Playing Dead by Allison Brennan
Recently added bysnik, Rena37, Airykah1382, kellsie90

Playing Dead by Allison Brennan is the third book in the Prison Break Trilogy but it can stand alone. It's about Tom O'Brien, an ex-cop imprisoned and sentenced to death for his wife and her lover's murders. Claire, his daughter, believes he is guilty until she meets Oliver, a law student who claims to have proof of her father's innocence. She starts questioning everything about what she knows about her father's guilt and his fifteen year imprisonment. This story grabbed me and didn't let go! I was in the dark about who done it until the very end of the book. The mystery and suspense was nail-biting and had me on the edge of my seat holding my breath! It was a thrilling ride! This mystery is well executed and very well written. I've had this book on my shelf for a few years now, but never felt the need to read it. I told myself that this year I would get some of my older books read, and I am so glad I did! ( )
  feeroberts64 | Jan 22, 2017 |
Started April 19th, 2014.
Too long, very complicated, romance was as in the other books and not very good.
While a lot is explained and it may at times be necessary, but nearly all persons have a backstory and with a story-arc spanning 30 years it was just too much. Some other reader might like it, that even minor characters are very detailed and given live, but to me this was just 20-30% too long in reading time and distracting. Also overly complicated. Which in the end, under pressure to solve the crimes and connect everything, was not very satisfying and not very realistic. Such datamining to compile all facts to a conclusion would normally take months or years, not hours or days.
Some scenes where similar to scenes from her other books, like she has copied from her self. As I read some books out of order, this may be the first instance she used that scene and the other the copy, but it is a copy every way.
And the ending was as expected, not too surprising.
It is a page-turner nonetheless but no recommendation.
While not bad, the Prison Break-Series relied too much on plain romance and the sex scenes (with some perverse exceptions) where plain.
I regard these 3 books as the worst so far, but may be I am just reading too many of her books in too little time. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
This romantic suspense had a good plot and plenty of exciting fast paced action but at the beginning I didn't care for heroine because she didn't believe in her father and the hero's secret was too big to hide. FBI agent Mitch starts dating Claire to see if she is in touch with her fugitive father.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Of the three books in the Prison Trilogy, this was the best one. It was the most entertaining and thrilling. Attempting to figure out the bad guy was a challenge and I did not succeed though he was one of the ones I suspected. Throughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  smithli | Mar 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Brennan is an expert at creating tough, realistic heroines. Her action sequences are taut and suspenseful, and her ability to deliver solid thrillers is rare. That said, there's nothing really new here. This is the third in the Prison Break series, and it shows. Brennan's a solid, capable author and her stories are unquestionably good, but break no new ground and are in danger of becoming repetitive. ( )
  hippolytus | Jan 21, 2012 |
For the FBI Special Agents in the Sacramento regional office who live up to their motto:
Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity
Prologue:
Thirty Years Ago

He buried Jessica White's body in the vast open space on the west end of Stanford University.

DEAD MAN RUNNING

Sentenced to death for crimes he didn’t commit, ex-cop Tom O’Brien is now a hunted fugitive. After fifteen years in prison, he’s determined to prove his innocence–but first he must convince his daughter, whose testimony helped put him behind bars, that he has damning evidence of a plot to frame him.

Claire is no longer the naïve teenager who arrived home to find her mother and her mother’s lover shot dead and her father holding the murder weapon. She’s a successful fraud investigator who assumes everyone lies. Though Claire is convinced of her father’s guilt, curiosity propels her to look into the disappearance of a law student who claimed to have proof of Tom’s innocence. But seeking answers only leads to more questions, reinforcing Claire’s belief that there’s no one left to trust.

Obsessed with the O’Brien case, FBI agent Mitch Bianchi befriends Claire under false pretenses, certain that Tom is not only innocent but in grave danger–and not just from the cops. As the three race toward the truth, a murderous conspiracy tightens its noose–and Claire becomes the target of an ice-cold psychopath who will kill to protect his secrets.

A wanted fugitive must clear his name, reclaim his daughter's trust, and outrun the FBI--and a killer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Allison Brennan's book Playing Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible