Written on the Body (1992)

by Jeanette Winterson

English (49)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
I re-read this again recently, and allowed myself to really take my time with it and enjoy the beautiful prose that Jeanette Winterson excels at. I think I enjoyed it more re-reading it with a bit more life experience behind me, than when I read it as a student. It is devastatingly sad in places, and often exquisitely beautiful. There were a few points that didn't appeal as much to me, but the novel lingers in my mind even now.
  misterebby | Jul 5, 2020 |
I struggle with Winterson's style, because she uses her own version of grammar, which brings me out of the story every time I pick up on it.

It was an interesting enough book, but it didn't really move me. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
As a study of language use, the book is a wealth of incredibly beautiful passages and gems of sentences. However, in other aspects, I didn't connect personally to the narrator or their emotions, not to mention the plot. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |
occasionally amazing. will admit to skimming the overdone middle part. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
A short book, with rich prose, about love and loss, adultery and cancer. The gender of the protagonist is never made explicit. ( )
  atreic | May 22, 2019 |
In the end, the narrator appears more touching than revolutionary. But that is no complaint. The novel finds its subversiveness in its central theme -- that love by its nature must make its own rules: "It will not stay still, stay silent, be good, be modest, be seen and not heard, no. It will break out in tongues of praise, the high note that smashes the glass and spills the liquid."
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, J Shepard (Feb 14, 1993)

This fourth effort from British writer Winterson ( Sexing the Cherry ) is a high-concept erotic novelette, a Vox for the postmarital crowd. The narrator, a lifelong philanderer (``I used to think marriage was a plate-glass window just begging for a brick''), has fallen in love with Louise, a pre-Raphaelite beauty. ... One wonders, as Winterson intends, and then wonders some more. For Louise--and the narrator's love for her--never seems quite real; in this cold-hearted novel love itself, however eloquently expressed, is finally nothing more than a product of the imagination.
added by Lemeritus | editPublishers Weekly (Feb 1, 1993)

Like The Passion, Winterson's clever, prize- winning novel, Written on the Body seeks to dazzle the reader with self-conscious brilliance but cannot conceal its cruelty, the bloody chamber behind its opulent facade.
added by Nickelini | editthe Independent, Joan Smith (Sep 13, 1992)

Winterson, Jeanetteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blaauw, Gerrit deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Peggy Reynolds with love
Why is the measure of love loss?
What I wanted to do was to fasten my index finger and thumb at the bolts of your collar bone, push out, spread the web of my hand until it caught against your throat. You asked me if I wanted to strangle you. No, I wanted to fit you, not just in the obvious ways but in so many indentations.
Cheating is easy. There's no swank to infidelity. To borrow against the trust someone has placed in you costs nothing at first. You get away with it, you take a little more and a little more until there is no more to draw on. Oddly, your hands should be full with all that taking but when you open them there's nothing there.

欺骗很容易。一开始凭借某人对你的信任而索取,你不会有丝毫损失。你逃脱了惩罚,你就会要得到更多,更多,直到再也没有什么可被索取。奇怪的是,你拿了那么多,双手本该装满,但摊开时却空空如也。

The most beguilingly seductive novel to date from the author of The Passion and Sexing the Cherry. Winterson chronicles the consuming affair between the narrator, who is given neither name nor gender, and the beloved, a complex and confused married woman. "At once a love story and a philosophical meditation

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,798,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible