Another Man's Moccasins by Craig Johnson

Another Man's Moccasins (2008)

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (4)

I look forward to each Wyoming escape from reality via Craig Johnson. Another Man's Moccasins lets us in on more of Longmire's history, this installment's history having to do with Vietnam. The series is popular amongst the library set and the only copy I could get was the large-print version. Being "on up" (p. 346), it didn't diminish my enjoyment any and allowed me to read without my very expensive Walgreen's discount readers. A win-win situation. "...I guess I'm just fucking lucky that way" (p. 391).

[Does anyone else find themselves very jealous of Vic? Longmire's my age. I say, 'Back off, Center City Filly!']

_______________
Side Note
See: The Abandoned Town In New Mexico That Most People Stay Far, Far Away From

Dawson, NM, is right near where I was born and raised, in Raton, NM. It also isn't far from where the Netflix original series, "Longmire," is filmed (up around Cimarron, Eagles Nest, and Red River). Now, Craig Johnson sets his Walt Longmire mystery series in Wyoming. Yet, the plot of 'Another Man's Moccasins' (book #4) is set amidst an abandoned mining town wherein the cemetery at the end of town hosts a large number of miners who lost their lives. I don't know if Dawson fueled Mr. Johnson's imagination, I'm just sayin' Dawson has the possibility of being the inspiration for his tale. Still, anyone growing up around mining knows there are many stories of boom, tragedy, and bust.
***This is as close to a conspiracy theory as I am able to originate.** ( )
  Christina_E_Mitchell | Sep 9, 2017 |
Another great installment to the Longmire series. It just keeps getting better and better.

This time we get some flashbacks to Walt and Henry's time in Vietnam, as the current day mystery has ties to their past. The body of a young Vietnamese woman is found in Walt's jurisdiction, and the Crow Indian found near the scene is accused of the murder. As Walt finds himself faced with proving a man's innocence, he is struck by the similarities to a case he had as a Marine investigator in Vietnam. The mystery is smartly woven together and I was guessing until the end.

Read this series. Just read it. You will like it. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Not my favourite. Sheriff Walt Longmire flashbacks to his time in Vietnam when he discovers the body of a murdered Vietnamese girl, there's a handy Native Indian around to cast the blame on too, so he's immediately suspicious a third party might be involved. Meanwhile his daughter continues her recovery from her accident in the previous book, and he still can't decide what he's going to do about his deputy lover.

Meh. I don't much like flashbacks at the best of times, and military ones are even less so. Walt goes back to being some kind of super soldier able to leap buildings in a single bound. Which possibly explains why he's survived so much in the series already. He's supposed to be investigating drugs in a US army camp, but prefers to find Standing Bear in action instead. Then a stripper friend of his gets murdered so he chases those responsible instead. Meanwhile he asks a few questions about the dead girl, and doesn't get much in the way of useful answers.

It all feels like the original plot was insufficiently long so the war flashbacks were stuffed in. Or perhaps the author tried to find a modern hook to hang the flashbacks on, but they too are insufficient as a story on their own. The concept of the Indian being Walt's alternative history never really works at all, despite the title.

Meh, glad this sin't the start of the series the characters remain different from many others, but it's already getting very similar to the last. ( )
  reading_fox | Jun 7, 2017 |
It's nice to see a recurring character series where the author isn't afraid to take narrative risks - in this case altering his established structural style by using a parallel flashback storyline. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
As usual, the lives of Walt and crew are interesting and humorous. I feel like I know these characters and they make me smile in that knowing.

We really enjoy reading the Longmire series and this book provides more insight into what makes Walt, Walt. Very well done. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aslanides, SophieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
guidall, georgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, María PorrasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, DarrenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Great spirit, grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his moccasins. -- Old Indian Prayer
For Bill Bower and all those crazy bastards who flew off the USS Hornet and into those cold, gray skies on the morning on April 18, 1942 -- and everybody who ever threw a salute before and after.
"Two more."

A murder victim might connect to Walt’s past in this enthralling novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Cold Dish and As the Crow Flies, the fourth in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love the fourth mystery in New York Times bestselling author Craig Johnson's award-winning Walt Longmire series , the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series, is not to be missed. It delivers more of the taut prose, engrossing characters, beautiful Wyoming setting, and satisfying depth that reviewers have been hailing since his first book, The Cold Dish. In Another Man's Moccasins, the body of a Vietnamese woman dumped along the Wyoming interstate opens a baffling case for Sheriff Longmire, whose only suspect is a Crow Indian with a troubled past. But things get even stranger when a photograph turns up in the victim's purse that ties her murder to one from Longmire's past-a case he tackled as a Marine Corps investigator forty years earlier in Vietnam.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Called to investigate when a dead Vietnamese girl is found along a Wyoming highway, Longmire and deputies have little to go on. Near the crime scene, however, Longmire discovers Virgil White Buffalo, a homeless Indian and Vietnam vet who happens to have the girl's purse. Longmire retrieves a photograph from the purse--a photo that reminds him of his first investigation as a Marine detective in Vietnam. Longmire is sure that the two crimes--separated by 40 years--are connected, but old enemies lie in wait to thwart his search for answers.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,979,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible