Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Cell by Stephen King

Cell

by Stephen King

9,217241514 (3.45)1 / 167
    Primitive by J. F. Gonzalez (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The situations in both books are somewhat similar.
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    Dead Sea by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)

English (217)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (239)
This is by far one of King's most gripping works. We are instantly transported to a world where all hell appears to have broken loose. Humanity is not what it used to be! Follow Clay Riddell on a memorable adventure, which promises to meet the needs of even the darkest of souls. ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
This is a book I read and liked. Did that before I was into tracking what I read online and sometimes leave a (short) review or just my ten cents on what I read.

I intended to re-read, but the truth is, that I won't be doing that. So my recollection of the book: eerie, that an every day item can be the source of so much trouble! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 24, 2018 |
A história começa momentos antes do Impulso. Momentos antes do mundo desabar. E tudo porque algo (um vírus informático talvez...) é enviado a todos os telemóveis do mundo, levando a que todos aqueles que atendem a chamada, enlouquecem...
Seguimos a história do ponto de vista dos sobreviventes, dos normais, aqueles que não tinham telemóvel ou que perceberam a tempo que este era o veículo da loucura.
A ideia é boa, não é? Infelizmente a história é contada de uma forma pouco ou nada cativante. A primeira sensação que tive foi que estava a ler um guião de um filme. Os diálogos existiam mas o raciocínio das personagens é quase inexistente. Foi, por isso, muito difícil identificar-me com eles, sentir pena ou horror com elas. Por vezes (demasiadas até...) desejei-lhes a morte para acabar com o meu sofrimento e acabar o livro de vez.
Por falar em horror, as descrições das partes mutiladas e cheias de puz de uns e outro são óptimas, tiram a fome a qualquer um. No entanto, são tão gratuitas e desprovidas de dramatismo que a nem isso é interessante de ler.
Esperava mais do Stephen King. Li o "Carrie" há muitos anos e lembro-me de ter adorado. O que é que aconteceu afinal? Estará o Stephen King cansado de escrever, ou então com a sua escrita tão mecanizada que já perdeu a sua paixão pelas palavras?
Fraco este "Cell" e não fiquei nada contente com o fim... Fraco, muito fraco... ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
The idea of this story was interesting, but it just fell short in its execution. The ending, especially, was such a let-down, just a "cliff-hanger" which is inexcusable when investing in a long novel. Stephen King is my favorite horror author - I love his classics, but not everything he writes can be a masterpiece, I suppose. It somebody else wrote this book, I would give it three stars, but I only give this two stars because I expect much more from King. ( )
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
I wanted to preface this by noting that Stephen King is my favorite all time writer and I have read most of his novels. Having said that, Cell is an absolute mess of a novel. There was nothing about it that made any sense. King must really have been fixated on phones and computers while writing this. From what I can gather from reading this novel, the human brain is basically a hard drive that can be wiped out and reprogrammed. It can also be exposed to viruses and worms just like a computer. In this novel, some mysterious pulse occurs, which turns people into ultraviolent, nonsensical monsters, but these are only the people who have cell phones. Good thing this didn’t happen now or the whole human race would have been taken down in one shot, since I don’t know very many people who don’t have cell phones.

The story follows a group of survivors from Boston, where Clay, a struggling comic book artist who finally gets his break, is trying to return to his ex-wife and son in Maine. Along the way, they meet other survivors and have confrontations with the phone zombies. The best part of this novel is the characterization. I thought that the characters in this story were well done, starting with Clay but also with the other members of the group. Where the book falls apart is that the plot and concept behind the book are a train wreck. There is no explanation for anything. Somehow, I’m supposed to believe that a pulse, whatever the hell that is (is it a solar flare, an electro magnetic event, something supernatural) can wipe clean the brains of anyone who has a cell phone, and then give the phone zombies a hive mind, telepathy, voice projection to the normal people who were not affected, the ability to control the minds and actions of those unaffected, and even the ability to levitate. With no explanation whatsoever how any of this is happening. I’m sorry, but in a book like this you need some type of explanation, but apparently King didn’t feel that his readers deserved to know how any of this was happening. This novel came in that time period after King’s accident where he was putting out the worst material of his career, e.g. Lisey’s Story, Bag of Bones, the final chapter of the Dark Tower, etc. I’ll give him a pass because the body of his work is so much better than this.

Carl Alves - author of Battle of the Soul ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jun 17, 2018 |
If you have ever worried that using mobile phones might scramble your brain, Stephen King suggests you may just be right. It all happens at 3.02pm one afternoon, when everyone in the world using a cellphone suddenly becomes a violent maniac.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Matthew Lewin (Feb 25, 2006)

Stephen King is supposed to have retired. A year ago, he published the final part of his seven-book Dark Tower saga with the book of the same name - a novel so crushingly disappointing that, reluctantly, all but King's most ardent fans were forced to agree with the author himself that it was probably time for him to stop and enjoy the royalties from his 40 or so bestsellers.

Cell is Stephen King's first full-length novel since his threatened retirement in 2003. Of course, this most prolific of authors has not been idle during this period, penning a collaborative non-fiction book about baseball, a regular column for the popular US magazine Entertainment Weekly, several short stories, and even a short (and slightly puzzling) noir novel, The Colorado Kid, for small publisher Hard Case Crime. This is the first of two new novels to be published this year, with Lisey's Story to follow in October.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Feb 12, 2006)

This is the way the world ends... not with a bang, but a whimper.
— T. S. Elliot

Actually, it ends with a "pulse" -- an errant cell phone signal that wipes away the user's humanity, 'rebooting' their brain back to something basic... primordial... and evil. Even those within earshot of the gray matter draining signal suffer a kind of evolutionary epilepsy, reverting to a state of pure impulse and mental confusion. As the feeling consumes its host, madness takes over, and there is only one way to satisfy this cruel craving. The insanity must be met with violence, quelling the instinctual bloodlust that lay dormant inside every person's DNA. Thus the world ends, and it's the very people who protected and prospered upon it who are now intent on taking it down.
added by stephmo | editPop Matters, Bill Gibron (Feb 9, 2006)

If the stretch of years between Sept. 11 and last fall's Kashmir earthquake has reminded us of anything, it's that history can take a drastic turn in one day. Stephen King jumps into the middle of one such day on the opening pages of Cell, his first full-length novel since he came off what has to be the shortest-ever retirement not involving professional boxing. Happily wandering Boston after selling a comic-book pitch, artist Clay Riddell watches as the world goes mad when a mind-wiping electronic pulse turns everyone using a cell phone into a violent zombie.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cell (2016IMDb)
The id will not stand for a delay in gratification. It always feels the tension of the unfulfilled urge. - Sigmund Freud
Human aggression is instinctual. Humans have not evolved any ritualized aggression-inhibiting mechanisms to ensure the survival of the species. For this reason man is considered a very dangerous animal. - Konrad Lorenz
Can you hear me now? - Verizon
For Richard Matheson and George Romero
The event that came to be known as The Pulse began at 3:03 p.m., eastern standard time, on the afternoon of October 1.

Cell is an apocalyptic horror novel concerning a New England artist struggling to reunite with his young son after a mysterious signal broadcast over the global cell-phone network turns masses of his fellow humans into zombies.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743292332, Hardcover)

Witness Stephen King's triumphant, blood-spattered return to the genre that made him famous. Cell, the king of horror's homage to zombie films (the book is dedicated in part to George A. Romero) is his goriest, most horrific novel in years, not to mention the most intensely paced. Casting aside his love of elaborate character and town histories and penchant for delayed gratification, King yanks readers off their feet within the first few pages; dragging them into the fray and offering no chance catch their breath until the very last page.

In Cell King taps into readers fears of technological warfare and terrorism. Mobile phones deliver the apocalypse to millions of unsuspecting humans by wiping their brains of any humanity, leaving only aggressive and destructive impulses behind. Those without cell phones, like illustrator Clayton Riddell and his small band of "normies," must fight for survival, and their journey to find Clayton's estranged wife and young son rockets the book toward resolution.

Fans that have followed King from the beginning will recognize and appreciate Cell as a departure--King's writing has not been so pure of heart and free of hang-ups in years (wrapping up his phenomenal Dark Tower series and receiving a medal from the National Book Foundation doesn't hurt either). "Retirement" clearly suits King, and lucky for us, having nothing left to prove frees him up to write frenzied, juiced-up horror-thrillers like Cell. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

It may seem odd, but it's true--something as simple as one phone call can change the world forever. And that's exactly what happenes on October 1, when a single pulse is simultaneously transmitted through every cell phone on the planet. After the Pulse, an unspeakable transformation occurs. People everywhere begin devolving into inhuman killing machines--and civilization as we know it grinds to a halt in a terrifying riot of violence.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible