally talented swordsmen... er, swordswomen... well, it's not *quite* Conan. There's a little more rape-revenge to the various adventures than I really care for - more on that in a bit - and this is very clearly an early work of Lackey's style-wise. The writing is supremely unsubtle and the characters, while fun and vivid, spend a lot of time in "As you know, Bob" conversations or having inner dialogues to make tediously explicit every single bit of emotional tension. (The recurring villain is worse - he's basically a cardboard-cutout demon who does awful things simply because they're awful, and the sexual nature of most of them doesn't bear too much thinking about - again, see below.) It's also basically a collection of short stories - a number of the adventures actually were originally written as shorts, and the seams show. All that said, it's still good solid adventure all the way through, and with a heavyhanded and somewhat juvenile but refreshing (for the genre) feminist outlook.

And now a minor rant: I don't always hate rape-revenge fantasies, but I usually find them lazy at best. They tend to strongly imply that rape is the worst possible thing that can happen and a properly independent and powerful woman will drop everything to hunt down and get revenge on her rapist. This can be satisfying, in a gruesome sort of way, but often - and this book is definitely an example - it just seems to reinforce the patriarchal assumptions that a woman is only good for sex and her virginity is the only possession of value. It's a lot better than assuming that rape is just what happens and women should ignore - or, worse, come to enjoy - it, but it's still not really a position I can really get behind. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Dedicate to
Lisa Waters
for wanting to see it
and my parents
for agreeing with her
The sky was overcast, a solid gray sheet that seemed to hang just barely above the treetops, with no sign of a break in the clouds anywhere.

Tarma witnessed her clan's murder and, swearing vengeance, became a master warrior. Kethry fled her forced "marriage" and became an adept--pledging her power to the greatest good. When Kethry obtains a magical sword which draws her to others in need, the two vow to avenge the wrongs done to womanhood.

Tarma witnessed her clan's murder and, swearing vengeance, became a master warrior. Kethry fled her forced marriage and became an adept-pledging her power to the greatest good. When Kethry obtains a magical sword which draws her to others in need, the two vow to avenge the wrongs done to womanhood.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,913,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible