Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian

by Lara Adrian

Veil of Midnight
4.5 stars

Synopsis:
What happens when two warriors clash? Renata cannot be bested by either vampire or mortal, but she meets her match in Nikolai, a combat addicted Breed warrior who will do anything to catch his quarry. Can these two reconcile their differences for a love that my save or consume them?

Review:
An emotional story, a sweet hero and a formidable heroine.

Adrian touches on several exceedingly dark issues in her complex and gripping plots, and this book is the darkest so far with references to pedophilia, human trafficking, breeding programs and experimentation. Nevertheless, this is all mixed in with an intensity of emotion, chemistry and connection between the lead characters.

Niko is not the most intense or charismatic of the Breed warriors but he is definitely the sweetest and the one with the best-developed sense of morality. While some details of his back-story are provided, the focus is on Renata, and Niko’s character development is somewhat neglected.

Renata has overtaken Elise as my favorite Breedmate. Although she may appear cold in the beginning, her stoicism is completely in line with the harshness of her background and it is thrilling to see her innate compassion for others come to the fore as she learns to love and to be loved. On a side note, one of the aspects of Adrian’s series that I most appreciate is the fact that the mates have their own abilities, actively participate in the battle against the villains in the books and do not sit around waiting to be rescued.

The romance between Niko and Renata is another strong point in the book. They seem to have an immediate connection but are wary of taking it forward for their own reasons. However, they make a great couple once the obstacles are removed.

Unlike the other books in the series, there is more than one villain, each with their own diabolical agenda but Adrian is able to successfully merge them together into a unified whole.

The story is captivating with some seriously disturbing moments, and one or two twists and turns that advance the overall series arc, which makes me especially eager to read both Andreas and Hunter’s books. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Summary

Nikolai is searching for a certain assassin, a vampire that is a “gen one”. On his hunt he comes across a woman of mystery but one that draws him into a trap, a trap where he finds himself a prisoner because of her unique power. But Nikolai is drawn into a different world that is Renata’s reality. He learns that Sergei is not what he appears to be. What he learns he decides that its time to return back to his brethren of warriors and find a way to get the bigger enemy of theirs. But Renata is put in a bad place. Renata has a unique gift and she was taken off the streets and kept prisoner and only keeps her loyalty due to her love for a young girl Mira, who is innocent and has special gifts and considers her like family. But when Mira is sold, and she learns that Niko has been taken to a vampire facility. Renata must rescue Niko and in the process Niko and Renata will undergo a journey where they will discover the truth behind the bigger picture and discover a passionate love.

Plot and Story Line

Veil of Midnight is such a truly wonderful addition to the midnight breed series. This story was a bit different than the previous books. What was fun was the heroine…she is totally kick ass. She is not afraid of using her gift of causing intense pain in the head to her advantage. She is sassy and spirited and a fighter. She is strong and has to learn to fight on her own and not depend on anyone. She grew up on the streets, but we see what she is willing to do to protect those that she loves.

There are many misunderstandings that happen between Niko and Renata and they have a difficult time learning to trust in each other. But they have a spark, and there are passion and a certain resilience these two to keep fighting for what they have no matter what difficulties they come across. We see secrets happen, but we also find a love that is tough and full of spine.

When I look into your eyes, one word leaps to my mind every time: Forever.
I really grew to admire these two. Even though they both make mistakes with each other, and in certain decisions that they choose to make. But they also have something so real in ways that any reader could easily relate with. What is most fun about Lara Adrian is how she can make each story come alive and I was flipping through this book as fast as I could. I just couldn’t get enough of this couple or the Midnight Breeds. What a thrilling addition that had me hooked!!

The Cover

This cover is very interesting, quite different from the others, but one aspect I really like is how much it relates with the story.

Overall View

Veil of Midnight is an exhilarating ride of desire, adventure, dangerous scenarios and characters that will spell bind you. A STIMULATING ADVENTURE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Nov 11, 2015 |
Paranormal Romance. Midnight Breed 5. Renata female psychic. Nico golden Vampire. OK-
  C4RO | Jun 1, 2015 |
Another powerful entry in the Midnight Breed series. This story was more action than romance but I think it worked for the couple. Niko is an adrenaline junkie who lives for battle. He loves creating new weapons to help the Order in their fight against evil. Renata is an unwilling bodyguard to a powerful Gen One vampire. She also has the psychic ability that renders vampires helpless. Together they are force to be reckoned with.

The story moved along at a fast pace and while the romance built quickly and predictably, the action kept me turning the pages. There's a lot of head hopping. We get the POV from our hero and heroine, various bad guys, and Andreas. Poor Andreas. It was a bit too much for my taste. The other thing I didn't care for was how cartoonish the villains were. All three of the bad guys presented were run of the mill power hungry bastards. I prefer a little more depth to my bad guys.

After the emotional rollercoaster of Rio's story, the lack of it in Niko's book kind of threw me for a loop. Understandable though. Niko just didn't have the tragic backstory Rio did. I think the fast and furious relationship of Niko and Renata fit their personalities and served as a palate cleanser before moving on to Andreas. Poor, poor Andreas. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
I'm thinking that this series is not quite my cup of tea. Take this book for example: I had a big trouble finishing it and I actually thought about giving up on the whole thing. Glad I didn't because I actually liked the ending and I think there's some getting used to the writing for me, still. The characters were quite engaging, but I didn't feel connected to them aside from Mira, whom I think should get her own novel in the series for when she's all grown up. I like the story line with Hunter and that's why I'll keep going with the series. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |

Bound by blood, addicted to danger, they'll enter the darkest—and most erotic—place of all.A warrior trained in bullets and blades, Renata cannot be bested by any man—vampire or mortal. But her most powerful weapon is her extraordinary psychic ability—a gift both rare and deadly. Now a stranger threatens her hard-won independence—a golden-haired vampire who lures her into a realm of darkness…and pleasure beyond imagining. A combat-loving adrenaline junkie, Nikolai dispenses his own justice to enemies of the Breed—and his latest quarry is a ruthless assassin. One woman stands in his way: the seductive, cool-as-ice bodyguard, Renata. But Renata’s powers are put to the test when a loved one, a child, is threatened and she’s forced to turn to Niko for help. As the two join forces, as desire fans the flames of a deeper hunger, Renata’s life is under siege by a man who offers the exquisite pleasure of a blood bond—and a passion that could save or doom them both forever.…

"A warrior trained in bullets and blades, Renata cannot be bested by any man--vampire or mortal. But her most powerful weapon is her extraordinary psychic ability--a gift both rare and deadly. Now a stranger threatens her hard-won independence--a golden-haired vampire who lures her into a realm of darkness...and pleasure beyond imagining..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,973,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible