Forbidden by Syrie James

Well, let me start off by saying that I LOVE Alec & Claire...I even Love Brian & Erica...

The story in itself wasn't horrible. It's actually quite sweet....

I don't know what it was about this story for me that made it such a struggle...Because I have read Fantasy that has had a lot of romance in it the way this one did...And I loved it....But this one, I guess I was expecting something out of it I wasn't getting. I continued to get bored but yet, I wanted to know what happened..And if I tried to skip past parts, I'd have to go back and read over what I skipped.

I think the only reason I didn't give this book lower than a 3 was because of the characters.

This book was written by two people...A Mother & Son duo...And I could usually tell when the Mom was writing over the son...I'm assuming that the son wrote Alec's part and Mom wrote Claire's..Because that's usually when I was able to REALLY get into it...When it was Claire's POV...But by the last few chapters, I think son finally got the hang of it and his parts got a little bit better...It seemed like they were kind of holding each other back or one was holding the other back..I couldn't quite figure out which was happening...Sometimes, it seemed like Alec's POV wanted to go further but couldn't because he may have been waiting for Claire's POV to say or get to her part in that particular part of the story...

All in all, it wasn't a horrible story...But it wasnt the best I've ever read either....If there ever was a book two...I am not sure if I would go further in the story...Because I feel it would be kind of predictable...Many of the parts in the book were so cheesy and all I could do was shake my head...Especially at the overly-obvious fight scenes..when the good guy always moved to the side just in time to keep from getting killed, cut, etc...

Next Topic and something that irked me

Okay. Now, I know I'm being a bit nit-picky {that's a word right? lol}...But okay...It's always disturbed me a little bit...okay, a LOT to hear people describe other people, or anything dealing with what a person is doing..like they're food. To say YUMMY to describe someone they find attractive. Or to say, like in this book, "He does have a luscious accent". Luscious? Really?...Now, I know this may set a few people off b.c they use words/phrases like this. That's not my intention..Its just my personal opinion about people being 'described' in such a way....

Moving along from there....

So...I suggest that if you read this book...Don't go into it expecting too much..You may be disappointed...I'm sure there are many who will love this book...And rave about it...But I just happen to be one who does not love this book...

[bc:Forbidden|11603886|Forbidden|Syrie James|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328978041s/11603886.jpg|16546267]

But I must say...The cover is beautiful..And was the first thing that caught my attention...Now, maybe as time goes by, my opinion may change a little bit about this book..but right now...I am just feeling OKAY about this book....:-) ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I didn't actually finish this, I only reached page 137. It is your average paranormal high school angel romance, enough that I would have finished reading it, most likely, and probably given it a decent rating. So why did I stop?

I have noticed an increasing trend in young adult books using derogatory terms in reference to individuals with developmental disabilities, in this case, on page 137, "Holy crap," Erica said. "We've been so short-bus about this."

Teenagers probably think this is funny and just read it, laugh or not, and go on. As someone who writes and also works with children with disabilities in an elementary school, where we are trying to stamp out bullying and engender understanding, it truly dismays me when I see this happen in books that have recently been published. The children I work with are kind and loving, they are just different. They have autism or cerebral palsy or Down syndrome, in some cases other syndromes. There are some wonderful students at our school who come and volunteer as peer buddies to students in our class, and become their friends and understand their differences better.

Yes, sometimes people with disabilities act differently in public, make strange noises, or do strange things. They are honest, they don't hide who they are. Just because some of them can't speak doesn't mean they don't have things to say, they just need people willing to take the time to listen.

Authors have a responsibility, to an extent. If we put something in a book or story that's derogatory, there needs to be a good reason for it, not simply put it there to make fun of people at their expense. There's nothing wrong with people who are gay, lesbian, bi, transsexual, transgender, bi-racial, a difference race than our own, etc. etc., and if comments were made about anything like that, there would possibly be a stir about it, but often if it's making fun of disabilities, it doesn't get mentioned.

It is not open season on people with disabilities. Authors need to remember this, think about their audience, and remember that what they write sinks in. It encourages further devaluation of a population that doesn't deserve it, and includes some of the best people I've known.

It's truly a shame, because I think this book has promise. I just think that authors, editors, and publishers such as HarperTeen should think about these things a little more closely. Just because someone with a severe disability might not be reading your books, someone who loves someone who is might be. ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Forbidden is an YA paranormal novel in which we can witness Claire Brennan's discovery of her own amazing nature.
At first, Claire is a silly normal girl that has moved a lot trough the years and wants to find seeks stability in her life.
On the first day of school she meets a exchange student, from Scotland, called Alec. Alec is a strange guy and Claire doesn't know what to think of her attraction for him.
Claire starts having visions and has to keep them a secret, what she doesn't know is that Alec has some secrets of his own, and those secrets should keep him away from her.
This book talks about typical teenage life like hiding secrets from parents, having trouble with friends and struggling to overcome some complicated teachers at school but all that jazz while Claire discover who she is as a supernatural being.
Love and self discovery are key themes in this book but Claire doesn't only discovers herself as a nephilim but she discovers a whole new world, the world of angels, and in that world she discovers who Alec really is.
Loving Alec proves that wether you are human, angel or part angel love is always the most powerful force in the whole world.
In my humble opinion I just think that Claire and Alec are like the perfect contraparts of each other. He has a dark past with awful actions and she is a sweet innocent girl who is just now discovering the true meaning of love and fear.
In the end I think that those who love paranormal fiction, expecially about angels, will love this book and even if you don't usually read this style I think you should try to read this book, since it's very easy going and balanced in terms of action and deep plot.
I would love to see a sequel of this book, since it ends with a humongous cliff hanger, so please authors, if you're reading this, please write a sequel.

As I published in my blog : http://addictedbookslover.blogspot.pt/2015/04/forbidden-by-syrie-james-ryan-m-ja... ( )

Syrie Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
James, Ryan M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
To our loving spouses and family,
for putting up with our
long hours at the computer,
all our brainstorming and
shop talk at family gatherings
(when we were supposed to be
paying attention to everyone),
and for being so supportive of this,
our first published collaboration…
thank you.
And especially to Jeff,
who was the inspiration
and the voice in our heads
whenever we wanted
our characters to say—or do—
something funny.
You are the Pirate King!
It had been a really crappy morning.

Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she’s desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there’s no way she’s going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she’s been having or the creepy warnings that she’s in danger.

Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn’t factored Claire into his plans...
Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire’s unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her? (Extract taken from Amazon.co.uk)

As sixteen-year-old Claire's newly-revealed psychic abilities bring unwelcome attention from Watchers, Alec, a Watcher grown tired of having to eliminate descendants of his angelic forefathers, has fallen in love with Claire while hiding out at her school, unaware that she is a Nephilim, a half-angel.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible