Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt…

Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain (edition 2002)

by Charles R. Cross

Member:sofiamontesdr
Title:Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain
Authors:Charles R. Cross
Info:Hyperion (2002), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:Kurt Cobain, Muisc, EEUU, Nirvana, Grunge

Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R. Cross

English (15)  German (1)  All languages (16)
I think this is a best biography about Kurt I have ever read. Its as colourful as he was... Sometimes sad, sometimes funny...and at the end you will cry. But you must read it. ( )
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
I read a lot of biographies as they are my favorite and this one on Kurt or Kurdt, as he may have preferred at times depending upon his condition, was one that will stick with me a while to ponder. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I picked it up or why I would want to explore this seemingly wasted life. But shortly into the story I sound it both fascinating and riveting. Since completing the book I read some commentary regarding Charles Cross' supposed slant and those questioning some truthfulness in the book. Also I read a mention of Courtney Love's influence and direction on it, as well as her supposed shopping of it for a movie. That would seem to be Courtney, not one to hold back on anything. But setting that aside I came away with a feeling that Cross was not grinding out an agenda and found his writing quite impressive.

Cobain in my take from what I saw here was a suicide in the making from birth. The torture he lived through from the very start gendered in me both feelings of pity and scorn. I could not help to feel his destiny was driven by his self paved path of destruction. Much like some of his music a crying out in the dark of the pain and suffering he perceived in so much. Bordering on psychosis it was hard to feel much sympathy for a guy that could not be reached by no matter what or whom. Not even his love for little Frances Bean could alter that path he was on.

Certainly his early childhood and the trauma of his parents' struggles could be cited as a lot of his own trauma, but he is among many in that regard. His physical pain also could be blamed for leading to the heroin downfall, but again not the only one. Yet looking at his creative side the "reluctant" star driven by his private ambition and stood out like not many in the rarefied air of musical stardom. Maybe like many of genius in this field he simply got caught up in the overwhelming pressure and expectation the fame demands. He would not be the first or last. But as Neil Young put it so well in his lyrics, every junky's like a setting sun. ( )
  knightlight777 | Dec 15, 2015 |
i decided to read this book after i saw a memorial to kurt cobain carved in a picnic table at the park. not really knowing that much about kurt cobain or nirvana, i wanted to know what all the fuss was about. i found the book to be a little slow at the beginning, but i ended up really liking it. i got really interested in kurt cobain's life. i was very disturbed by some of ths things he did and said, but when he started the downward sprial of heroin addiction it just made me really sad and i really felt for him. i was crying by the end of it. while the book kept me interested, i'm not sure i'd really recommend this book to anyone unless they were really a kurt cobain fan. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
The author does a commendable job fleshing out every single detail of Kurt's life, from birth to death; however, towards the middle of the book, it became overwhelming. There were *so* many details, especially small music-related details, that the narrative began to become bogged down. It felt as if I were reading a music history rather than a biography of Kurt Cobain. While I enjoyed reading Kurt's history, I felt that some of the music history belonged in another novel. ( )
  amandacb | Jul 1, 2013 |
Please don't waste your time. ( )
  scgervais | Jan 9, 2013 |
For my family, for Christina and for Ashland.
The first time he saw heaven came six hours and fifty-seven minutes after the very moment an entire generation fell in love with him.
Kurt was a complicated, contradictory misanthrope, and what at times appeared to be an accidental revolution showed hints of careful orchestration.
Fame and success only seemed to make him feel worse.
Kurt enjoyed making up his own lyrcis, even as a toddler.
Kurt wrote on his bedroom wall: "I hate Mom, I hate Dad. Dad hates Mom, Mom hates Dad. It simply makes you want to be so sad."
One day he and John Fields were walking home from school when Fields told Kurt, he should be an artist, but Kurt casually announced: "I'm going to be a superstar musician, kill myself, and go out in a flame of glory."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786884029, Paperback)

The art of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain was all about his private life, but written in a code as obscure as T.S. Eliot's. Now Charles Cross has cracked the code in the definitive biography Heavier Than Heaven, an all-access pass to Cobain's heart and mind. It reveals many secrets, thanks to 400-plus interviews, and even quotes Cobain's diaries and suicide notes and reveals an unreleased Nirvana masterpiece. At last we know how he created, how lies helped him die, how his family and love life entwined his art--plus, what the heck "Smells Like Teen Spirit" really means. (It was graffiti by Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna after a double date with Dave Grohl, Cobain, and the "over-bored and self-assured" Tobi Vail, who wore Teen Spirit perfume; Hanna wrote it to taunt the emotionally clingy Cobain for wearing Vail's scent after sex--a violation of the no-strings-attached dating ethos of the Olympia, Washington, "outcast teen" underground. Cobain's stomach-churning passion for Vail erupted in six or so hit tunes like "Aneurysm" and "Drain You.")

Cross uncovers plenty of news, mostly grim and gripping. As a teen, Cobain said he had "suicide genes," and his clan was peculiarly defiant: one of his suicidal relatives stabbed his own belly in front of his family, then ripped apart the wound in the hospital. Cobain was contradictory: a sweet, popular teen athlete and sinister berserker, a kid who rescued injured pigeons and laughingly killed a cat, a talented yet astoundingly morbid visual artist. He grew up to be a millionaire who slept in cars (and stole one), a fiercely loyal man who ruthlessly screwed his oldest, best friends. In fact, his essence was contradictions barely contained. Cross, the coauthor of Nevermind: Nirvana, the definitive book about the making of the classic album, puts numerous Cobain-generated myths to rest. (Cobain never lived under a bridge--that Aberdeen bridge immortalized in the 12th song on Nevermind was a tidal slough, so nobody could sleep under it.) He gives the fullest account yet of what it was like to be, or love, Kurt Cobain. Heavier Than Heaven outshines the also indispensable Come As You Are. It's the deepest book about pop's darkest falling star. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Based on extensive research, more than four hundred interviews, and Kurt Cobain's unpublished diaries, a portrait of the late rock star traces his rise to fame, his relationship with wife Courtney Love, and his tragic suicide.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,273,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible