Written on the body by Jeanette Winterson

Written on the body (original 1992; edition 1994)

by Jeanette Winterson

3,209441,732 (3.99)101
Member:jxn
Title:Written on the body
Authors:Jeanette Winterson
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 1994.
Collections:Your library, printbooks

Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson (1992)

English (42)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (44)
One of my favourite authors and this book is a departure in style from some of the others I have read. A book about feelings in relationships, with the main focus on love and the joy and pain it can bring. Rather than a fixed story, there are meandering threads which highlight emotions, I enjoyed this. I loved the fact that the narrator was ambiguous in gender, this kept me rethinking my reactions to what they did. It is a short book, but I deliberately put it down to savour it and give myself time to think about it. ( )
  soffitta1 | Jun 13, 2017 |
This novel is a treatise on love, lust, loss and grief. Mostly on love, though. That precise emotion that terrifies. Winterson's writing is also a precise emotion, by turns caustic, funny and beautiful. I loved almost everything. Only the ending let the book down. ( )
  missizicks | Oct 10, 2016 |
Winterson's use of the language is peerless and, if that were all I needed to enjoy a book, I would certainly have enjoyed this one. Really, though, I like a plot somewhere in my novels and there was none to be found here. This one just wasn't quite my thing. ( )
  turtlesleap | Jul 2, 2016 |
Picked up and bashed my way through this book because I was frustrated at the amount of books I had on the go that I was unable to finish - including the latter pages of Les Mis. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Some irritating bits: the first world angst is occasionally too contrived (up all night drinking gin ≠ tragedy) and Elgin is too much a pantomime villain - but the language was beautiful, and the depiction of love very compelling. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Mar 19, 2016 |
Winterson is an amazing writer, so it's a delight to wallow in her exquisite prose. I would enjoy reading a grocery list written by Winterson. So even though I found the main character to be pretty unlikable, and even though the story didn't really seem to have a point, I did enjoy reading this. I do like stories where the gender of characters is ambiguous - the narrator's gender is never explicitly stated. ( )
  Gwendydd | Feb 15, 2015 |
In the end, the narrator appears more touching than revolutionary. But that is no complaint. The novel finds its subversiveness in its central theme -- that love by its nature must make its own rules: "It will not stay still, stay silent, be good, be modest, be seen and not heard, no. It will break out in tongues of praise, the high note that smashes the glass and spills the liquid."
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, J Shepard (Feb 14, 1993)

This fourth effort from British writer Winterson ( Sexing the Cherry ) is a high-concept erotic novelette, a Vox for the postmarital crowd. The narrator, a lifelong philanderer (``I used to think marriage was a plate-glass window just begging for a brick''), has fallen in love with Louise, a pre-Raphaelite beauty. ... One wonders, as Winterson intends, and then wonders some more. For Louise--and the narrator's love for her--never seems quite real; in this cold-hearted novel love itself, however eloquently expressed, is finally nothing more than a product of the imagination.
added by Lemeritus | editPublishers Weekly (Feb 1, 1993)

Like The Passion, Winterson's clever, prize- winning novel, Written on the Body seeks to dazzle the reader with self-conscious brilliance but cannot conceal its cruelty, the bloody chamber behind its opulent facade.
added by Nickelini | editthe Independent, Joan Smith (Sep 13, 1992)

Jeanette Wintersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blaauw, Gerrit deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Peggy Reynolds with love
Why is the measure of love loss?
What I wanted to do was to fasten my index finger and thumb at the bolts of your collar bone, push out, spread the web of my hand until it caught against your throat. You asked me if I wanted to strangle you. No, I wanted to fit you, not just in the obvious ways but in so many indentations.
Cheating is easy. There's no swank to infidelity. To borrow against the trust someone has placed in you costs nothing at first. You get away with it, you take a little more and a little more until there is no more to draw on. Oddly, your hands should be full with all that taking but when you open them there's nothing there.

欺骗很容易。一开始凭借某人对你的信任而索取,你不会有丝毫损失。你逃脱了惩罚,你就会要得到更多,更多,直到再也没有什么可被索取。奇怪的是,你拿了那么多,双手本该装满,但摊开时却空空如也。

The most beguilingly seductive novel to date from the author of The Passion and Sexing the Cherry. Winterson chronicles the consuming affair between the narrator, who is given neither name nor gender, and the beloved, a complex and confused married woman. "At once a love story and a philosophical meditation."--New York Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

Written on the body is a secret code only visible in certain lights, the accumulations of a lifetime gather there. In places the palimpsest is so heavily worked that the letters feel like braille.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,906,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible