Last Post by Robert Barnard

Last Post (2008)

by Robert Barnard

While morning the sudden death of her mother, a retired school mistress, a young woman receives a strange letter. She sets out to discover more about her past and a murder results. Interesting plot twists.
  ritaer | May 29, 2017 |
I've never been disappointed by a Robert Barnard novel and this one was no exception. When Eve McNabb's mother dies, Eve is sorting through the many condolence letters when she comes upon a letter addressed to her mother, with shocking revelations which cause her to question all her mother has told her -- especially about her father. With the help of a young police detective to whom she has gone for philatelic help about the letter's postmark, she begins to get to the bottom of things ... and then there's a murder. This book was full of surprises to the last page. Although as far as I can recall, all the Barnards I've read have been standalones, I know that he has done a series of police procedurals as well. [b:Last Post|187999|Learning to Live Finally The Last Interview|Jacques Derrida|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172543071s/187999.jpg|786543] obviously stands on its own merits, but there were aspects which suggested that it could possibly be the first of a series, which I would also welcome. Recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Eve's mother passes away and Eve reads a letter meant for her mother. Thus, Eve begins to delve into her mother's past and along the way finds a murderer.

Although this book was an easy read, I didn't really care for it. In a period of a few weeks, Eve meets a married policeman and by the end is living with him. The relationship is just too rushed - an entire marriage is broken up and a new relationship begins without the two really even knowing each other. Also, Eve just decides to quit her job really without much thought.

The murder happens nearer to the end of the book, and although it may be somewhat obvious who committed the murder, there is a little surprise at the end. It certainly doesn't take very long to actually catch the murderer though.

Everything in this book was much too rushed and the whole thing just seemed forced. I was tempted to give it just 2 stars.

I've heard that this author writes good mysteries, so I'll have to read another to see if I truly believe that - perhaps I just started with the wrong one. ( )
  rretzler | Aug 15, 2011 |
The only murder occurs late; by then I didn't much care. After her mother's death, Eve delves into her past, including the question of what happened to her father and whether or not her mother had had a lesbian affair. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jun 13, 2009 |
Easy read. Woman returns home to bury her mother and finds a letter in the post mixed in with condolences implying that her mother was a lesbian. She starts investigating her mother's past and what happened to her father while falling in love with a police consultant who is helping her. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jul 23, 2008 |

Receiving a letter from a woman who claims to have been her late mother's lover, Eve McNabb considers her mother's mysterious nature and the possibility that the father she has always believed to be dead may still be alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,675,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible